Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hello to all. I finaly bought an iPad. Not the big one, the mini!
Until recently, I've never felt the need to have a tablet, for me it was a waste of money.

Some days ago, I was at an Apple retail store and there was a white iPad mini. It got my eyes! The design, the weight, the feeling, the silver and white combo, the screen, the fluidity… I don't need a super mega resolution to enjoy it. I already have it on my 27" ACD. 1024x768 on the mini is good enough for me.

Now the rant. Why can't I have a Finder application on iOS? I don't want to access the file system or the applications folder!
I want to access my home folder. I want to have music, movies, documents…. folders inside my personal folder and use them. I want to copy/move files from osx/ios.
Why cant I place office/iwork docs on the documents folder? Why can't I copy a mp4 file to the movies folder? Why can't I download dmg/zip files on safari and have them placed on the downloads folder?
Have this app for this, have that app for that… and on, and on…

On OSX I have the freedom to organize my folders/files as I like. Why can't I do it on iOS?

Another thing. Please stop this ipad classic / mini war! If you like you're ipad 1/2/3/4, have fun. If you own and like you're ipad mini have fun too!

Sorry, I just needed to vent. I've ended buying the Air Sharing application and I'm organizing my personal files on it. It's just not the same as on OSX...
This is just my personal opinion. Anyone is free to have a different one. Enjoy you're iOS gear. If it's good for you, have a lot of fun.

Best regards,

Xanix

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Until recently, I've never felt the need to have a tablet, for me it was a waste of money.

Some days ago, I was at an Apple retail store and there was a white iPad mini. It got my eyes! The design, the weight, the feeling, the silver and white combo, the screen, the fluidity… I don't need a super mega resolution to enjoy it. I already have it on my 27" ACD. 1024x768 on the mini is good enough for me.

Now the rant. Why can't I have a Finder application on iOS? I don't want to access the file system or the applications folder!
I want to access my home folder. I want to have music, movies, documents…. folders inside my personal folder and use them. I want to copy/move files from osx/ios.
Why cant I place office/iwork docs on the documents folder? Why can't I copy a mp4 file to the movies folder? Why can't I download dmg/zip files on safari and have them placed on the downloads folder?

On OSX I have the freedom to organize my folders/files as I like. Why can't I do it on iOS?

Another thing. Please stop this ipad classic / mini war! If you like you're ipad 1/2/3/4, have fun. If you own and like you're ipad mini have fun too!

Sorry, I just needed to vent. I've ended buying the Air Sharing application and I'm organizing my personal files on it. It's just not the same as on OSX...
This is just my personal opinion. Anyone is free to have a different one. Enjoy you're iOS gear. If it's good for you, have a lot of fun.

Best regards,

Xanix

It's simpler and easier to use for elderly people and young children. It's great. It's also not a computer in the traditional sense.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Because its an iPad not a mac.

The iPad is made for making the basics even simpler - surfing the web, reading emails, books, watching movies, viewing pictures, listening to music and playing games.

It only accepts these files in their final form so that it is simple to access them once on the iPad - that way there is no need to file/sort/rearrange them. Each app handles each different file type.

There is no need for you to think "where should i put this file" when using an iPad.

ps. Sorry for sounding like a an Apple drone however iPads really are just that simple. :apple:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Best regards,

Xanix

All of the stuff you mentioned is not needed. You think it is but it isn't. Everything is in its place.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Partially you can solve your issue with apps like GoodReader which allows you to manage files in folders; similar as we know from other OS. You could also use DropBox to get better access to files from different apps. You can even combine both approaches. It still not the same as Finder or Explorer but that's the design decision Apple made and we cant avoid without workarounds (or jailbreak).

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
For iOS, Apple is trying to get away from the 'file system' as a necessary thing for the user to ever worry about. Sounds weird, but when you get used to it, it makes sense. It's the same sort of simplicity in the way that apps are just a single icon. You don't need to know the files behind it, or how to modify it...it installs where it's supposed to go, and that's that. Media files you add go where they are supposed to go, and they are instantly accessible when you open the app that reads them.

There are file system browsers you can download to monkey a little with the files, but there's usually not a need (I only did it to transfer the save files from my iPhone Angry Birds to my iPad mini, so I didn't have to re-beat all the same levels again.)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Apps that use 'documents' like Pages or Numbers can store them in the cloud, where they are visible and accessible via your iMac, MacbookPro, or another iPad signed in with your account. No need to copy and transfer files in the traditional sense.

Music is also stored in the cloud and accessible automatically from all of your Apple devices.

Movies are also stored in the cloud. That way you can download them at will, I keep about 4 or 5 movies on my iPad at any one time. I have hundreds to choose from. If I get the itch for a movie, I can download it from the cloud and mirror it my friends AppleTV and off we go watching a movie I own on their TV with absolutely no fuss, no lost or scratched disk.

Couldn't be much easier than that.

There are a few files I use at work that I do not store on the cloud, I save them to my local webdav server. Easy peasy.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I am also very frustrated with the many restrictions we have in iOS, but that's life. The tradeoff is that we have great apps, great service, great devices, etc., etc. Android is a viable option nowadays, depending on your use case.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It's certainly more "restrictive" than the desktop OS but it's been that way since day one. The lines may blur at some point in the future but for now, if that's the deal-breaker, don't expect it to change anytime soon.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
While yes it is very limiting (you're a liar if you say it isn't, try sending an mp3 to another ipad...) the apps make up for it

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
The irony is, with most desktop OS, even to a degree Android too you have freedom and Apple are accused of a close shop, dumbed down glorified app launcher...yet it works because it fits into so many people's life. The content is key and apps are so brilliantly crafted that you don't need any other clutter (IMO).

It's not so much dumbed down but minimalistic for better, more fluid UI experience.

Xanix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Are people still starting threads like this, in 2013?

Well, maybe I'm really getting old!
Do you know when I bought my first Apple product? 2004, February.
Yes, a fantastic PowerMac G5 for my birthday… It's retired now. On his box in the garage.

I think I've started lurking Macrumors on 2005; maybe 2006...

Regards,

Xanix

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Are people still starting threads like this, in 2013?

for programmers, file systems are important. Once you're used to writing programs and using a terminal all the time, it's second nature to know where all your files are and how programs handle them. I know it's not the same experience on iPad or iPhone, but as a programmer, it's nice to know where and how things are stored and how things work.

Claefer

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
For years Jobs expressed his disappointment with the file manager becoming the "face" of an OS and sought ways to redefined the user experience by simplifying the UI to a point where only professionals would need it. I got the impression the Jobs saw OS X as this obstinate yet viable mess and iOS represents a second chance at doing an OS the right way.

Personally, if there's one Mac app I wish Apple would port over to iOS it's not the Finder but Font Book.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont care about the filesystem, however many months / years ago VLC made an ios application that was free. It was eventually taken down do to licensing issues. Now its replaced with vlc streamer which sucks really bad. Thankfully I got a copy of the original VLC app and this had made things so much easier in terms of video playback. I dont have to worry about changing or re-encoding any video file. Any video type just works in the lovely vlc fashion you would expect.

There are alot of things ios doesnt have. but at least i have my VLC =)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I don't want to access the actual file system, but would like a central hierarchical storage app that I can then use to organise my files and "open in" any compatible app

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Why are there so many people so irrationally against a file system in iOS??? We're not talking full access, but like the OP said, having specific repositories for certain file types would help so many of us.

Screw the BS about it not being a Mac. iOS obviously already has a full functioning file system. A file system does not equal antiquated. Post PC does not mean the absence of a file system (duh the photos app is a file system folder that they actually let us access). It's no different from your beloved Dropbox.

Stop the bully posts from people who want their products as dumbed down as possible. Just because its there doesn't mean you've got to use it.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Stop the bully posts from people who want their products as dumbed down as possible. Just because its there doesn't mean you've got to use it.

You must have got picked on as a child, or still do, if you think those are bully posts.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
While I agree with you that there are some annoying limitations, I can't imagine a situation where I would need to send an MP3 to another iPad.

You're at a friends house and you're playing some music and he says "i like that song send it to me"

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
You must have got picked on as a child, or still do, if you think those are bully posts.

Indeed a bit too exaggerated on my part, but I've seen too many posts in other threads from people that offer no compelling arguments other then, 'it should be without features and options because I don't want them'.

And no I wasn't picked on as a child, and in fact regret all of the harsh things I recall saying to others for the sake of trying to be cool. :(

----------

You're at a friends house and you're playing some music and he says "i like that song send it to me"

I agree that file transfers should be possible, but that ability for copyrighted music would amount to piracy without some sort of drm limited usage restrictions. You and your friend should each get a Zune ;)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
And if you're not around wifi the cloud is an awesome way to burn through your data cap.
Excellent point! Like all things in life, you must use it within reasonable limits. For example, my car will go a little faster than the speed limit ( downhill, with a tail wind ), but I make sure that I keep the speed under control. Easy peasy.

----------

While yes it is very limiting (you're a liar if you say it isn't, try sending an mp3 to another ipad...) the apps make up for it
Tapping iTunes icon->Tap Purchased->Tap little cloud next to Promises(Skrillex & Nero Remix) Done! What's so limiting or difficult with that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.