Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:39 AM   #26
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

Modern Journalism: Get the scoop first no matter how inaccurate it is. Later backtrack and say, "Ooops! Our bad."
bdkennedy1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:41 AM   #27
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

I realize that plastic is cheaper than aluminum but the latter is a very cheap material too (and there's not much of it used in an iPhone shell "as is"). How much of a difference could switching the shell material make in the cost of the "cheap" iPhone? $10? Maybe $20?

I perceive the concept of a need for a cheaper iPhone to be something that competes with the really cheap Android smart phones (which can be had for much less than $300, $500, or $700 off contract) is going to take more than just replacing a little aluminum with a little plastic. That switch helps cut unit cost (a little). I would think much more would have to be cut to have a shot at a truly cheap iPhone that still gives Apple it's target margin.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 AM   #28
PBF
macrumors 68030

So no Meth this summer?
PBF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:43 AM   #29
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Good, it seemed a bit odd for a couple of reasons. Although I almost began looking forward to an iPhone Meth. It may just be what Apple needs to keep their fans addicted, now that Steve Jobs is gone.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #30
powers74
macrumors 68000

WWhhhrrrrrrttt

As a turntable comes scratching to a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
I realize that plastic is cheaper than aluminum but the latter is a very cheap material too (and there's not much of it used in an iPhone shell "as is"). How much of a difference could switching the shell material make in the cost of the "cheap" iPhone? $10? Maybe $20?
Especially if it's going to be Milled polycarb. The process and time are the major cost factors in this case, not the material.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #31
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Ooops !
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:46 AM   #32
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Hopefully, iOS 7 will see some welcomed changes, and i think it'll be one of the biggest updates to iOS.
As far as hardware goes, we will see a 5S looking exactly like the 5 with the usual spec bumps + 1 new feature not available on the 5. I don't think it will be NFC, but more like a camera/flash upgrade.
I think that iOS 7 will have some UI changes, but not enough time to redevelop it. I agree with those that state iOS 8 (or even later). Jony Ive doesn't rush things.
TMay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:46 AM   #33
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Whatever it is, iOS7 better be huge.
I've read that comment before about ios6...
pnoyblazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:52 AM   #34
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

No worries Digitimes. No intelligent person believes anything you publish anyway.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
Modern Journalism: Get the scoop first no matter how inaccurate it is. Later backtrack and say, "Ooops! Our bad."
Very true BUT only applies to once journalistically honest orgs. Digitimes has been a rag ever since Issue #1.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:54 AM   #35
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post

I perceive the concept of a need for a cheaper iPhone to be something that competes with the really cheap Android smart phones (which can be had for much less than $300, $500, or $700 off contract) is going to take more than just replacing a little aluminum with a little plastic. That switch helps cut unit cost (a little). I would think much more would have to be cut to have a shot at a truly cheap iPhone that still gives Apple it's target margin.
It isn't the price of the material that is the issue, it is the price of manufacturing using that material. Machining is more expensive than moulding.

But still, that wouldn't be enough to create a price differentiation. I expect there to be other differences. The material will just as much be about identifying the premium option as it will price.

As an example of the differences I mean. The iPod Touch 4th gen had a lower spec screen than the iPhone 4, even though it had the same resolution. The cheaper iPhone might also be thicker because it misses out on in-cell screen tech.

EDIT: powers74 also made a comment about machining cost while I was writing this reply.
Moonjumper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:00 PM   #36
JAT
macrumors 603

But...but, I've already sold my 5 in anticipation!

/s
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:05 PM   #37
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

No s*** Shirlock.
xraydoc is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #38
thelink
macrumors regular

Stop lying to me!!
thelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:15 PM   #39
ts1973
macrumors 6502

Apple lost me as an iPhone customer the moment their phone went over 500 (unlocked). So unless they truly offer something under 500 that's worth having (and not talking 2 year old tech), I'll continue to explore the other side of the fence... Sorry but IMHO the Apple tax is growing ridiculous : 700-900 for a phone, my God what are they smoking in Cupertino
ts1973 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:17 PM   #40
mdriftmeyer
macrumors 68020

Paid propaganda

In short, ``Don't blame us for taking cash to create a false story to drive the stock down. Blame unnamed sources.''

Withe SEC and DoJ announcing an investigation into these `stories' and stock selloffs I truly want to see some hedgefunds roll.
mdriftmeyer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:18 PM   #41
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So this iPhone Math is just BS?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:23 PM   #42
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
So this iPhone Math is just BS?
I sure hope so. I just hope whatever they do it will be a new improved form factor.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #43
trunten
macrumors regular

I didn't see this coming
trunten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #44
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
Especially if it's going to be Milled polycarb. The process and time are the major cost factors in this case, not the material.
How much of a difference in unit costs though? Spread to tens of millions of units, I can't believe aluminum to plastic, milling, molding and the relevant processes could result in much of a difference in unit costs so that we end up with a much cheaper iPhone retail price.

Nevertheless, every rumor pitches the lower cost iphone with the rationale of using a plastic case instead of aluminum... as if that will make some huge difference. It's not like we're going from platinum or gold to plastic. It's from very cheap metal (is there a cheaper metal) to cheap(er) plastic... but not that much cheaper that I would expect retail unit cost to be significantly less.

If someone thinks aluminum to plastic (milling, process, etc inclusive) will result in a significant reduction of the retail unit price for us consumers, please post how much of a difference you expect. My completely uneducated guess would be maybe $10 per unit. I can't imagine there could be- say- $50 in savings at the retail price per unit level from switching cases.

If this hypothetical cheaper iPhone is coming, it seems it will need lots of cuts in the guts: battery, memory, flash, processor, screen quality, etc. Else, if the guts are about as good as the aluminum-cased phone, then how many is likely to choose the pretty case at a premium over the plastic case at a big discount?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:27 PM   #45
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Hopefully, iOS 7 will see some welcomed changes, and i think it'll be one of the biggest updates to iOS.
As far as hardware goes, we will see a 5S looking exactly like the 5 with the usual spec bumps + 1 new feature not available on the 5. I don't think it will be NFC, but more like a camera/flash upgrade.
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but there is a strong chance that IOS7 will be nearly indistinguishable from IOS6, and IOS5. Big changes arent going to happen to the software or the hardware, only incremental changes. Thats just how Apple rolls!

Saying that if they do shake it all up then I will take it as a sign that they are feeling the competition lol
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:28 PM   #46
joneill55
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Often, not even a retraction or a "sorry, our bad" :-)
joneill55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #47
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2go View Post
I really don't like this idea of having a "bigger" iPhone...
It's like Apple is just listening to customer's demand, but not being the "leader", creating something that will make the user think: "why didn't I think of this" or... "Apple is right!"

sigh.
Good thing you didn't start a company!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:35 PM   #48
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer but there is a strong chance that IOS7 will be nearly indistinguishable from IOS6, and IOS5. Big changes arent going to happen to the software or the hardware, only incremental changes. Thats just how Apple rolls!

Saying that if they do shake it all up then I will take it as a sign that they are feeling the competition lol
These things are generally in production at least a year ahead of their release (hardware side, I'd bet they have the next 2-3 iPhones planned already)....

To say Apple will release ANYTHING as a knee-jerk reaction to competition is ridiculous. If a 4.8" iPhone happens this year or next, I'd guess it was in production/planning back in 2011.....

This is also the reason I don't see the UI of iOS 7 being much different - Ive & Co. just haven't had enough time as it was already in production when Forstall got ousted....

I expect the iPhone 6/iOS 8 to be the big game changers - and will hold on to my iP5 until then!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:37 PM   #49
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Since 'analysts' make wild-ass assertions, without ever needing to be right. I'm going to call myself an analyst and predict that this is the next iPhone:

imageWIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:43 PM   #50
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
It's okay... Nobody believed them anyway.
Really ? The readers comments on the other thread would suggest otherwise...

MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion