Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Ariii
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
PowerBook G5 Battery issues

Hi ! My 867 MHz TiBook is having a weird battery issue.... it charges normally, but at right about ~55% it reports 0% battery life and goes to sleep... It seems similar to this issue.

Has anyone found a solution ?
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Powerbook G5? Have you tried resetting the PMU and other things? The battery might be nearing the end of its life as well.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Powerbook G5? Have you tried resetting the PMU and other things? The battery might be nearing the end of its life as well.
Oops, that was a typo .

I've tried resetting the PMU/PRAM, but the same issue occurs for some reason. Any advice?
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:10 PM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm going to guess that this is an issue with or caused by the G5's immense power requirements.
MisterKeeks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:23 AM   #5
seveej
macrumors 6502a
 
seveej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
Hi ! My 867 MHz TiBook is having a weird battery issue.... it charges normally, but at right about ~55% it reports 0% battery life and goes to sleep... It seems similar to this issue.

Has anyone found a solution ?
This is from the depths of my memory, so take it with a ton of salt:
Had a colleague with a similar issue, sometime back in 2005(ish). We were investigating the problem and solicited the help of an electrical engineer. I can't remember all the tests we did, but the final speculation was that:
- Batteries are a compound of several cells. As batteries age, the cells degrade at different speed. Some cells might still take a full charge, others not.
- when a cell runs empty of charge it usually leads to a sudden drop in voltage, which makes the computer shut down. Thus a battery may be as weak as its weakest cell...
- The metering of remaining capacity may be built on the assumption of all cells being equal and thus be based on only a number of cells (and extrapolated), thus giving false results.

OP, do you have the same thing as the poster in apple discussions, that your battery reports (Sys info or coconut) an absurd capacity?

RGDS,
__________________
MP 3,1 'nuff RAM, 3 HDD's, 1 SSD, AMD 5770, 10.6
2009 Mini, as server
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Ariii
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Ariii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
This is from the depths of my memory, so take it with a ton of salt:
Had a colleague with a similar issue, sometime back in 2005(ish). We were investigating the problem and solicited the help of an electrical engineer. I can't remember all the tests we did, but the final speculation was that:
- Batteries are a compound of several cells. As batteries age, the cells degrade at different speed. Some cells might still take a full charge, others not.
- when a cell runs empty of charge it usually leads to a sudden drop in voltage, which makes the computer shut down. Thus a battery may be as weak as its weakest cell...
- The metering of remaining capacity may be built on the assumption of all cells being equal and thus be based on only a number of cells (and extrapolated), thus giving false results.

OP, do you have the same thing as the poster in apple discussions, that your battery reports (Sys info or coconut) an absurd capacity?

RGDS,
I might have that issue... it reports slightly over 3 hours of battery of left at a full charge, when the actual life is about half of that.
__________________
Indigo iBook Clamshell, MacOS 9; Lime iBook Clamshell, Panther;
MacOS 9 users: Use Classilla | MacOS 9 Lives
I'm on IRC at #macrumors on irc.krono.net
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powerbook G4 12" HD issues metwo PowerPC Macs 3 Nov 26, 2013 05:49 AM
PowerBook G3 OS 9 install issues Lil Chillbil PowerPC Macs 7 May 21, 2013 04:29 PM
Help!!G4 Powerbook Screen Issues LoveAndPeace Mac Basics and Help 8 Feb 16, 2013 06:54 AM
Powerbook G4 Battery Issues DarkSel PowerPC Macs 7 Jan 28, 2013 07:04 PM
PowerBook G4 RAM issues Starfighter PowerPC Macs 4 Jul 4, 2012 01:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC