Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NZweek reports (via The Next Web) that government officials in Indonesia have revealed that Apple has submitted an application outlining plans to relaunch its online store in the country, to be followed by the opening of its first Indonesian retail store in Jakarta.
Chatib Basri, BKPM chairman, said BKPM has given official permission to Apple relating to its plan to open online store in Indonesia. "We have approved their (Apple) application," he said here on Tuesday.

Apple online store in Indonesia is expected to give shorter supply chain and distribution of its products.

Azhar Lubis, deputy chairman of BKPM said Apple will open its store in Indonesia's capital city, Jakarta. "The investment worth around 2 million to 3 million U.S. dollars," he said.
The Next Web notes that Apple previously operated an online store for Indonesia but shut down the store in early 2011 due to issues with shipping products from the store's central hub in Singapore. The store currently remains online only to provide pricing information and connect customers to resellers.

indonesia_store_macbook_air.jpg
Apple has been focused on expanding its international retail store presence, and the company revealed in job listings late last year that it is making plans for its first stores in Brazil and Turkey. Apple has also been said to be looking at expanding sales in Russia.

Article Link: Apple to Open First Retail Store and Resume Online Sales in Indonesia

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Every time i hear about stores in that are of the world i think of "Apu" from The Simpsons. "Thank you! Come again"....

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Every time i hear about stores in that are of the world i think of "Apu" from The Simpsons. "Thank you! Come again"....

I suggest you go visit those areas of the world, if Simpsons has really been your best source of information about Asia, your perspective would be terrible. Indonesia is extremely different from India.

How much!?

Beat me to it!

Rupiah*

1 British Pound Sterling = 15264.10 Indonesian Rupiah
1 US Dollar equals = 9620.00 Indonesian Rupiah

Damn, I wonder if they have one penny sweets like we used to. They'd be 152 times better value!! :D

Thank you for the comparison! They actually used to have 25 rupia sweets back when I lived there. A 20 minute taxi ride in a decent taxi costs around 25 "thou" (thousand Rupiah), so that's around $2.50. Those were good days!

Anyway, Apple is going to clean up in Indo. The upper class is extremely affluent there, so I'd expect a big line for quite a few days of first opening.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
From the screenshot:

Assuming US$ 1 = IDR 9,620

11" MBA 128GB = IDR 11,599,000/9,620 = US$ 1205.72 .. Or we can safely say Apple charges $1,199 for Indonesian folks, give or take.

Not bad, considering it's an Asian country which used to have high import tax and of course additional :apple: tax, because the US Apple Store sell it for $1,099. It's only ~$100 more. :eek:

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
It will be interesting to see what will happen with all those premium retailers. Jakarta has too many Apple retailers. You can literally find one in every shopping mall. Most shopping malls have at least 2-3 premium retailers.

nightmars

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Germany
cheap

That is actually a nice pricing!

The Top 11" MBA (11.6 Mio Rupia) is equivalent to 933€ - That is 19% less than what they actually charge in Europe (Germany): 1149€ - which in Dollar comes to $1532 (without tax) instead of the $1199 (without tax) they charge in the States... anyone in the US still complaining about prices ??? ;)

cheers

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
From the screenshot:

Assuming US$ 1 = IDR 9,620

11" MBA 128GB = IDR 11,599,000/9,620 = US$ 1205.72 .. Or we can safely say Apple charges $1,199 for Indonesian folks, give or take.

Not bad, considering it's an Asian country which used to have high import tax and of course additional :apple: tax, because the US Apple Store sell it for $1,099. It's only ~$100 more. :eek:

I wonder if their price includes their tax/VAT? If so, the difference is going to be even closer to USA pricing.

HNS

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
I wonder if their price includes their tax/VAT? If so, the difference is going to be even closer to USA pricing.

I think the tax is included, if you see in the picture, it's say :

"Includes PPN of approx. Rp 963,545"

PPN is Indonesian's tax for products which is usually about 10% of the product's price

indonesia_store_macbook_air.jpg

Last edited:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I think the tax is included, if you see in the picture, it's say :

"Includes PPN of approx. Rp 963,545"

PPN is Indonesian's tax for products which is usually about 10% of the product's price

Thanks. I saw that on the add, however not living nor having had the chance to visit Indonesia, I wasn't sure what PPN meant or if there were additional taxes on top of that. So the $100 price difference is even less as you need to add ~8% sales tax for the USA. So not bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.