Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
Just got a 2nd generation Time Capsule from someone who no longer needed it. Here was my initial setup:

-I set up the Time Capsule to join my existing wireless network. This is because we have a printer to which we want to be able to print wirelessly, but the location of our printer is about 30 ft away from the nearest Ethernet jack in our home (and our current router does not have a USB port to plug the printer into so we have to use the Time Capsule for that).

-Our router is an older Linksys and only supports up to 802.11g.

When doing our first Time Machine backup on the Time Capsule, the speed of the backup was super slow (I've got 130GB on my MacBook, and only 30GB had been copied overnight as of this morning). What's more, it was difficult to use the Internet on my work Windows laptop while my MB was backing up. I cancelled the backup, set up the Time Capsule to plug right into the Ethernet jack, and the backup is going more like what I have read I should expect and using the Internet on another laptop at the same time works fine.

My question: is there a way to set up my network so that our computers are connected wirelessly directly to the Time Capsule? In my initial setup, the connections seemed to go this way:

Mac --> Linksys router --> DSL Modem

|​
v​
Time Capsule​

But I'd like it to go this way:

Mac --> Time Capsule --> Linksys router --> DSL Modem

Is that possible? Will that affect my internet speed much? Do I need to tweak my Linksys settings in order to do that? Or should I just buy a 30ft Ethernet cable and connect the Time Capsule to the Linksys router via Ethernet?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I'd personally remove the Linksys as the Time Capsule has router functionalities. The 2nd gen is 802.11n while your Linksys is only G. (Since the Linksys is G, that's what you'll be getting on the TC.) Then just plug the TC into your router and call it a day. This way your computers will always be connected to the TC. If you decide you need to extend your W-Fi further (my TC reaches pretty far), you can always grab an AirPort Express and extend it using that.

If your computers aren't wired, the initial backups will take some time, but it'll get better once they have completed.

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
I'd personally remove the Linksys as the Time Capsule has router functionalities. The 2nd gen is 802.11n while your Linksys is only G. (Since the Linksys is G, that's what you'll be getting on the TC.) Then just plug the TC into your router and call it a day. This way your computers will always be connected to the TC. If you decide you need to extend your W-Fi further (my TC reaches pretty far), you can always grab an AirPort Express and extend it using that.

If your computers aren't wired, the initial backups will take some time, but it'll get better once they have completed.

The point is that we do not want to place the TC near the ethernet jack; we want it across the room next to where the printer is. We probably could simply run a 25'-50' ethernet cable along the wall from the jack to the TC, but if there is a way to set up the network so that the computers connect directly with the TC, which then connects via wifi with the Linksys which is connected to the jack, that would be cleaner.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
My question: is there a way to set up my network so that our computers are connected wirelessly directly to the Time Capsule? In my initial setup, the connections seemed to go this way:

Mac --> Linksys router --> DSL Modem

|​
v​
Time Capsule​

But I'd like it to go this way:

Mac --> Time Capsule --> Linksys router --> DSL Modem

What's stopping you from connecting the DSL Modem to the Time Capsule by a long cable and removing the Linksys completely ?

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
What's stopping you from connecting the DSL Modem to the Time Capsule by a long cable and removing the Linksys completely ?

The printer/desk is not in an ideal place for that. it may end up being the solution, but if there is a way to do what I described in the original post, I would prefer it.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
The printer/desk is not in an ideal place for that. it may end up being the solution, but if there is a way to do what I described in the original post, I would prefer it.

Did I get something wrong, but I thought you wanted to keep the TC next to the Printer (30' from the cable jack) and the DSL Modem next to the cable jack. So the 30' LAN cable connects the TC to the DSL Modem.

Benjer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
Utah
Did I get something wrong, but I thought you wanted to keep the TC next to the Printer (30' from the cable jack) and the DSL Modem next to the cable jack. So the 30' LAN cable connects the TC to the DSL Modem.

Yes, but the cable would have to run across a doorway or on the ceiling. Again, a wireless solution would be preferred.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Yes, but the cable would have to run across a doorway or on the ceiling. Again, a wireless solution would be preferred.

OK. Then you have to make some real trade-offs.
1. Run a cable and get best speeds, minimum extra cost but some layout issues.
2. Try to use the Linksys but get poor speeds.
3. Get an Airport Express. Connect the AE to the Modem. Link the AE to the TC by WiFi N. If you want a fast backup connect by wire to the TC. If not, then connect by WiFi N to the TC.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

Ditch the linksys no matter what. Spend either $99US on an airport express to replace the linksys that will extend the network to the printer at N speeds. Or spend $99US on a wifi printer. I'd go the latter just to simplify the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.