Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apple has along way to go to catch up to the mighty S3, which takes a big dump on the iPhone 5.

Nice crippled pull down notifications on iOS. How are those convenient toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth, Silent?...oh yeah...iOS doesn't have them

If you actually read the context, we were talking about sales numbers - I'm not going to get into an argument about preferences.

Truth is, fans of Android/Samsung everywhere are oooing and ahhhing over the 30 million sold number.....

The iPhone 4S did 37 million in a shorter span.

People are going crazy that the Galaxy line has now sold 50 million phones - impressive to be sure.

The iPhone has sold 3 times that amount.

I'm not saying Samsung hasn't been successful - they have been, and its great. But sales-wise, they aren't on the same level as Apple - yet. And if the iPhone 5 even falls short of estimates by a small margin, it'll still have wildly outsold the GS3 in a shorter period of time.

Again - take sales numbers however you want - I am making ZERO statement about the phones themselves, only literally what I have said. I'm sure I'll get some nasty retorts, but hopefully this serves to calm the more intelligent of the bunch.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Are you new here? :p

Lol - no.....though I still hold out hope for even the members of this forum that not everyone spends every second of their day customizing and flashing roms and the like.....

There are those of us who simply like the way the iPhone works. And that's really all its about.

That being said - if Google EVER sells the Nexus 4 again, I'll be switching my work 4S to the Nexus 4. Excited about it!

Last edited:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Lol - no.....though I still hold out hope for even the members of this forum that not everyone spends every second of their day customizing and flashing roms and the like.....

There are those of us who simply like the way the iPhone works. And that's really all its about.

Yup and I'm one right here. A grown man with grown man resposibilities, don't have time to be playing around fiddling with electronic devices all the time. I have waaaay more important and meaningful things in life to be concerned with that requires my time. The absolute last thing I need is some silly phone to get in my way.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I had every iphone since it came out in 2007. I have only mac computers and ipads. I do now use both an iphone 5 and a galaxy S3. I find the S3 form factor superior in almost every way to the iphone and find myself going to it way more than the iphone 5. I understand it is 100% personal preference, but the more I use the S3 screen, the more the iphone 5 looks like an undersized toy to me. That said, yes, the S3 can be a bit more clumsy to operate with on hand unless you have really long fingers, but it seems way less limiting to me in general and actually feels better in my pocket. When I do switch over to use to the iphone 5, I find myself saying a lot, oh yeah, the iphone can't do that. (little things like not having to type your password each time you want to run an update for an app)

Now all that aside, I hope Apple does come out with something exciting with a larger form. Then it would give the S3/S4 a run for the money for my use as it would be nice to be all synced up using only Apple again. But either way, its not that big of a deal.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I switched from a 4s to a Galaxy Note 2 and I could never go back to a small screen. If Apple does produce this rumored device, I'm definitely down for one.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
If I gained 2 for every 1 the competition brought in (not even that I lost - that number would be higher) then hell ya.....

I know you people want to believe and see Apple fail - but its just not happening. Oh you'll continue to cream your pants over the latest Android and then feel the need to "share" it with everyone else, but some of us aren't controlled by our mobile devices and are perfectly happy where we are.

Until Apple's customer retention rate drops below 70% (or down to Android's level), I'll hold off on the "apple is doomed" comments.

Who said I want apple to fail? What I would like is a larger iphone with an improved ios so it will go well with all of my other apple stuff? ?

I just different business ideas to you. I have a restaurant and I wouldnt want to lose any customers at all Thats all. I think apple makes the best stuff. We arent all Apple haters that have different views.

Think different....

Who said that again????

----------

I switched from a 4s to a Galaxy Note 2 and I could never go back to a small screen. If Apple does produce this rumored device, I'm definitely down for one.

Im in this boat too. Doesnt mean im an android fan.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
iPhone with at least a 4.8" is a must. It should be 5" just to be done. 5" is perfect phone size.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Man, all the children here crying that their precious iPhone will not be so exclusive if Apple offers a larger size to the millions and millions unwashed masses waiting for it.

You have an unhealthy attachment to the 'idea' of and self-identity you get from the iPhone and you really need to let go. It's not what defines you (or maybe it is).

Myself, I welcome the choice. Everyone that must, must use their phone with one hand (still don't know what the fascination is with this) you go right ahead and keep the 2" wide screen you have now. For the rest of us who have two hands when we need them, a 4.8" iPhone is a dream come true.

I'm more concerned how they're going to pull off the construction of it. They can't have it as thin as the current 5 and made with the same soft metal. Even that square shape won't go over well on a larger phone.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I did almost the same. I broke from the iPhone to a Nexus 4. Once I realized what I was missing I wanted more. So I got a Note 2 and am thrilled with it. I can't even look at my 4S at this point. And, let's face it, the iPhone 5 ain't much different.

Unfortunately for Apple they are facing a two-pronged attack: It is not just the gorgeous screen that I love about my Note 2. It is also the features that come with it. The out-of-the-box toggles in notification drop-down, the amazing camera features, the motion features, smart stay, etc. I'm not sure plain old locked down to hell iOS in a larger package would cut it.

Michael

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I did almost the same. I broke from the iPhone to a Nexus 4. Once I realized what I was missing I wanted more. So I got a Note 2 and am thrilled with it. I can't even look at my 4S at this point. And, let's face it, the iPhone 5 ain't much different.

Unfortunately for Apple they are facing a two-pronged attack: It is not just the gorgeous screen that I love about my Note 2. It is also the features that come with it. The out-of-the-box toggles in notification drop-down, the amazing camera features, the motion features, smart stay, etc. I'm not sure plain old locked down to hell iOS in a larger package would cut it.

Michael

Yes. but you've wasted all those IOS apps you bought ...... Yes, and the fact all the Parental controls are all over the place in each app..... Thats much more helpful.

Last edited:

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I'd be interested in getting this, assuming it isn't overpriced and iOS 7 delivers. My upgrade is in July, so a June release would be a perfect.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yes. but you've wasted all those IOS apps you bought ...... Yes, and the fact all the Parental controls are all over the place in each app..... Thats much more helpful.

"Yes, and the fact all the Parental controls are all over the place in each app..... Thats much more helpful?" WTF are you talking about? Good lord.

For the record the only apps I regret buying in iOS are Cydia apps that were rendered useless with no jb for any of my iOS devices. I still have an iPad so anything else I can run just fine.

On Android I have spent <$30 on apps so far. Give or take.

Michael

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
In the same quarter they are bought in ? Ridiculous assertion, unless you can provide sources.

Market share operates on quarterly sales. You're talking installed base.

No, market share is "the portion of a market controlled by a particular company or product." So when referring to "market share", I'm talking about how many people have a certain product, according to the numbers. If you look up market share data, it's typically reported as percentages of sales numbers overall and gains/losses for each quarter. Buying something in one quarter than another product from the same company in the next will count as double points.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No, market share is "the portion of a market controlled by a particular company or product." So when referring to "market share", I'm talking about how many people have a certain product, according to the numbers. If you look up market share data, it's typically reported as percentages of sales numbers overall and gains/losses for each quarter. Buying something in one quarter than another product from the same company in the next will count as double points.

Market share, in every source you can find, refers to current quarterly/yearly/periodical sales. That is it. So claiming that market share is inflated by people getting a phone then throwing it out is false. Market share is what it is for the quarter.

What you're referring to is the install base, whereas what are the devices in actual use by users.

And frankly, please again, Provide Sources, Citation Needed for that great big conspiracy of Android devices being bought, activated then left to rot in drawers. I'm very interested in what sparked this comment and "feeling" in you.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And frankly, please again, Provide Sources, Citation Needed for that great big conspiracy of Android devices being bought, activated then left to rot in drawers. I'm very interested in what sparked this comment and "feeling" in you.

We need a Top 10 Myths Perpetuated about Android and Top 10 Myths Perpetuated about iOS, don't we?

mdaus

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Laugh at it as you may young grasshopper; however "Math," could easily be a poor Chinese translation of "Plus," or the symbol, "+," a more likely working or actual name for a future and larger phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.