Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:04 PM   #176
bonskovsky
Banned

That's why a better screen is something that should be at the top of our lists for the next iPhone.
bonskovsky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:07 PM   #177
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Let's just all agree that the iPhone 5 screen could and should be better.
That I agree with. And I believe that any Apple loyalist who uses the word "perfect" to describe an iPhone should be banned for trolling and being obnoxious.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:15 PM   #178
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I'll just leave this here.

http://gizmodo.com/5960289/htc-droid...e-best-display

Quote:
But a macro shot shows where the Droid DNA really shines: pixel density. The 440 PPI on the Droid DNA packs them in more tightly than anyone else, as the macro lens on our camera can see clearly. Our eyes, on the other hand, couldn't tell much of a difference at all. If you look very, very closely you can kinda of see a little more detail compared to the other "retina" displays, but we're talking almost unnoticeably slight.

So what's the verdict? Sadly, from what we can tell, the Super LCD 3 on the Droid DNA is not an improvement over the Super LCD 2 on the HTC One X. The tiny hair of perceptible added sharpness doesn't make up for the poor color calibration or the dimmer screen.

The HTC Droid DNA isn't a bad screen by any means. But it's the banner feature on this phone, and it's a step backward; it still lags behind the HTC One X and iPhone 5. Which seems like a wasted opportunity in a major way.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HT...Phone-5_id3207
Quote:
Sure, it’s sharp and detailed with its very respectable 326 ppi pixel density, but it has been surpassed by the 441 ppi pixel density conjured up by the DROID DNA’s 5-inch 1080 x 1920 Super LCD-3 display. Although it’s sizable advantage on paper for the DROID DNA, our eyes have difficulty in distinguishing which of the two is delivering the better detail from a normal viewing distance – so essentially, they look equally sharp.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/11/htc-droid-dna/
Quote:
But while this looks great on paper, it doesn’t matter much at all. Seriously. Don’t get me wrong: The DNA’s display is gorgeous, and arguably the best-looking smartphone display out there. But to the naked eye, and over a couple of weeks of daily use, it doesn’t look significantly better than the phones mentioned above, and that’s a good thing.

And now some for the other side:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2014...tery-life.html
Quote:
By comparison, the Retina display on the iPhone 5 has a pixel density of 326ppi, and there is a noticeable difference between the two displays: Text and images on the Droid DNA look sharper than they do on Apple's latest phone, but the iPhone 5 still displays colors more accurately than the Droid DNA. Skin tones and blacks, in particular, look better on the iPhone 5 than they do on the Droid DNA.

http://www.knowyourcell.com/features..._iphone_5.html
Quote:
The iPhone 5 sports Apple’s famous Retina Display technology, which, when compared with regular smartphones, usually wipes the floor with them, but against HTC’s SLCD3 beast it looks lackluster with only 326PPI and a res of 640 x 1136.

Winner – HTC DROID DNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
That I agree with. And I believe that any Apple loyalist who uses the word "perfect" to describe an iPhone should be banned for trolling and being obnoxious.
I will only say that the screen is perfect for it's size. I would have no problems if they went with a bigger screen and improved on it as well. In fact, I welcome it.

But I went back and grabbed more precise screen grabs from the video and posted them earlier. I still implore you to go find the differences in those because the first two screen captures I posted were of slightly different frames. I posed this question (with the same 3 screen grabs) to all my friends and another forum I frequent and I haven't gotten one response back from someone who could point out to me which one was better. I didn't even label the images as to where they came from.

I'm not going to argue numbers. Videography is not my specialty obviously (I code, I don't shoot video). As posted above, most technical review sites even said that real world difference was negligible between a 1080p screen at 5 inches with 440ppi compared to the iPhones non-HD screen at 326ppi and most other Android phones with 720p around or under the same ppi as the iPhone.

Last edited by vastoholic; Jan 20, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:16 PM   #179
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
That's why a better screen is something that should be at the top of our lists for the next iPhone.
Sure, but if they increase the resolution they should increase the size too.

Increasing the resolution without increasing the size won't do a thing.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:44 PM   #180
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Who even cares, really?

Speaking technically, the iPhone is not HD

Speaking realisticly, there is no noticeable difference

It's like the argument between iPhone and android processors. The iPhone technically has a slower processor than top-end android phones, but in reality, it performs better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Sure, but if they increase the resolution they should increase the size too.

Increasing the resolution without increasing the size won't do a thing.

Increasing the resolution won't do a thing either.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:06 PM   #181
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

It doesn't but on a screen that tiny it doesn't matter
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:40 PM   #182
GoSh4rks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack7 View Post
Exactly. 720p and 1080p haven't got much difference in resolution, but some people want to say that they have a 1080p screen just to say they have the highest display, although they probably don't notice it.
1080p has over twice the number of pixels that 720p does. That is a significant difference.
GoSh4rks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:55 PM   #183
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The Apple loyalists are just going through a classic denial phase after I repeatedly shown that they are wrong using both mine and their own evidence. And apparently they don't know how to calculate how many pixels are on a display or how interpolation works.
Who the frak cares? At 4", the difference between the iPhone 5's native resolution and 1280x720 is imperceptible. At 4.8", maybe. At 4", no.

Even in the Android world, you don't see 1080p screens under 5". Why? Because it just doesn't freaking matter (that, and they're not manufacturing them smaller than 5" because ATM it's too difficult to do economically).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:04 PM   #184
bonskovsky
Banned

The 13-inch MacBook Pro is just 6 iPhone screens put together. I would like to, and can, see the difference on a 4 inch screen.

In fact, phones need to be clearer than TV's because your face is right up on it.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:00 PM   #185
terraphantm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Who the frak cares? At 4", the difference between the iPhone 5's native resolution and 1280x720 is imperceptible. At 4.8", maybe. At 4", no.

Even in the Android world, you don't see 1080p screens under 5". Why? Because it just doesn't freaking matter (that, and they're not manufacturing them smaller than 5" because ATM it's too difficult to do economically).
The difference is imperceptible at a viewing distance of approximately 1 foot for the average person. If you choose to use your phone from a closer distance and/or have better than average vision, the difference can be detected.

The extra usability would be limited for sure, but it's misleading to say the difference is imperceptible.
terraphantm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:16 PM   #186
bonskovsky
Banned

There's no such thing as imperceptible when it comes to these things. I'm tired of not being able to see the details. I want an HDTV or better, condensed into a phone.

I was trying to read text on an image I thought was HD but it's just blurry. Are HD videos supposed to get blurry when you zoom in? I don't think so.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:35 AM   #187
hyteckit

Quote:
This means that on the iPhone 5, you get display artifacts when you watch 720p HD videos since it can't display it at the correct resolution.
Um.. what?

You get artifacts because of poor compression, poor decoding, and poor download speeds.

----------

Quote:
Disagree. This is classic Apple loyalist denial when they don't have something the competition has. You are missing 200,000 pixels on the iPhone 5, which causes display artifacts on 720p video. This is a significant amount of missing pixels.
You don't know what you are talking about.

----------

Quote:
I think you should be banned for trolling and being obnoxious.
hyteckit is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:53 PM   #188
bonskovsky
Banned

So with the screen that the iPhone has, what am I essentially getting? Retina is just confusing I think they should ditch the term.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...or-d5sbl14.png

This image is like 5,000x1,689

With the iPhone 5, do I get to experience the whole thing? Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:04 PM   #189
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So with the screen that the iPhone has, what am I essentially getting? Retina is just confusing I think they should ditch the term.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...or-d5sbl14.png

This image is like 5,000x1,689

With the iPhone 5, do I get to experience the whole thing? Or am I missing something?
You will get the whole thing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:22 PM   #190
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Wow, this thread is absurd.

#1: You can't tell the difference on a phone screen anyways. There is some "wow" factor to going from WVGA to qHD to HD, but no real usability difference.

#2: Video watching isn't a good use case on a phone other than an occasional short YouTube video, and even then, they are usually over-compressed and low quality, so who cares?
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:33 PM   #191
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Wow, this thread is absurd.

#1: You can't tell the difference on a phone screen anyways. There is some "wow" factor to going from WVGA to qHD to HD, but no real usability difference.

#2: Video watching isn't a good use case on a phone other than an occasional short YouTube video, and even then, they are usually over-compressed and low quality, so who cares?
#1- No of course you cant tell a difference, , you are an iphone 5 owner correct, lol

#2- you are correct, on a tiny 4 inch screen it isnt any good for video, however a 5 inch or 5.5 inch screen would be at least 4 times better to watch the same video.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM   #192
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
#1- No of course you cant tell a difference, , you are an iphone 5 owner correct, lol

#2- you are correct, on a tiny 4 inch screen it isnt any good for video, however a 5 inch or 5.5 inch screen would be at least 4 times better to watch the same video.
Still much prefer the IPS LCD of the iPhone 5 to the SAMOLED GS3 and Note 2 screens.....

I prefer color accuracy/brightness to cartoon colors.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:53 PM   #193
bonskovsky
Banned

It comes as a shock to me that people claim that they only use the iPhone at "optimal viewing distance" looking at this forum alone there's no way you can read full screen mode at 12 inches away.

NO WAY.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:01 PM   #194
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It comes as a shock to me that people claim that they only use the iPhone at "optimal viewing distance" looking at this forum alone there's no way you can read full screen mode at 12 inches away.

NO WAY.
I don't I hold my phone around 6-7 inches away when reading. Still can't see any pixels.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM   #195
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post

4S and SGS III. I can't really tell much of a difference on any of the currentish generation screens, be it the iPhone, SGS III, DROID RAZR, etc.

You're still going to have a tough time telling the difference between SD and anything better, and once you're into the 700-line range, there's no way a human eye will be able to tell.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:07 PM   #196
C DM
macrumors G4

Just came across this which, at least one some level, in a close up situation, shows the differences as far as PPI goes, color reproduction, contrast/saturation/etc.: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1857...jpg/xlarge.jpg
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:10 PM   #197
bonskovsky
Banned

Question

The HTC Droid appears to have the best. Although the Apple phone looks more vibrant. See? You really can see the pixels.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:21 PM   #198
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The HTC Droid appears to have the best. Although the Apple phone looks more vibrant. See? You really can see the pixels.
Those are macro shots. You'd have to get your eyes about an inch from the screen to see it like that. And at that point, most people can't even focus to see clearly anyway.

This thread needs to be locked.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM   #199
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I could tell the iPhone's screen was not HD, even with the MacBook Pro, the retina resolution could be much better. I mean even my Dell laptop had better resolution.
Wow what BS. What magical Dell laptop is this?

Quote:
It's just like how Apple calls their cameras Eye Sight but there is no eyes in the camera.
What the hell kind of logic is this? It's also an Apple product but I don't think it has any Apples in it?

Quote:
And it really disappoints me because I thought retina was enought to was 4K (more HD than an HDTV) but it can't, let alone play 720.

What does this even mean?

Honestly are you twelve?
Oppressed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:51 PM   #200
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
Wow what BS. What magical Dell laptop is this?

What the hell kind of logic is this? It's also an Apple product but I don't think it has any Apples in it?

What does this even mean?

Honestly are you twelve?
Yeah I don't know why but the Dell Inspiron 14 inch actually fairs quite well when you're playing HD movies. But the MacBook Air looks like... Oh wait

we're talking about iPhones nevermind

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone