Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
kensic
macrumors 6502

New to Apple MBP, 1 question on batt. calib.

Calibrating your battery ensures you get the longest possible running time from it. Calibrate your battery during the first week you own it, and then recalibrate it every two months. If you use your computer infrequently, itís best to recalibrate it at least once a month.

Whenever you purchase new batteries, calibrate them as well.

To calibrate a portable computer battery:

1 Plug in the MagSafe Power Adapter and fully charge the battery.

2 When the battery is fully charged, the light on the MagSafe Power Adapter connector changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is charged.

3 Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer.

4 You can use your computer during this time as long as the power adapter is plugged in.

5 With the computer still on, disconnect the power adapter and continue to use your computer.

6 When you see the low battery warning, save your work and close all applications. Keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep.

7 After your computer goes to sleep, turn it off or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.

8 Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged.
You can use your computer during this time.

I was reading the procedure on calibrating the battery. STEP 7, is a little unclear to me.

my questions?

so when it goes to sleep from being low, how to turn off the computer while its sleeping???

the term of "...allow it to sleep..." is can be confusing...it should be "...let it remain in off state..."

thanks
kensic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Apple notebooks do not need their batteries calibrated.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
kensic
macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply,

weather it needs it or not. i just want to fully understand the process.

can you help me with my question?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:00 PM   #4
hallux
macrumors 65816

When you get to step 7, leave the computer alone for 5 hours, this will continue to drain the battery further, taking to the lowest charge it will go down to.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:02 PM   #5
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensic View Post
I was reading the procedure on calibrating the battery.
Where were you reading this? Much of your post seems like you should be quoting something.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:11 PM   #6
kensic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
When you get to step 7, leave the computer alone for 5 hours, this will continue to drain the battery further, taking to the lowest charge it will go down to.
i see thanks, ill probably let it continue sleeping then. However is there a way to turn off the laptop after it had gone to sleep without waking it from sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Where were you reading this? Much of your post seems like you should be quoting something.
yea it it a qoute, from some battery guide thread that i found on this site.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
brig2221
macrumors regular

Quote:
thanks for the reply,

weather it needs it or not. i just want to fully understand the process.

can you help me with my question?
I have read what you posted, the only difference, step 7 stated to run the computer down to 5% battery life, then recharge it back to full.

It didn't specify whether or not you needed to turn off the computer. I'm guessing it doesn't matter either way. What does matter is that you start off with a full charged batttery, run it down until it's nearly empty, and then fully re-charge it (whether you leave it on or turn it off).
brig2221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
yea it it a qoute, from some battery guide thread that i found on this site.
If you had read the entire Battery FAQ, you would know that the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks. It's not good for your battery to fully drain it, so do not calibrate newer Mac batteries.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by brig2221 View Post
I have read what you posted, the only difference, step 7 stated to run the computer down to 5% battery life, then recharge it back to full.
I don't know where you read that, but it's wrong. Draining to 5% and recharging is NOT calibration. Again, you don't need to worry about it, as you shouldn't be calibrating built-in batteries on Mac notebooks.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro