Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphonemath.jpg
Earlier this week, China Times published a rumor that Apple could release an "iPhone Math", a larger iPhone with a 4.8" screen that could compete with "phablets" like the Samsung Galaxy Note. Though the name is particularly suspect, it's possible that Apple would want to get into that product category. Samsung has had some success in the area, and similar products were popular at CES this year.

Russian site AppleDigger.ru has created a mockup of what such an iPhone could look like [Google Translate]. One significant part that the video gets incorrect is that the original rumor claimed the larger phone will come with an 8-megapixel camera, whilst the video says it will have a 12-megapixel camera. Instead, an update to the iPhone is said to come before the holiday season this year, upgrading the lens to 12-megapixels.

Considering the sketchiness of the "iPhone Math" rumor and the lack of any specific claims about how Apple would handle the larger display in iOS, the mockup video should primarily be viewed as a concept giving a general idea of what such a device might look like.

Article Link: What the 5-Inch iPhone Could Look Like

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I frankly don't care for phablets personally, but I understand that many people like to carry "1 device to rule them all" (vs. iPhone and iPad/iPad mini).

To me, the biggest stumbling block is the new screen target that larger iPhone screen will necessitate. I suppose larger iPhone can keep iPhone 5's resolution, simply making screen target larger (hence lower pixels per inch), but real solution would require higher resolution, and hence new screen target for app developers.

Jbrumz85

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
If iOS doesn't change much it won't matter how big the screen gets it'll still be boring just with a bigger screen now

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
If iOS doesn't change much it won't matter how big the screen gets it'll still be boring just with a bigger screen now

It's not even just boring, a lot of native apps on iOS just have bad interface compared to the new apps that are coming out on both iOS and android.

They really need to revamp the next iOS.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They really need to shrink the wasted space above and below the screen. Maximize the screen while keeping the overall size smaller.

As for revamping the next iOS, don't bet on it. All the Mac OS X iterations have remained essentially unchanged.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think they would change iOS a bit for it, because the spaces between the apps on the homepages would be strange (especially since it's 4 across still and the phone WILL get wider to keep the aspect ration!).

dantehicks42

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
Great !

At this point might as well carry an iPad Mini in my pockets. I don't want a bigger screen, but I would take a revamped iOS.

Extra rows of apps is just getting unusable.

violaboy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
No more pages

I'm sick of having to waste energy flipping through pages. They should make it so I can put all my apps on the home page! :D

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Not sure if its just me but i find it really sad that the "big thing" (mockup video or not) of a new bigger screen for an iPhone is yet ANOTHER row of apps.

great...

EDIT: Just reminded me of this parody

That parody was awesome; too funny!

This phone looks terrible in the different colors. But more than that, I'd be disappointed if Apple were to make the phone just taller, again.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Haha, pretty ridiculous info and concept but I do think the iPhone 5s will introduce colors and I am excited for that :) Too bad I won't upgrade my iPhone 5 till the year after that :(

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
While at it, how about heading the other way: the iPad Gnat, featuring an icon array size of 1x1.
(Take that previous-gen iPod nano design and bump it up to near-iPad specs!)

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Love how they emphasize 6 rows like thats what everyone wants!!

I don't mine 5 but maybe some bigger icons would be cool?

Oh jesus i just realized they will probably now start having arguments on here saying

"Its going to be called the iPhone 6 because there will be 6 rows of icons now! iPhone 5 had 5 rows!!! IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!!"

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
if apple ever does go bigger, i hope they keep a 3.5" or 4" model in the lineup.

----------

I'm sick of having to waste energy flipping through pages. They should make it so I can put all my apps on the home page! :D

you can fit 384 apps on one screen of the iPhone 5.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Terrible! The whole purpose of a 5" or larger screen isn't just to put the same grid of icons and terrible usability on it. Give us some widgets or allow us to actually SEE some things right from the home screen.

Don't just make the icons bigger and cram more of them on the screen like on the current models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.