Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
:confused: Say What? Awful for Text reading? I dont have any trouble reading my texts at all so i dont know what your talking about. How exactly is it hard to read texts?
The only problem i have with the screen is that it is nearly unreadable in sunlight. Other than that, its pretty nice and i keep the brightness a little more than halfway up.

Mine never had an issue with sunlight. I think some people overblow things. iPhone or galaxy S3, both were usable for me in direct sunlight at max brightness.

But i did have an issue reading text at times on the GS3 unless it is in large font. Putting a LG Optimus G side be side, unzoomed text (talking about the level on which my eyes can actually read it, not very small ofcourse) looks far better on LG's IPS than Samsung's AMOLED.

The new note and GS4 better improve their screen tech or LG and Sony are quickly becoming the darlings of android camp from the impressions i have had from many tech sites and their users. Fortunately samsung still enjoys the same hype now as Apple, however Google better watch out as they have options in store using many other OSes for when google will not make concessions to their demands in the future once they think they are too big to stop.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Mine never had an issue with sunlight. I think some people overblow things. iPhone or galaxy S3, both were usable for me in direct sunlight at max brightness.

But i did have an issue reading text at times on the GS3 unless it is in large font. Putting a LG Optimus G side be side, unzoomed text (talking about the level on which my eyes can actually read it, not very small ofcourse) looks far better on LG's IPS than Samsung's AMOLED.

The new note and GS4 better improve their screen tech or LG and Sony are quickly becoming the darlings of android camp from the impressions i have had from many tech sites and their users. Fortunately samsung still enjoys the same hype now as Apple, however Google better watch out as they have options in store using many other OSes for when google will not make concessions to their demands in the future once they think they are too big to stop.

I can agree on the text reading on a GS3. However I only ever had an issue reading orange or red text (lol quality webdesign!) on a non mobile desktop site unzoomed. Everywhere else it was superb. As for the GS4 they seemed to have ditched pentile arrangement on the Note 2. So it will possibly be gone on the GS4, here is hoping!

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Really have no desire to argue it. That's great if you don't mind amoled. The Nexus has a terrible white reproduction in my experience. Also this knock on blacks regarding IPS is comical.

You misspelled "logical." Of course an IPS display is going to have a problem with blacks. The lamp is on 100% even if all pixels are set to black. Where do you think the light is going to go? Anyone claiming that it does well with pure black is being disingenuous. An IPS screen set to black is not really black. It is gray.

Place an IPS device in a completely dark room along with an AMOLED device. Set both to display a 100% black image. One of them will be bleeding light the other will be totally black. This is not opinion it is fact. If you are OK with that great. But don't try to distort reality.

Michael

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
You misspelled "logical." Of course an IPS display is going to have a problem with blacks. The lamp is on 100% even if all pixels are set to black. Where do you think the light is going to go? Anyone claiming that it does well with pure black is being disingenuous. An IPS screen set to black is not really black. It is gray.

Place an IPS device in a completely dark room along with an AMOLED device. Set both to display a 100% black image. One of them will be bleeding light the other will be totally black. This is not opinion it is fact. If you are OK with that great. But don't try to distort reality.

Michael

I'm not distorting reality. I've been using an iPhone for 6 years. I have no problems or gripes about reading text on the screen. I honestly can't believe you are trying to start this with me. I use IPS displays all day and night. iPhone. iPad Mini. Apple Cinema Display. Does a beautiful job with text in all situations. So please spare me this BS. Even if Amoled displays blacks stronger it's not like I'm suffering over here. Plus Amoled is terrible at white production which has made reading a lot harder for me in my time with the Note II and other Amoled screens. Again, I have no desire to argue about this. If Amoled works for you, great. I honestly could not care less. But IPS for me and many others is simply a superior viewing experience for many reasons.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm not distorting reality. I've been using an iPhone for 6 years. I have no problems or gripes about reading text on the screen. I honestly can't believe you are trying to start this with me. I use IPS displays all day and night. iPhone. iPad Mini. Apple Cinema Display. Does a beautiful job with text in all situations. So please spare me this BS. Even if Amoled displays blacks stronger it's not like I'm suffering over here. Plus Amoled is terrible at white production which has made reading a lot harder for me in my time with the Note II and other Amoled screens. Again, I have no desire to argue about this. If Amoled works for you, great. I honestly could not care less. But IPS for me and many others is simply a superior viewing experience for many reasons.
lol.... I was replying to your ridiculous assertion about blacks. It's wrong. Sorry.

BTW: Kudos for saying couldn't care less vs. could care less. I hate that.

Mike

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
That IPS have no issue with blacks. Duh.

Michael

I honestly have nothing more to say here. This idea that black performance in some regard makes for an inferior experience in the IPS displays I've listed is absurd. Goodbye.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I told you guys that 2 years ago the pentile 800x480 AMOLED screen of the Galaxy S was equivalent to the iphone 4. I can post tons of reviews from pro's that prove this

And now two years later AMOLED screens have evolved yet retina screens are still the same as two years ago. And now suddenly they are horrible? I laugh at this sudden change of opinion. Proves how biased the whole world actually is

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I honestly have nothing more to say here. This idea that black performance in some regard makes for an inferior experience in the IPS displays I've listed is absurd. Goodbye.

Goodbye. lol

When it comes to the iPhone: white is god and black is irrelevant. You can't make this chit up.

Michael

----------

I told you guys that 2 years ago the pentile 800x480 AMOLED screen of the Galaxy S was equivalent to the iphone 4. I can post tons of reviews from pro's that prove this

And now two years later AMOLED screens have evolved yet retina screens are still the same as two years ago. And now suddenly they are horrible? I laugh at this sudden change of opinion. Proves how biased the whole world actually is
Not me. I see what I see. And I would take the Note 2's display over the iPhone 5's any day. Heck, it is what drew me to the Note 2.

Michael

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
A friend of mine had a Note 2 and he was a huge fan of it. Then I showed him my Nexus 4's screen (which uses the same tech as the iPhone 5, and after calibration looks just as good), and he did get jealous of the whites that a LCD IPS can do. At work he asked me to put up certain webpages at different levels of brightness, and we compared them side by side with his Note 2. The difference was massive. The SAMOLED that Samsung uses is nice (and black levels are obviously better on OLED), but for any sort of website that uses white for a background for text (so, pretty much all of them), it had a pretty massive blue tint to it.

A couple days later he tells me that he is trading his Note 2 for a Nexus 4 in a local trade.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Second time you have stated you are going to eject yourself from the conversation. Instead you come in here basically saying how AMOLED is inferior and how us "AMOLED lovers" are out to get you. People have opinions here, some people like AMOLED more than IPS and the max brightness level is more than enough for them. Some people prefer warmer tones to their displays, others prefer cooler. No display is perfect and if you go back in time on this forum you can find a mega thread with people whining about the inconsistencies of the latest iPhone display and its color tone and people bashing others for liking a warm hue and a cold hue.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
A friend of mine had a Note 2 and he was a huge fan of it. Then I showed him my Nexus 4's screen (which uses the same tech as the iPhone 5, and after calibration looks just as good), and he did get jealous of the whites that a LCD IPS can do. At work he asked me to put up certain webpages at different levels of brightness, and we compared them side by side with his Note 2. The difference was massive. The SAMOLED that Samsung uses is nice (and black levels are obviously better on OLED), but for any sort of website that uses white for a background for text (so, pretty much all of them), it had a pretty massive blue tint to it.

A couple days later he tells me that he is trading his Note 2 for a Nexus 4 in a local trade.

I have both. I would never trade my Note 2 for a Nexus 4. That sounds ridiculous. I guess if you only need a few hours of battery life it might work but for the screen? I would take my Note 2 over my Nexus 4 even with equal battery life. No. I wouldn't take either with the battery life of my Nexus 4. It is that bad.

Mike

----------

Second time you have stated you are going to eject yourself from the conversation. Instead you come in here basically saying how AMOLED is inferior and how us "AMOLED lovers" are out to get you. People have opinions here, some people like AMOLED more than IPS and the max brightness level is more than enough for them. Some people prefer warmer tones to their displays, others prefer cooler. No display is perfect and if you go back in time on this forum you can find a mega thread with people whining about the inconsistencies of the latest iPhone display and its color tone and people bashing others for liking a warm hue and a cold hue.

I can see the benefits of both. But I prefer AMOLED. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the display of my Nexus 4 and iPhone... I do. But there is something about the "pop" of AMOLED that I love, for lack of a better term.

Mike

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I have both. I would never trade my Note 2 for a Nexus 4. That sounds ridiculous. I guess if you only need a few hours of battery life it might work but for the screen? I would take my Note 2 over my Nexus 4 even with equal battery life. No. I wouldn't take either with the battery life of my Nexus 4. It is that bad.

My Nexus 4 can last almost as long as my iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 did, but of course that's after custom rom/kernel improvements. If it was still stock it definitely isn't that great of a battery, so I'd agree with you there, but there are really good ways to improve it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
:confused: Say What? Awful for Text reading? I dont have any trouble reading my texts at all so i dont know what your talking about. How exactly is it hard to read texts?
The only problem i have with the screen is that it is nearly unreadable in sunlight. Other than that, its pretty nice and i keep the brightness a little more than halfway up.
That was hyperbole. I'm used to a much shaper screen for text so it really bugs me. Others, obviously, have no issue with it.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I agree here. The S2 and s3 screen is impressive but still seems very hard to look at for long periods of time.

Glad its not just me

I still think the retina display the best display for viewing all media and photos than any display on the market

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by blairh View Post

LOL, taking your ball and going home? God forbid some dont agree with you.

Look, IPS for you and many others is superior and so is AMOLED for many others and to them the blacks of the IPS screen is inferior. If you dont agree that doesnt make it absurd. Your saying AMOLED is inferior and many dont agree with that. So lets just say to each their own.

Last edited:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

Look, IPS for you and many others is superior and so is AMOLED for many others and to them the blacks of the IPS screen is inferior. If you dont agree that doesnt make it absurd. Your saying AMOLED is inferior and many dont agree with that. So lets just say to each their own.

AMOLED technology is superior to IPS, but Samsung really needs to start calibrating their screens. I don't know why they aren't. They go too far beyond sRGB and look very distorted and over saturated because absolutely everything created for the screen is created in sRGB. Games, movies, graphics for web pages, photos, they are all created in sRGB, and Samsung is just completely ignoring that fact.

Edit: I should add, if content was created in a wider gamut, then this wouldn't be a problem. But until that happens, Samsung absolutely must calibrate the screen or offer a setting to use an sRGB calibration. I would love to have an AMOLED screen that is properly calibrated and has white that looks white.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
With Samsung you get a choice, unlike iPhone. If you like vibrant, as I do, you can get that. If you don't you can change it. You do know there are color options right? None on the iPhone.

Where is this screen on the iPhone again? :D

Michael

I havent been able to find this. Im sure im overlooking something simple but where in settings is it?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

It has absolutely nothing to do with picking up a ball and going home and everything to do with how little this truly means to me. I've stated my opinion and someone has to chime in and say something insane like blacks are poor on an IPS panel. I honestly think such a statement is so incredibly empty and absurd. Funny how I've never once in my life encountered someone online or in my personal life that complained about the black color of text on an iPad or IPS panel. It's just something someone will chime in on here because they love their Amoled screens. It means nothing to me and it's a waste of time because people just want to fight. I don't want to fight. I've stated my opinion. But no matter what someone like you has to be snarky and rude about it. And let me also say this isn't the first time Vegas that you've acted this way towards me. I suspect you and Michael and several others are just hostile towards fellow MR members. I'm all for civilized debate but I lose all desire to continue forward as soon as it's quite clear who I'm dealing with. Just a waste of time for me.

And someone will once again point out how I said I was going to leave and now I'm back. Well I'm sorry but I feel the need to respond to these BS attacks on me for no reason. Enjoy your Amoled's. But some of you are just horrible to engage with.

I absolutely hate amoled screens but man do I not care if you like them or love them. And this talk of IPS being poor in any way is just absurd. It makes me just want to not be a part of this forum for a while. I'd argue that IPS does a terrific job of representing black.

Anyways I'm really done now. I really hate the way some of you treat others in this forum. Just really snarky, disrespectful, and aggravating.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I havent been able to find this. Im sure im overlooking something simple but where in settings is it?

It's in Settings->Display->Screen Mode. At least that is where it is on my Note 2.

Mike

----------

It has absolutely nothing to do with picking up a ball and going home and everything to do with how little this truly means to me. I've stated my opinion and someone has to chime in and say something insane like blacks are poor on an IPS panel. I honestly think such a statement is so incredibly empty and absurd. Funny how I've never once in my life encountered someone online or in my personal life that complained about the black color of text on an iPad or IPS panel. It's just something someone will chime in on here because they love their Amoled screens. It means nothing to me and it's a waste of time because people just want to fight. I don't want to fight. I've stated my opinion. But no matter what someone like you has to be snarky and rude about it. And let me also say this isn't the first time Vegas that you've acted this way towards me. I suspect you and Michael and several others are just hostile towards fellow MR members. I'm all for civilized debate but I lose all desire to continue forward as soon as it's quite clear who I'm dealing with. Just a waste of time for me.

And someone will once again point out how I said I was going to leave and now I'm back. Well I'm sorry but I feel the need to respond to these BS attacks on me for no reason. Enjoy your Amoled's. But some of you are just horrible to engage with.

I absolutely hate amoled screens but man do I not care if you like them or love them. And this talk of IPS being poor in any way is just absurd. It makes me just want to not be a part of this forum for a while. I'd argue that IPS does a terrific job of representing black.

Anyways I'm really done now. I really hate the way some of you treat others in this forum. Just really snarky, disrespectful, and aggravating.
Oh so this time you are really done now. Till next time when you are really really done, right?

If you don't think people haven't noticed the lack of true blacks on LCD displays, and not just on iPhones, you are in denial. Before the iPhone ever came out people were saying that regarding TVs (plasma vs. LCD). You need to take a step back and understand that your preference doesn't apply to anyone but you. Who woulda thunk it.

Edit: OK I see you have been taking comments as being against you. I, personally, have never intended that. It was only meant as a spirited debate. It was not any kind of attack on you personally.

Mike

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Acted what way towards you? Im sorry, was i hard on you or something? Was it too much to suggest your taking your ball and going home after you have said a few times you were leaving? It was just a joke and All i said was you disagreeing with the colors doesnt make their opinion anymore absurb than you not liking a AMOLED screen and i said to each their own.
I really dont care if you like them or not and didnt comment on it knowing you have said this long before and above you still say you would argue that IPS blacks are great. Well OK, but who cares, stick with IPS and those who prefer a AMOLED screen will do the same. Personally i could use either one and and be fine with it.

I think maybe you need some thicker skin.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.