Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1
stevemcintosh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Airplay to NAS w/o Computer: Possible?

Hi All,

Just went through a horrific experience trying to get a Squeezebox Duet working on my 2TB MyBookLive 2TB NAS drive. Scrapping that and re-evaluating my entire approach.

I'd like to draw songs stored on the NAS wirelessly to my stereo and control song/playlist/genre/etc. selection using my iPad or iTouch. AirPlay looks great, but eveything I've read about it says that I have to have a PC running, but I'm guessing you all are smarter. (NAS is hardwire connected to Linksys wireless router and is accessible wirelessly from laptops on the network.)

So, is it possible?

Also open to other suggestions (but Sonos just isn't in my budget.)
stevemcintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm trying to remember the name of an app I used a long while back...The remote app is still available, but works in conjunction with an ATV unit, or iTunes on a Mac.

I remembered something called Plugplayer for the iPad I'm not sure if it's still on the app store, but I't did work with my ipad1

Worth a browse.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
stevemcintosh
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thanks, but that won't work on the WD MBL NAS drive. Anyone have any other ideas?
stevemcintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
DustinT
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I'd use iCloud and an Apple TV or Airport Express. It won't cost you more than $99 for the hardware, you'll have the remote control features you are looking for and you won't have to mess with the NAS at all. It will all be delivered by the cloud, so you'll require internet access, which I suppose you already have.

I'm using this instead of the Mac Mini server running iTunes and a Nas with a built in iTunes server and I find it works really well. And, I can control the whole thing from my (or my wife's) iPhone. And, the Apple TV is a great system.
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
stephen85
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
I'd use iCloud and an Apple TV or Airport Express. It won't cost you more than $99 for the hardware, you'll have the remote control features you are looking for and you won't have to mess with the NAS at all. It will all be delivered by the cloud, so you'll require internet access, which I suppose you already have.

I'm using this instead of the Mac Mini server running iTunes and a Nas with a built in iTunes server and I find it works really well. And, I can control the whole thing from my (or my wife's) iPhone. And, the Apple TV is a great system.
How did you go about doing it ? What you have sounds what I need.
stephen85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:32 AM   #6
DustinT
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen85 View Post
How did you go about doing it ? What you have sounds what I need.
Just buy an AppleTV and register it with the same iTunes accounts as you've got your media on. That will enable all the magic iCloud media sharing features. If you have local media you want to access just load it into iTunes on a Mac or PC and enable home sharing. It will show up in your Apple TV and you can stream, etc... it works really well and it's all native. No jail breaking or tom foolerly required.
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
zimv20
macrumors 601
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
If you have local media you want to access just load it into iTunes on a Mac or PC and enable home sharing.
the original request was to do this w/o some other computer running somewhere.

a lot of people in this forum create their own music and want to stream it locally, not from icloud.
__________________
Oct 2011: check out my band's first album @ boxsetauthentic.com
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #8
DustinT
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
the original request was to do this w/o some other computer running somewhere.

a lot of people in this forum create their own music and want to stream it locally, not from icloud.
you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to stream it locally you'll need another system running... If you want to stream it remote then you should try iCloud.
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
br3nt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to stream it locally you'll need another system running... If you want to stream it remote then you should try iCloud.
well.. not totally correct.
Since I don't own a NAS, have just set up a Synology for a Small Business though so i'm talking only in theory.

Depending on your NAS vendor you could use it as itunes library and that way stream via airplay.. since it's your iOS device connecting which allows you to send and controll.

So first things first: google
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/networ...d-my-book-live

and i believe you might try this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wd-2go/id450655672?mt=8

Last edited by br3nt; Feb 27, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
br3nt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:27 PM   #10
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
For music a Synology NAS can AirPlay (Audio Station) without a running computer, controlled from a web browser or iOS app. The interface isn't elegant but it works.

Synology will even support some USB to audio adapters if you don't have an AirPlay playback device.

The beta Synology 4.2 OS has movie AirPlay support but I've never got it working. I'll wait till it's out of beta before figuring out how to get it working.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:09 PM   #11
zimv20
macrumors 601
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to stream it locally you'll need another system running... If you want to stream it remote then you should try iCloud.
thanks for being so helpful.
__________________
Oct 2011: check out my band's first album @ boxsetauthentic.com
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:42 PM   #12
br3nt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
For music a Synology NAS can AirPlay (Audio Station) without a running computer, controlled from a web browser or iOS app. The interface isn't elegant but it works.

Synology will even support some USB to audio adapters if you don't have an AirPlay playback device.

The beta Synology 4.2 OS has movie AirPlay support but I've never got it working. I'll wait till it's out of beta before figuring out how to get it working.
Image
but he is using a Western Digital NAS and not a synology. Or have I missed something?

Edit: If you are going to switch... Synology has built-in support. And probably QNAP as well. Can't speak of those though since i dont own any of them :P
__________________
......
.....

Please quote me if responding to something I said!
.. MBPr (mid 2012) 2.3 Ghz, 256 SSD & 16 GB RAM
br3nt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:54 PM   #13
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Ahh right.

Me I'd sell the WD NAS and buy a Synology. Which also has a working Squeezebox package.

Seems the OP hasn't logged in since January 6th though.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #14
br3nt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Ahh right.

Me I'd sell the WD NAS and buy a Synology. Which also has a working Squeezebox package.

Seems the OP hasn't logged in since January 6th though.

didn't even think to check that. Well, whoever comes along.. enjoy
__________________
......
.....

Please quote me if responding to something I said!
.. MBPr (mid 2012) 2.3 Ghz, 256 SSD & 16 GB RAM
br3nt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
airplay directly from NAS (Diskstation DS214play) Nozuka Apple TV and Home Theater 32 Jun 5, 2014 11:28 PM
Synology NAS will not airplay mentaluproar Mac Peripherals 6 Oct 18, 2013 12:46 AM
Help with setup for Airport Express with NAS + Airplay Simplesimon101 Mac Peripherals 2 Jun 13, 2013 12:09 PM
Nas-to-Home Sharing Apple TV vs Nas-to-Mac iTunes Airplay Stream? iOrbit Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Feb 2, 2013 10:35 PM
Airplay, NAS and Getting Different Music in Different Rooms liamski Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Dec 14, 2012 02:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC