Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is continuing its full-frontal attack on Apple's iTunes and App Store platforms, announcing today that it is expanding its In-App Purchase program to include virtual goods and currencies on Mac, PC and Web-based games. Amazon has previously offered IAP for Android and Kindle Fire developers, including the ability to order physical goods from within apps.

amazon_appstore_angry_birds.jpg
Further expanding its multi-platform, end-to-end offering for game developers, Amazon today announced a new In-App Purchasing service that enables developers to let customers use their Amazon accounts to purchase virtual goods and currencies from within Mac, PC and Web-based games. With today's announcement, Amazon now provides In-App Purchasing services for Mac, PC and Web, Android and Kindle Fire developers, enabling them to offer Amazon's millions of customers a convenient, trusted and secure buying experience.
This isn't the only development in Amazon's digital store efforts. Recently, Amazon optimized its MP3 music store so mobile iOS devices could purchase music directly on the device via Safari.

Apple and Amazon have been dueling in court over the trademark for the "app store" term, with the most recent development sending Apple and Amazon into court-ordered settlement talks.

Article Link: Amazon Expands In-App Purchase API to Mac, PC, and Web Apps

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Has anyone experimented with selling their MAS apps through Amazon? How'd it work out? I might just distribute Battery Status through Amazon and Steam and see what happens...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
To be blunt the main article here saying the assault on Apple is very miss leading.

I see nothing wrong with this. Hell I think it is a great idea linking everything up with other amazon services.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
This is actually a smart move by amazon. Giving developers another avenue for discovery of their apps and giving customers and one stop shopping experience. There main issue is to get high quality developers to use it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So wait, how is Amazon offering a cross-platform payment processing and storage of virtual files a "direct assault on Apple" ?

Seems to me it's just Amazon expanding its offering to developers in order to grab more market share and thus generate more revenues, doesn't seem to be targetting anyone in particular.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
hypocrisy

If Amazon can patent "1-Click" then why can't Apple patent "App Store"? If "App Store" is nullified, then "1-Click" should be also... not to mention "Windows".

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If Amazon can patent "1-Click" then why can't Apple patent "App Store"? If "App Store" is nullified, then "1-Click" should be also... not to mention "Windows".

*facepalm*

Apple has not patented or tried to patent App Store. 1-Click has nothing to do with this, nor does Windows. Please leave this stuff out of this thread and go to one of the "App store" trademark threads where all of this is explained.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011

App is an abbrevation for applications, and is generic = not possible to trademark

App store is a store for selling apps, and is descriptive = not possible to trademark

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
App is an abbrevation for applications, and is generic = not possible to trademark

App store is a store for selling apps, and is descriptive = not possible to trademark

And Windows isn't generic for the Windows that open up on the Desktop? Further, "App" could just as easily be viewed as an abbreviation for Apple. Apple itself is a generic term, which is protected by Trademark.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
And Windows isn't generic for the Windows that open up on the Desktop? Further, "App" could just as easily be viewed as an abbreviation for Apple. Apple itself is a generic term, which is protected by Trademark.

but windows (for windows) on a desktop is not trademark.

Now Windows for an operating system is trademarkable.

For example
OSX is an operating system that uses windows as part of its GUI.
Windows is an operating system that uses windows as part of its GUI.

Windows is not generic for the name of an OS.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
If anything drives Apple to close OSX down to an Apple App Store only model, it's another company getting a share of Apple's pie. Jobs would be ready to sue (as usual) by now if he were still around (yeah I know that doesn't make sense, but neither does allowing only one software store for a given platform, OSX, iOS or otherwise since it leads to a lack of competition which means high prices for the consumer and/or low revenue for the developers since neither have any competitive alternatives).

Getting rid of optical media was a big first step, IMO. Even though you can pick a drive up easily enough, it discourages traditional software distribution methods for Mac users now. At least an alternative digital store/warehouse might help keep some prices lower. There's already often HUGE differences between game prices on Steam and on Apple's App store, particularly during Steams' very common sales rates plus you get the Windows (and now Linux too in some cases) versions of the game in addition to the Mac version for that price which is usually lower, if not MUCH lower than Apple's store). The only problem is some developers (e.g. EA) aren't supporting Steam any longer.

Amazon just informed me I have digital versions of CDs I bought ages ago from their store. Now THAT is a nice surprise (although unneeded since I already ripped my libraries). It'd be nice to find I suddenly had the Mac version of Dragon Age Origins on EA's digital store (i.e. who wants to pay for the same game twice just to avoid booting into Windows? It's the whole reason I buy most games through Steam now).

MajkelMor

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
If anything drives Apple to close OSX down to an Apple App Store only model, it's another company getting a share of Apple's pie. Jobs would be ready to sue (as usual) by now if he were still around (yeah I know that doesn't make sense, but neither does allowing only one software store for a given platform, OSX, iOS or otherwise since it leads to a lack of competition which means high prices for the consumer and/or low revenue for the developers since neither have any competitive alternatives).

Getting rid of optical media was a big first step, IMO. Even though you can pick a drive up easily enough, it discourages traditional software distribution methods for Mac users now. At least an alternative digital store/warehouse might help keep some prices lower. There's already often HUGE differences between game prices on Steam and on Apple's App store, particularly during Steams' very common sales rates plus you get the Windows (and now Linux too in some cases) versions of the game in addition to the Mac version for that price which is usually lower, if not MUCH lower than Apple's store). The only problem is some developers (e.g. EA) aren't supporting Steam any longer.

Amazon just informed me I have digital versions of CDs I bought ages ago from their store. Now THAT is a nice surprise (although unneeded since I already ripped my libraries). It'd be nice to find I suddenly had the Mac version of Dragon Age Origins on EA's digital store (i.e. who wants to pay for the same game twice just to avoid booting into Windows? It's the whole reason I buy most games through Steam now).

So they seems nice, do they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.