Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
What's up here!

This is shot in B&W and I'd like some feed back on the composition if you'd be so kind...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 168

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Last Windy Lake

Nice. I like this. Spooky, atmospheric. Might it need just a tad of lightening or a person wearing a trench coat and fedora? You did shoot RAW right?

Mine for today.... a shot from one year back and another hike to Windy. These folks were setting up their house trailer on the lake. They wanted somewhere warm to duck into when the cold got too cool. So this will be the last from Windy Lake... til I go back again.

bjm3373.jpg

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I absolutely love this! Desktop of the week for me!

It's been my desktop since I finished processing it. Looks really nice on my 27" iMac. I'm tempted to try make a metal printing of it. I saw some Image Wizards metal prints on Sunday at the Imaging Expo here in Atlanta and was blown away by how they look.

It does look good bigger. You've preserved the highlights very well.

Thanks. I was particularly happy with the detail in the boat, too. That came out really well I thought.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
So far this is my favorite shot in my Disney collection. I think it really needs to be seen bigger, so I'm including a link to a larger view than would be appropriate to use here.

Disney%20MK%20Riverboat%20Reflection%20HDR%202012-12-23--Edit-XL.jpg

http://gerg1967.smugmug.com/Vacation/Disney-Magic-Kingdom/i-CVPbpHK/0/X3/Disney%20MK%20Riverboat%20Reflection%20HDR%202012-12-23--Edit-X3.jpg

Looks great larger Keleko, I love how you get to see the chandeliers in the pavilion but only in the reflection.

----------

This is shot in B&W and I'd like some feed back on the composition if you'd be so kind...

LongSticks can you crop into the picture so there is less of the black around the picture? It seems to me that the subject is too small in relation to the void of black. I've seen that work on individual objects, but not on a scene.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Really like this shot.

Can't tell from the catchlight if it is a window or a big soft box? No fill as well? My dad and I have just split the money on a giant softbox so looking to emulate this sort of shot soon!

I used a 36x48 soft box and a reflect (silver) to fill in a bit. :)

EDIT: My ghetto diagram. Haha..

diagram.png

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I used a 36x48 soft box and a reflect (silver) to fill in a bit. :)

EDIT: My ghetto diagram. Haha..

diagram.png

Thanks for sharing! Did you have a coloured backdrop or is it a wall?

Not sure if you were aware but there is a fairly easy to use online tool available here which might be easier than your current method! ha

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Heron_zps98040146.jpg

This is my first post to this thread so please be kind;)
I have seen many great photos of birds here so I thought that I would try out my new camera to see if I can do something similar. I am not, generally, a nature photographer but this bird is a bit unusual for our area here near Tokyo so I took this shot. Cropped a bit with some sharpening and highlight control in LightRoom. f/4 at 1/1250 sec. Nikkor 180 f/2.8 lens.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks for sharing! Did you have a coloured backdrop or is it a wall?

Not sure if you were aware but there is a fairly easy to use online tool available here which might be easier than your current method! ha

Wow, that is way better! Haha. Thanks a lot. It's actually a white wall. I just pulled my subject and lighting away from the wall about 10 feet, put the softbox fairly close (2-3 feet) from the subject and exposed for her. The light falls off enough to give you a dark gray background. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Lovely pic, full of gorgeous blues. I'd maybe crop a bit off the top to tighten up the composition...

La Saint-François by O.Taillon, on Flickr

Not sure about the B/W treatment

The problem, IMO, isn't the b/w treatment; it's the dull conditions. There's no light to 'lift' the image... which makes all that grey sky even gloomier.

City centre.
DSC_3144%20-%20Version%202.jpg

D800|28mm|f8|4s|ISO100

Love the lights! It would look great, IMO, with one person standing still in each pool of light...

Heron_zps98040146.jpg

This is my first post to this thread so please be kind;)

Welcome! You really nailed the 'decisive moment'...

The ghost of some old geezer...

bwell1.jpg

Last edited:

snyder7

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Going Home

"Going Home" ©Howard Snyder

4.jpg

This photo is from a new series that I am going to begin working on soon and I went scouting for different locations/ideas. It's going to be work centered around Mount Rainier and Rainier forrest for a commissioned artwork project.

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Love the lights! It would look great, IMO, with one person standing still in each pool of light...

Right! In fact I had a lady in the first spot a few times, but each time there was motion blur (standing still for 4 s in the cold...). So I gave up, as it contrasted too much with the sharpness of the rest of the pic (tripod, mirror up, remote, etc). Also, thick winter coats made it less appealing :) If I can find volunteers, I retry soon, otherwise I will do that concept in summer.

In the pretty postcard series...
DSC_3195.jpg

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I've had all sorts of problems this month getting photo's processed due to a crazy work schedule and a loaner truck not liking my power inverter. But this week I've been processing and can finally start contributing to this thread again, yay! :D

_MG_0663-XL.jpg

Rocky Water

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I / we do a lot of ice fishing. Folks in this part of Ontario wait for a period of cold weather... and when the lakes "catch over"... we step out with an axe in hand.... we use the axe to gauge the thickness of the ice. If the cold weather holds, the ice grows thicker. We progress from axes to snow machines to vehicles. So ice on Windy Lake right now, is more than safe for any person. Snow machines, no worries. Trucks and SUVs, well, I'd be nervous and I too would drive with the doors open. 20 cm is getting close to a foot in imperial scales so its more than safe. But it cracks and moves continuously. It's pretty neat. The crack my friend is striding went on for hundreds of metres but there was no way it would "open up" under his weight. Oddly, it was touching -40c here this morning... what we call square tire weather. But I'm thinking it will not last long. Finally - I grew up in Labrador. When I was a kid, the ice would have been a metre thickl. We had to put an extension on our ice augers to get to the fish ! Come up for a visit, I'd be happy to show you the sights, and cracks. :)

Barry, thanks so much for the detailed information. It's incredible to think that ice that is only a foot thick can support vehicles on it! I will take you up on that offer in a heartbeat if I ever get a chance to head up there. I have a crazy fascination with frozen lakes, somewhat fueled by my great fear of them! At the end of autumn I visited a lake in the Julian alps that was just starting to freeze at its edges, and it was a very auditory experience: cracking, 'singing', and all sorts of sounds that really took me by surprise. Someday I hope to visit a really big frozen lake to experience it all on a larger scale.

Mine for today. This is the first photo I took with my 5DII. I've been hoping to get a better one as the focus isn't quite on the eyes but she's usually either fully awake and won't keep still or fast asleep!

mishai.jpg

The quintessential listless kitty. It reminds me of the YouTube video about the cat with ennui. Very nice picture.

Is it just me or has the maximum width of forum posts been reduced?

All pictures are maxing out at 780px wide.

A sad development. :(

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Saw this for sale in the Hudson's Bay Company the other day. My friend liked it so much he almost bought it. I talked him into saving his money for more camera gear tho! :p

6 PM Somewhere by HadrianRobinson, on Flickr

----------

I like it! It has a dark but light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel feeling to it. I would straighten the image a bit. To me the stairs and the pole of the lamp seem to be leaning a bit to the right.

Otherwise nice job!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.