Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

iFlicks, MetaX, Subler, Vidalin Tagging questions

I've used all of the taggers listed, wanted to try Identify2 but the demo is no longer available from Macupdate or the developers homepage.

My main question/concern is that iFlicks has a "Flatten to Quicktime" option in versions 1.2.x (not in 1.3.5 Beta) that quickly, meaning 6 seconds, tags the m4v files (from handbrake.)

My experience with MetaX, Subler, Vidalin, have all been somewhere between good and bad.

Why can iFlicks quickly tag the existing file while the other 3 apps have to write a whole new file? Is there something bad or a shortcut taken by the iFlicks method? Something that could be incompatible with future versions of iTunes or iOS

Depending on the app and the file, the other apps can take between 2-6 minutes to tag and create a new file.

What am I missing here? I'm not talking about remuxing but just tagging.

Any insight?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

I use iFlicks extensively for tagging. The speed you mention I only get when tagging short, 30min or less, TV Episodes. For movies and such it can take what you state as 2-6 minutes, if not longer, depending entirely on the size of the file. It does rewrite the files as do most taggers.

Haven't played with the new Beta yet. Hope it doesn't do away with the flatten to quicktime option. Its all I use, since its converting output is to .mov files which I avoid like the plague. If the developer ever changes that it would probably become my only tool to manage my video media library.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Ritsuka
macrumors regular

Subler takes just some seconds. Open your mp4 file from the "File->Open" menu, tag it and save. Obviously it must be a mp4 or m4v or m4a.
Ritsuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Omne666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsuka View Post
Subler takes just some seconds. Open your mp4 file from the "File->Open" menu, tag it and save. Obviously it must be a mp4 or m4v or m4a.
So does subler just amend the existing file??? All the ones I've looked at rewrite the entire file then dump the original into the bin.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Cherryboy
macrumors newbie

Subler

When you are in subler make sure that you do not have the "Optimize" box checked, and once that is done your movies are updated in seconds.
Cherryboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryboy View Post
When you are in subler make sure that you do not have the "Optimize" box checked, and once that is done your movies are updated in seconds.
This.

Remember to check "Web Optimize" when coding in HandBrake, and you don't need to do that again when tagging.

I use Subler exclusively for tagging now. The only minor frustration I have is having to type in chapter titles, but everything else is so simple and quick it doesn't bother me that much.

I also like that it's a breeze to copy your tags over from one file to another. I always make separate ATV and iPhone versions of my rips, so it's a nice feature simply to be able to import the tags from one version to the other, I just have to remember to change the resolution tag.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:13 PM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayward View Post
The only minor frustration I have is having to type in chapter titles, but everything else is so simple and quick it doesn't bother me that much.
Did you know that you can import a chapter title file downloaded from various websites? No typing. Have done it several times. Very easy.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:12 PM   #8
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Did you know that you can import a chapter title file downloaded from various websites? No typing. Have done it several times. Very easy.
Didn't know that.

I knew it could import chapters from text files, but they had to be in a specific format. Didn't know where to find them, so I just retype from what I find on Barnes & Noble's page for the movie in question.

Any direction on this would be appreciated.

PS: I've already done all three of the extended LOTR episodes. About 60 chapters per movie. Ugh!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Didn't know that.

I knew it could import chapters from text files, but they had to be in a specific format. Didn't know where to find them, so I just retype from what I find on Barnes & Noble's page for the movie in question.

Any direction on this would be appreciated.

PS: I've already done all three of the extended LOTR episodes. About 60 chapters per movie. Ugh!
Here's the one I usually use: http://www.chapterdb.org (There are probably others)

Search by title, verify that your movie and your search result have the same number of chapters, then download to wherever you like. It should be a txt file. Open your movie file in Subler>Import>File>your file name.

Thats it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Here's the one I usually use: http://www.chapterdb.org (There are probably others)

Search by title, verify that your movie and your search result have the same number of chapters, then download to wherever you like. It should be a txt file. Open your movie file in Subler>Import>File>your file name.

Thats it.
That's great. Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:17 AM   #11
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thats it.
Used it last night. Worked like a charm. Thanks again!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:08 AM   #12
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Used it last night. Worked like a charm. Thanks again!
Wish I could have got that to you before the LOTR conversion!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:11 PM   #13
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

I use iDentify2 and never had an issue an its very fast, never used any of the ones you mentioned so I cannot comment on your specific questions
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:40 AM   #14
benmarley
macrumors newbie

Smile hey there

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
I've used all of the taggers listed, wanted to try Identify2 but the demo is no longer available from Macupdate or the developers homepage.

My main question/concern is that iFlicks has a "Flatten to Quicktime" option in versions 1.2.x (not in 1.3.5 Beta) that quickly, meaning 6 seconds, tags the m4v files (from handbrake.)

My experience with MetaX, Subler, Vidalin, have all been somewhere between good and bad.

Why can iFlicks quickly tag the existing file while the other 3 apps have to write a whole new file? Is there something bad or a shortcut taken by the iFlicks method? Something that could be incompatible with future versions of iTunes or iOS

Depending on the app and the file, the other apps can take between 2-6 minutes to tag and create a new file.

What am I missing here? I'm not talking about remuxing but just tagging.

Any insight?

hey there spacepower, i just have got mac and am having a similar problem! i have hundreds of movies and tv shows and i was wondering if you had any luck finding the app to just edit the metadata with re-encoding or copying the original file? im torn between iflicks, identify, subler and mp4autotag? i have other software for muxing and changing containers (unless iflicks is better) so im just looking for a metadata tagger only, preferably without creating a copy of the original. any help would be great, thanks

alos, any recommended encoding/muxing software? i use xmedia recode for pc and its brilliant, will probably get that for mac, or i read about miro. so many options! i dont want to download and try them all and fill my mac with crap!

rants over. any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
benmarley is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
handbrake, identify, iflicks, metax, subler