Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
taptic
macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard File?

Hi,

I have a Mac running 10.6.8 out of the box. How can I copy the Snow Leopard file to one of my older computers?
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Nermal

Snow Leopard must be installed from DVD. It sounds like you don't have one so you'll need to buy it if you want to upgrade your older systems (the version that came bundled with your newer computer is licensed for that computer only).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3
taptic
macrumors 65816

Oh, wait. I actually still have some discs that came with the newer one. Can I install it using those?
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
ScoobyMcDoo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
Oh, wait. I actually still have some discs that came with the newer one. Can I install it using those?
Only if the disk is the retail version. If it is the one shipped with that computer, it will not work on other macs.
ScoobyMcDoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
stroked
macrumors 6502

Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper, but only if your older Macs are Intel, not PPC. It is very easy to do.
stroked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Pretty sure that a cloned copy of an install disc from one Mac won't work on another.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Hi,

I have a Mac running 10.6.8 out of the box. How can I copy the Snow Leopard file to one of my older computers?
You can't, the OS that comes installed is tailored to the hardware in question.

Quote:
No, the software restore discs that came with a system only works on that model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked View Post
Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper, but only if your older Macs are Intel, not PPC. It is very easy to do.
Won't work for the above stated reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
Pretty sure that a cloned copy of an install disc from one Mac won't work on another.
Correct if you mean from one model Mac to another.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:35 AM   #8
stroked
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
You do not clone the install disk, you clone the hard drive that has OSX installed on it. It will work, as long as the older Macs are intel.
stroked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:07 AM   #9
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked View Post
Carbon Copy Cloner does work on PPC Macs and I have used it to clone 10.5.8 from an iMac G5 to an iBook G4. It worked perfectly. I of course wasn't cloning Snow Leopard because that obviously wouldn't work.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Kyffin
macrumors 6502

Hello, I was wondering if I could ask for some expansion on this point please-

Although I'm now running 10.8 on my 2010 mbp, I still have the Snow Leopard install disk that came with the laptop; the crux is though I've just acquired a 2007 mac mini which will come with Leopard (for my parents) and I'd like to upgrade it to 10.6 when it arrives (with also a new hard drive)

I'm considering installing Snow Leopard onto the new hard drive through my mbp (in target disk mode) with the install dvd I already have and then just swapping out the hard drive when it arrives.

Would this work, or might I expect some problems down the line with drivers &c.?

I would very much appreciate some knowledge on this as I'd really like to avoid problems down the line for them, and any direct experience would be especially welcome

Thank you!
Kyffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyffin View Post
I'm considering installing Snow Leopard onto the new hard drive through my mbp (in target disk mode) with the install dvd I already have and then just swapping out the hard drive when it arrives.
As noted above, the bundled OS (on a grey DVD) is only licensed for use on the hardware that it was bundled with. If you have the white retail DVD then I think it's usable on up to five systems and I believe that swapping the hard drive will work.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Kyffin
macrumors 6502

Thank you, Nermal.

I've now ordered the Snow Leopard OS disk from the store and it should arrive with plenty of time to configure before swapping out the drives. Thanks again
Kyffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X