Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:16 PM   #51
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoShade View Post
Again, you make no sound argument. I do understand. Very well. Seemingly better than someone who says, "adapt of die".

Just because some people don't want to pay for something doesn't mean it should or will become free. Period.

Delivering digital publishing does not cut ALL the other business costs. Don't you get it. It's possible that digital distribution could lead to price reduction IF the sales increase. But at this stage where it's complicated and mixed, it doesn't. Maybe in the future. Maybe not. As you don't seem to understand, the cost of printing and shipping is replaced with the cost of digital infrastructure and distribution. The rest of the business is still the same - staff, offices, etc.

"Adapt of Die", just a silly saying when you don't really understand the whole business. FYI I'm totally immersed in the digital world in my personal life and work, so get it and I've already adapted. But that does not change anything. It's the business model that needs to be examined and it's complicated. Just having digital distribution doesn't mean consumers get your product for free now. You're comment about paying for it all with advertising shows how little you know. Magazine already make money on advertising dollars. Advertising is changing all the time, so that's part of the complexity.

Look at other digital examples, music, movies, books. They have not become free. Look music is even going up in price a little. Information will always have value. Context has always been king, and generally it has a cost.

Don't expect things to become free because you just don't want to pay. Also, you'll end up paying for it another way, like the way FB and Google use your info to spam you with contextual advertising.

----------

[/COLOR]

You can already buy magazines per issue. You can even buy the NY TImes buy issues digitally (even the Sunday Times per issue). Also look at cable, you can't buy a la carte (though we all would like to), because the whole business model is so complex. Partial subscription makes no sense. Either buy one issue or a the whole sub (which is cheaper). This makes sense for everyone.

Nothing is going extinct. The content has value; people want it. Silly people cried the book publishing (and music) was going to die too, but digital hasn't changed that.
Hey, relax... I don't have anything against magazines. (Digital or Analog). I'm only saying that the current and past business model will have to change if they want to remain viable in todays digital world. As always, those with a good business model and product will survive, the others will fall by the wayside. This is the story of life. I've read and enjoyed magazines all my life. The "Ala Carte" plan is what most people want whether in magazines or cable TV. They seem to be resisting this though. Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:28 AM   #52
InfernoShade
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Hey, relax... I don't have anything against magazines. (Digital or Analog). I'm only saying that the current and past business model will have to change if they want to remain viable in todays digital world. As always, those with a good business model and product will survive, the others will fall by the wayside. This is the story of life. I've read and enjoyed magazines all my life. The "Ala Carte" plan is what most people want whether in magazines or cable TV. They seem to be resisting this though. Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I appreciate the "sorry for the misunderstanding." Thanks. Just to be clear I'm not writing with anger or anything.

But your first post said, "All digital magazines should be free". And the "adapt or die". I pointed out how it's unreasonable to expect content or anything for free just because it's digital.

No misunderstanding.
InfernoShade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:18 PM   #53
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoShade View Post
I appreciate the "sorry for the misunderstanding." Thanks. Just to be clear I'm not writing with anger or anything.

But your first post said, "All digital magazines should be free". And the "adapt or die". I pointed out how it's unreasonable to expect content or anything for free just because it's digital.

No misunderstanding.
Well, "adapt or die" is applicable. I take back "all digital magazines should be free". It's too broad a statement, I agree. Some will be free though. I am a large consumer of "Podcasts" which are in a sense free digital magazines. Check the thousands that are available at no cost. I would pay for something that was important to me, that I couldn't get for free. That list is pretty short. It will be interesting to see how this industry progresses. Since you seem quite disturbed by what I said, I would imagine you are somehow involved in that business. If not then you are taking what I said far too personally.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion