Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
BoonDockSaint
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
2 Macs with one iTunes shared library? How?

Hi guys

I was wondering how it is possible to have one shared library on a remote disk connected to our time capsule?

Can i rip our CDīs with my iTunes to that library with the possibility that the music can be seen and used with our other mac?

If thatīs possible, witch CD ripper will you recommend?

I really hope you can help us :-)

Best regards
__________________
Newbee
BoonDockSaint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:30 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Understanding Home Sharing
iTunes: How to share music and video
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:36 PM   #3
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604
 
QuarterSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
You can. My iTunes library is on an external hard drive that also houses
my Time Machine backup. That's connected to an old 12" PowerBook that acts as a file server. All of it works over my network.

Move your iTunes library to the TC (I'd assume you'd have to partition it) and point both Mac's iTunes to that library. The advantage of this over sharing or home sharing is that both Macs can manage the library.
__________________
“In a world of idiots, the average man is king."

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:51 PM   #4
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Home sharing is definitely one way to go about it, but I'm not sure if you can set it up on a remote disk like the OP wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
You can. My iTunes library is on an external hard drive that also houses
my Time Machine backup. That's connected to an old 12" PowerBook that acts as a file server. All of it works over my network.

Move your iTunes library to the TC (I'd assume you'd have to partition it) and point both Mac's iTunes to that library. The advantage of this over sharing or home sharing is that both Macs can manage the library.
From what I understand, you cannot partition the built-in hard drive of the TC (easily, anyway; you can fudge it using a disk image, but depending on the size of the image, that might be a pain). However, this won't be a problem to the OP.

To the OP, here's one suggested route to setting this up:

1. Open iTunes while holding down the alt/option key. A window will pop up with three choices.
2. From the window, select "Create Library..." and navigate to your remote disc.
3. After step 2, your first mac will automatically connect to this library.
4. To connect the second mac to the library, open itunes on that computer while holding down the alt/option key.
5. This time, select "Choose Library..." and navigate to the library you created in step #2.

And viola, one library on a remote disk feeding two macs. All you'll need to do is move your media into your library, assuming you already have media to move into it. You can either do this using the import feature of itunes, or a manual copy with finder. I'd suggest just using the iTunes import feature, since it's easier and takes no more time than manually copying your content to the new drive.
obsidian1200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:01 PM   #5
BoonDockSaint
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thx

I will try, and see how it works

Best regards
__________________
Newbee
BoonDockSaint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #6
mrfizzed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
how about this?

what if i had my itunes library point to a library file on a usb drive (where my entire 56gb itunes library folder was stored) and any time i wanted to use it on my mb pro i simply plut that drive into the mb pro, but then if i wanted to use it on imac or sync iphone with it on imac just plug it into imac? wouldntt that work and in essence be 1 drive?
mrfizzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:54 AM   #7
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
You can. My iTunes library is on an external hard drive that also houses
my Time Machine backup.
That's connected to an old 12" PowerBook that acts as a file server. All of it works over my network.

Move your iTunes library to the TC (I'd assume you'd have to partition it) and point both Mac's iTunes to that library. The advantage of this over sharing or home sharing is that both Macs can manage the library.
So if your external drive fails... you lose your iTunes library and your backup?

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfizzed View Post
what if i had my itunes library point to a library file on a usb drive (where my entire 56gb itunes library folder was stored) and any time i wanted to use it on my mb pro i simply plut that drive into the mb pro, but then if i wanted to use it on imac or sync iphone with it on imac just plug it into imac? wouldntt that work and in essence be 1 drive?
That works fine.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #9
robpow
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
Move your iTunes library to the TC (I'd assume you'd have to partition it) and point both Mac's iTunes to that library. The advantage of this over sharing or home sharing is that both Macs can manage the library.
What happens when you open iTunes on both Macs, won't they try and write to the same library at the same time? I can see the library getting corrupted easily unless iTunes has some smarts to prevent this.
robpow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 AM   #10
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpow View Post
What happens when you open iTunes on both Macs, won't they try and write to the same library at the same time? I can see the library getting corrupted easily unless iTunes has some smarts to prevent this.
Correct. Most "libraries" (iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, etc) are designed to be "private" to one user. In the case of iTunes... Apple included the "home sharing" option which is nice.

Whenever I see people complaining about corrupted databases, lost music, lost pictures, etc... I always wonder if they are either poking around in the libraries with finder... or sharing their libraries across multiple accounts/users.

Personally... my data is too important to me to do any of this.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:33 AM   #11
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
Correct. Most "libraries" (iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, etc) are designed to be "private" to one user. In the case of iTunes... Apple included the "home sharing" option which is nice.

Whenever I see people complaining about corrupted databases, lost music, lost pictures, etc... I always wonder if they are either poking around in the libraries with finder... or sharing their libraries across multiple accounts/users.

Personally... my data is too important to me to do any of this.

/Jim
These are replies to messages from 2011...
chrfr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604
 
QuarterSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
So if your external drive fails... you lose your iTunes library and your backup?

/Jim
iTunes Match and Google Music. Always have at least one off site backup (in my case, two).
__________________
“In a world of idiots, the average man is king."

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moved iTunes library - music showing up as Shared Library vorpel Mac Basics and Help 0 Dec 9, 2013 10:55 PM
A Shared iTunes Library for Movies OpTic Jayex Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Sep 30, 2013 04:05 PM
Shared iTunes library on Time Capsule? Nick5a1 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jul 20, 2013 10:45 AM
Can AppleTV access a shared iTunes library? Griggi Apple TV and Home Theater 9 Dec 27, 2012 07:54 PM
Shared iTunes Library - See What is Unwatched? scottrichardson Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Nov 29, 2012 03:58 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC