Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rottie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Hi all,

I'm seriously contemplating upgrading my current 21.5" i5 2.5GHz iMac, to a new, 27" i7 3.4GHz 3TB Fusion/2Gb VRAM/8Gb RAM BTO spec.

My question is this: I know it's possible for me to make .DMG files from the existing DVD media and put these onto an external HD, but is iWork 09 still available as a download from Apple?
I know that there's a newer version of Pages/Numbers, etc available on the App Store, but TBH I I'm happy with the 09 version. :)

If it comes to it, I'll just make the .DMGs, but seeing as I have a relatively fast connection, it would most likely be quicker to download the files, if they're available. :cool:

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Hi all,

I'm seriously contemplating upgrading my current 21.5" i5 2.5GHz iMac, to a new, 27" i7 3.4GHz 3TB Fusion/2Gb VRAM/8Gb RAM BTO spec.

My question is this: I know it's possible for me to make .DMG files from the existing DVD media and put these onto an external HD, but is iWork 09 still available as a download from Apple?
I know that there's a newer version of Pages/Numbers, etc available on the App Store, but TBH I I'm happy with the 09 version. :)

If it comes to it, I'll just make the .DMGs, but seeing as I have a relatively fast connection, it would most likely be quicker to download the files, if they're available. :cool:

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

The iWork from the App Store is version 9.3 so it is pretty much the same as the one on your DVD. The only changes are to make use of iCloud and for compatibility with iOS.

I imagine that the update to 9.3 from the version you have on disk is free, but you can't download it for free without having it installed first.

Note that Apple dropped the '09 tag after a year or so, so it didn't look old.

Rottie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
The iWork from the App Store is version 9.3 so it is pretty much the same as the one on your DVD. The only changes are to make use of iCloud and for compatibility with iOS.

I imagine that the update to 9.3 from the version you have on disk is free, but you can't download it for free without having it installed first.

Note that Apple dropped the '09 tag after a year or so, so it didn't look old.
Hi there,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

The version of iWork I have is a boxed version and for some reason, the App Store wants £13.99 for Pages alone :eek:

I'll give Apple a call tomorrow and see what their take is on it, because as you say, it looks like they're the same version number, 4.3.

Attachments

• Screenshot 22:01:2013 21:10.png
    Screenshot 22:01:2013 21:10.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 968

Rottie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
As I said in my reply to the other poster, I think the best option is to give Apple a call and see what they suggest, as from what I remember, the boxed version of iWork didn't come with a serial; it just installed straight from the media.

Last edited by a moderator:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The retail boxed version of iWork will install on a 2012 iMac. Then, once it's installed the three apps can be individually updated to the latest version by free download from the App Store.

Rottie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
The retail boxed version of iWork will install on a 2012 iMac. Then, once it's installed the three apps can be individually updated to the latest version by free download from the App Store.
Hi there,

Care to elaborate on this a little, please?
I already have iWork installed on my 21.5" iMac, but when I go to the App Store, the individual apps are priced individually, IE £13.99 for Pages and when I click on them, they only give me the option to buy the app.

Am I missing something, because I thought that if you had an app already installed, then that button would change to "upgrade", instead of "buy"? :confused:

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012

This is untrue.

They are separate purchases.

Make the DMG and you'll save yourself tons of time. I keep mine around on a network drive for reinstallation.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hi there,

Care to elaborate on this a little, please?
I already have iWork installed on my 21.5" iMac, but when I go to the App Store, the individual apps are priced individually, IE £13.99 for Pages and when I click on them, they only give me the option to buy the app.

Am I missing something, because I thought that if you had an app already installed, then that button would change to "upgrade", instead of "buy"? :confused:

Because you installed it from the DVD, it is not tied to your Apple ID under the Mac App Store, but you can still go to the "update" panel and download the updates for free when they become available. I purchased iWork on the DVD and do this every time an update is available. Don't worry about the Mac App Store version, it is the same one. You just purchased it through a different method.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I guess I forgot to mention that, although the updates for the three iWork apps download from the App Store, they are obtained via Software update in the Apple menu, which opens the App Store app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.