Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Hi all,

I'm just about to go and purchase Apple TV 3...but before doing so, I wanted to get all my movies and TV Shows in a respectable format so I didn't have to muck around with this after purchasing ATV.

Firstly, I've converted all my files to MP4 via Handbrake. Secondly, I had absolutely no metadata or coverart for any of my movies/shows. So I downloaded PLEX Media Manager and uploaded all my files to this. PLEX is quite fiddly but once it's all setup, it's quite easy to use and the layout looks very nice. Anyway, all of my movies/shows now appear in PLEX with all cover art and metadata (cast, year, tagline, synopsis, rating etc).

Now, my question is, I want to put all these files into iTunes so it's ready to go for Apple TV. Will all the cover art and metadata (which PLEX has added) automatically come across into iTunes? Do I just drag the files from my folder into iTunes? I spent so much time getting Plex look nice and just assumed that everything would come across into iTunes. I probably should have asked this question before starting!

I will try a file tonight...I'm just at work and wondering if anyone can fill me in.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Will all the cover art and metadata (which PLEX has added) automatically come across into iTunes?
No, it won't, as Plex doesn't embed that information in the files. I prefer to use Plex for movies, TV shows and music videos, rather than iTunes.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You are better off getting a Mac Mini (2010 or later) instead of an AppleTV and use Plex on the Mini.

Plex is much better than AppleTV.

I <3 Plex (don't judge me!)

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I'm sure the Mini + Plex combination would be great.

But unfortunately I'm on a budget and I'll definitely be getting the Apple TV 3.

Seems like I wasted a bit of time downloading Plex lol.

So, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but since you nice folk have already helped me out....what's the best way to get all this metadata and coverart into iTunes (quickly and easily).

BTW - I'm on a Windows machine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but since you nice folk have already helped me out....what's the best way to get all this metadata and coverart into iTunes (quickly and easily).
AFAIK, there isn't any quick and easy way. There had been some talk about development of an app that would embed Plex-downloaded metadata and artwork into files, but that hasn't materialized yet.

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
AFAIK, there isn't any quick and easy way. There had been some talk about development of an app that would embed Plex-downloaded metadata and artwork into files, but that hasn't materialized yet.

Wow! That really surprises me! I'm not the biggest iTunes user so don't know a great deal about it...but I was sure a company like Apple would have a quick and easy way to add this information.

I'd be there all year if I wanted to add this information manually! I found something called MetaX (available on Mac and Windows) but you have to pay $9.95 for it...I really don't want to pay just to add metadata!!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I was sure a company like Apple would have a quick and easy way to add this information.

Apple does have a program to do this for you, it's called "Buy stuff from iTunes". Sorry, just had to do it :D.
But seriously, yeah, getting iTunes to do any metadata work for you isn't going to happen. It hardly gets artwork for your music by itself. If need be buy the program you found, $10 is worth saving you all that time right?

Are you going to convert all your future mkv's into mp4's? Honestly, you're thread should be saying "Migrating iTunes to Plex" and then my advice would be: "Plex will metadata the crap out of your files by itself because its awesome."

You could get an AppleTV 2 and jailbreak it and get Plex running on that. It's too bad they haven't been able to JB the ATV3 to get Plex on it (if so I would have one).

l2pdrums

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Hi all,

I'm just about to go and purchase Apple TV 3...but before doing so, I wanted to get all my movies and TV Shows in a respectable format so I didn't have to muck around with this after purchasing ATV.

Firstly, I've converted all my files to MP4 via Handbrake. Secondly, I had absolutely no metadata or coverart for any of my movies/shows. So I downloaded PLEX Media Manager and uploaded all my files to this. PLEX is quite fiddly but once it's all setup, it's quite easy to use and the layout looks very nice. Anyway, all of my movies/shows now appear in PLEX with all cover art and metadata (cast, year, tagline, synopsis, rating etc).

Now, my question is, I want to put all these files into iTunes so it's ready to go for Apple TV. Will all the cover art and metadata (which PLEX has added) automatically come across into iTunes? Do I just drag the files from my folder into iTunes? I spent so much time getting Plex look nice and just assumed that everything would come across into iTunes. I probably should have asked this question before starting!

I will try a file tonight...I'm just at work and wondering if anyone can fill me in.

Thanks

Try using Identity to tag your files. Its super easy, since you already have your movies in mp4 format, so just drag the files to Identity and tag them.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Wow! That really surprises me! I'm not the biggest iTunes user so don't know a great deal about it...but I was sure a company like Apple would have a quick and easy way to add this information.

I'd be there all year if I wanted to add this information manually! I found something called MetaX (available on Mac and Windows) but you have to pay $9.95 for it...I really don't want to pay just to add metadata!!

Apple does have a program to do this for you, it's called "Buy stuff from iTunes". Sorry, just had to do it :D.
THat is the correct answer! Apple is not in the metadata business, they are in the selling you stuff business, apparently they have been pretty decent over the years of doing it. This might not fit with all people but so be it.

Want metadata, then those inexpensive programs are a pretty attractive solution.

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Are you going to convert all your future mkv's into mp4's? Honestly, you're thread should be saying "Migrating iTunes to Plex" and then my advice would be: "Plex will metadata the crap out of your files by itself because its awesome."

Lol. If I had the money I would purchase Mac Mini + Plex. Thanks for the info though. Also the other reason I want ATV is I may AirPlay some stuff from my iPad which is pretty cool.

----------

Try using Identity to tag your files. Its super easy, since you already have your movies in mp4 format, so just drag the files to Identity and tag them.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Identify? Is this a part of iTunes?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Another option is purchase a Roku instead of an Apple TV, because it has a Plex client or jailbreak the Apple TV and install the Plex client.

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Another option is purchase a Roku instead of an Apple TV, because it has a Plex client or jailbreak the Apple TV and install the Plex client.

I'm thinking about getting a jailbroken APT2 and installing Plex. Only problem is I wanted 1080p :(

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I'm thinking about getting a jailbroken APT2 and installing Plex. Only problem is I wanted 1080p :(

Not sure how this entire post has become so horribly incorrect, but there are LOTS of programs to add metadata to iTunes stuff. iFlicks, iDentify, and MetaX (now discontinued) are popular. Personally I use Subler to add metadata to files. Subler is free and works great, and will download metadata from IMDB/TVDB like Plex will (albeit it isn't quite and streamlined).

Just type "add metadata to mp4" into google if none of these options work for you and you should find many other programs. One of them is bound to be what you are looking for!

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Not sure how this entire post has become so horribly incorrect, but there are LOTS of programs to add metadata to iTunes stuff. iFlicks, iDentify, and MetaX (now discontinued) are popular. Personally I use Subler to add metadata to files. Subler is free and works great, and will download metadata from IMDB/TVDB like Plex will (albeit it isn't quite and streamlined).

Just type "add metadata to mp4" into google if none of these options work for you and you should find many other programs. One of them is bound to be what you are looking for!

I believe iFlicks, iDentify and Subler are all Mac apps? I'm currently on Windows.

But thanks, I'll do a bit of googling and see what else is out there.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

This isn't a bad suggestion. I like the Roku, I didn't love it though. The Plex app worked well enough but was a little clunky. Not sure how the updates look these days though so perhaps it's gotten figured out.

At the end of the day I have to recommend Roku over AppleTV, though AirPlay is pretty darn cool.

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN
I use PLEX and the Apple TV 3. I have a Mac Mini connected to one TV and the Apple TV 3 connected to the other. I already converted almost every movie and TV file I have to M4V through iFlicks and added Metadata that way. It dumped everything into iTunes and deleted the original file. Then I pointed Plex to the files so I could use both iTunes and Plex. I have iPads, and iPhone, and a Macbook, so it is nice to have everything runs through iTunes. I prefer the interface on Plex overall, so I use Plex on my main TV with the Mac Mini, the Apple TV 3 on another, and the Plex app on the iOS devices when we are home.

I just tried a Sony Google TV with the Plex app and did NOT like it at all (played the files but way too clunky). I am going to return that and try the Roku 2 XS with Plex to possibly replace my Apple TV 3. I just really like the Apple TV interface. My wife likes it because it is so easy to use. If the presentation of the media and the controls were a little more like Plex, I would just stick with the Apple TV. We will see how the Roku does.

kitcho9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I prefer the interface on Plex overall, so I use Plex on my main TV with the Mac Mini, the Apple TV 3 on another, and the Plex app on the iOS devices when we are home.

Can you give me a quick runthrough on how the Plex iOS app works? Does it stream to Apple TV 3 via AirPlay? What is the quality like?

If it's good quality I may just leave everything in Plex and then AirPlay across.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I believe iFlicks, iDentify and Subler are all Mac apps? I'm currently on Windows.

You could consider installing OSX86 if your hardware supports it. Or, even better (or, when OSX86 doesn't run on your HW / want to save a lot of time and effort), get an inexpensive Mac Mini.

For video conversions / work, even for consumer stuff like format conversions / remuxing (I'm not talking about heavy-weight video editing / post processing) OS X is much-much superior to Windows.

----------

Speaking of Apple's own videos, there are some new 720p vs. 1080p comparison screenshots at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16709757/ . As anyone can see, Apple's encodings are REALLY bad. I in no way recommend purchasing any HD movies from Apple. (BTW, for that matter, their SD videos are also full of compression artefacts.)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Can you give me a quick runthrough on how the Plex iOS app works? Does it stream to Apple TV 3 via AirPlay? What is the quality like?

If it's good quality I may just leave everything in Plex and then AirPlay across.

Plex on an iOS device is pretty good. Plex > iOS > AppleTV Airplay is a bit fuzzy.

Rebelarcader

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
iVI

I use iVI to convert my video files, add metadata and then import into iTunes. It's not free but I think it well worth the price. You can buy it off the Mac App Store or download it from their website

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN

Like someone else said, it is a pretty good app. It has most of the function of Plex on the Mac. The interface is very similar, and it definitely beats iOS. It connects to your Plex Media Server. You can control the bitrate, and it even has DirectPlay of your files (if your iOS device has enough horsepower to handle it). It integrates well with all other Plex devices. It remembers where you left off from a show no matter what device you used. That is a nice feature.

It does have Airplay, but I never use it. I prefer to only deal with one device, and the picture quality and functionality isn't as good with Airplay as opposed to using the Plex iOS app.

hak187

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
I broke down and spent the $10 on MetaX and it works great on a windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.