Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
i rarely ever shut my Mac down, i usually put it to sleep. several weeks ago it started waking up on it's own, only to go back to sleep after my settings to power down, once it does it may wake up within a few minutes or as long as an hour later, so now i have to shut it down every morning and evening.

what's wrong and how can i fix it :confused: :confused: help ! :eek:

Hi Folks, i want to bring you all up to date, i probably upset a few folks , couldn't help it, i thought the problem was fixed as it went a week or two without a wake up, then it started all over, i worked on every angle i could come up with when i decided to change my Logitec Wireless Mouse with my Apple iMac Wireless Mighty Mouse......, i have gone for over two weeks now WITHOUT A WAKE UP !!

Last edited:

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
the problem was defined in post #1.., did you read it ??

he meant when you used the information provided on this thread to resolve the problem you were having about the Mac waking up..

We know the problem is your mac was waking up, but you said that you then gathered more information and were able to learn what was actually causing your mac to wake up on its own and that is what we want you to share with us.

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
"Error 404 - Page not found!"

Kind of reminds me of any useful information you've provided. ;)

try clicking on the link in post #2, i clicked on the one posted later and it showed the error, but when clicking on the first posted link it pops right up !

try this:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/17/why-mac-wakes-from-sleep/

here is part of what you should see.

Have you ever put your Mac to sleep, only to find it awake seemingly on it’s own when you return to the machine? I’ve run into this mystery a few times, and with a few terminal commands you can help track down what caused your Mac to wake from sleep.

Launch the Terminal and type the following at the command line:

syslog |grep -i "Wake reason"

You will then see a report from the system logs that looks like the following:
Sat Jul 10 08:49:33 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = OHC1
Sat Jul 10 17:21:57 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = PWRB
Sun Jul 11 08:34:20 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = EHC2
Sun Jul 16 18:25:28 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = OHC1

Now you’re going to want to look at the code next to the “Wake reason=” text. So what do these wake reason codes mean?

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
you still have not mentioned what was the problem with your iMac was it the keyboard/mouse waking it up, maybe a scheduled event?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
you still have not mentioned what was the problem with your iMac was it the keyboard/mouse waking it up, maybe a scheduled event?

This is like beating a dead horse, right? :D

To MacM4ODA, many of us KNOW how to check what caused the sleep to fail after x number of minutes. We're wondering in YOUR CASE what the software/device was that caused the issue.

I give up... :p

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona

i have no ********** idea what caused the waking up, whether it was the mouse walking across the keyboard or a ghost of an old Indian who walked these grounds many, many moons ago, i got it fixed by following the instructions in the URL provided by aristobrat.

THAT IS ALL !!!

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
if you do not know what woke up your iMac , then how did you fix it ? in post #4 you say you found the problem , people just wanna know what problem you found ?

----------

i have no ********** idea what caused the waking up, whether it was the mouse walking across the keyboard or a ghost of an old Indian who walked these grounds many, many moons ago, i got it fixed by following the instructions in the URL provided by aristobrat.

THAT IS ALL !!!

it's rather odd you come on here asking for help and get it , then others would like to learn from your experience and you basically get angry and tell them to screw off . thanks for the ball , now Im going home mentality .

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
OK !! here goes, in my search for the fix, i done all kinds of searches and this was the recommendation from Apple and other sources/computer forums etc. so i went back into my history and here is what i found:

drum roll please..., ta dum ta dummmm Ta Daaa...., bugle please: tadodaarooooooooo

i forgot that i got tired of the run around so i just down loaded this free ,"Clean My Mac" down load, after down loading, installing and running it, it told me i had to move, fix, delete or whatever.., your milage may be different, so i suggest you all do the down load and record what the fix was that helped you

................................................. http://macpaw.com/ .............................................

----------

@MacM4ODA, I don't understand, how do you not get it?:confused:

so you do not understand huh ? well for one thing i had a severe head injury several years ago the resulting injury caused some "mild brain damage" which resulted in some long term memory loss and a lot of short term memory loss.., besides, all my 65 y.o. friends call me an old geezer......., does that help you "understand"....??????

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
now that i have recalled what i done and told you all about the fix..., why no replies ??

come on guys......., say something !! :D :apple: :D

Deathwish86

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
so you do not understand huh ? well for one thing i had a severe head injury several years ago the resulting injury caused some "mild brain damage" which resulted in some long term memory loss and a lot of short term memory loss.., besides, all my 65 y.o. friends call me an old geezer......., does that help you "understand"....??????

Nope...

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
now that i have recalled what i done and told you all about the fix..., why no replies ??

come on guys......., say something !! :D :apple: :D

Im a bit slow .... what did you actually fix ?

I once found a puddle in my kitchen , then I fixed it . can you tell me exactly what I fixed ?

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona

that figures !! :D

----------

Im a bit slow .... what did you actually fix ?

I once found a puddle in my kitchen , then I fixed it . can you tell me exactly what I fixed ?
yaa, the damn leak that caused the puddle, or kicked the dog/cat out, or one of your offspring pizzing on the floor, the fixes are endless, do you want them all ? if so, go here: http://www.fixall.org/

down load the damn, ............. http://macpaw.com/ ............

it will tell you ! i swear there seems to be some dense heads here, i am computer ignorant yet i figured it out.., do the down load and follow the instructions !!!!!!

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
just forget it ! enjoy your iMac ! Im done !
161246559546686fcece1ca.gif

Last edited:

cousinhec

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
this conversation was excruciating, but for some reason I felt compelled to follow it all the way to the end

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i just down loaded this free ,"Clean My Mac"
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

MacM4ODA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Arizona
I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. Here's a recent example. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

very helpful info, thank you !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.