Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sugarboylovemac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Hi All,

This is my first time to use bootcamp and install win8 to my mbp. Fortunately it is success.

Actually, I have a boxset win xp and want to install it to my mbp for Win8 upgrade. However, I can't install winXP, the winxp disc can boot to setup (blue bg color) but I can't type "ENTER" key for further install. So I try to install Win7 and I found this from internet. And it WORKS !!!!

Then, I upgrade to WIN8 immediately.

When I turn on my MAC and hold the key "option". It shows 4 hd.

SugarHome - is 120 Apple SSD and it is primary hd and installed OX Lion.
Recovery HD - this is come from 120 SSD. But I have no idea where is it come from.

Windows - is 500G HD and it is secondary hd (optical-bay) and installed WIN8.
MacStorage - in 500G HD too and have a cloned OX Lion from SugarHome.

(Windows & MacStorage) in same hd with 2 different partition. Coz I need to put the 500 HD to primary slot for Windows installation. After the windows installation success and put it back to optical-bay.

Well, this is my question.

1. Can I delete "MacStorage" ? and I want this for my daily file storage. If YES, how to delete it ? I mean delete the OX Lion.

2. Can I delete "Recovery HD" ? Actually I cannot find it physically. If YES, how to delete it ?

Thx for your guys help.

bootcamp_zps866d3103.jpg

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If I were you I would not delete Recovery HD, this came with the OS originally and will get you out of trouble if you run into problems, it does what the name suggests, recovering from trouble.

If you want to delete the 500 GB MacStorage I would suggest doing that in Windows, I guess it is a 1 TB disk.
BUT, I think you have a Fusion Drive, if this is so this could get you into serious trouble.
If this is the Fusion drive I would suggest to first read upon it before doing things which are "irreversible".

sugarboylovemac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Hi Justperry

This is 500HD only. I create 120G for win8. But it already takes almost 60GB after installed WIN8! And 380G for cloned OX Lion.

And I don't have fusion drive.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi Justperry

This is 500HD only. I create 120G for win8. But it already takes almost 60GB after installed WIN8! And 380G for cloned OX Lion.

And I don't have fusion drive.

Yeah, saw it later in your sig.

Shouldn't be a problem then but I still think you need to read a bit on it, whether or not to delete the partition in Windows or OS X, you might get into problems with bootcamp, but I myself don't have this so I don't know what is best for you.

What I do know though and what I already told you is to better keep the Recovery HD, if you run into problems it is just there in stead of going trough troubles by downloading the OS again.
For your information, If you click on the Recovery HD it gets you into the Installer to reinstall the OS, from there you have also access to Disk Utilities amongst others, it's accessible from the Menu.
Command-R will do the same.

sugarboylovemac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Hi Justperry,

I don't need to delete the partition. But I am just don't need the cloned OX Lion is the MacStorage. Coz I want this area to save my daily files. So is it safe just to remove the cloned OX Lion?

In the beginning this 500G HD for my working files. Although I have installed Win8. I am still want have some space for storage.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi Justperry,

I don't need to delete the partition. But I am just don't need the cloned OX Lion is the MacStorage. Coz I want this area to save my daily files. So is it safe just to remove the cloned OX Lion?

In the beginning this 500G HD for my working files. Although I have installed Win8. I am still want have some space for storage.

If you have a OS X running on SugarHome you can safely delete it, no need to wipe the disk, but to do so you need admin permissions to move the files to the trash and then delete them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.