Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.

you want OSX with a touch interface. Apple isn't going there.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
you know the reason apple is successful is because it focuses on the consumer market and not the professional market. right?

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
you want OSX with a touch interface. Apple isn't going there.

No. I don't want OSX.

I already have a MacBook Pro.

What I want is an iPad Pro. I like the battery life, touch interface, and simplicity of iOS. Just simply updated to support multi-view, pressure sensitive stylus, and better file access.

----------

you know the reason apple is successful is because it focuses on the consumer market and not the professional market. right?

And that won't change with the inclusion of an iPad Pro.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As posted, Apple have no plans for a touch based OSX version. Buy an MBA or a new rMBP and all those features are there for you. My ipad 4 is used like yours, it's primary function is entertainment....My iMac, MBP and MBA do the work...the ipad does the fun stuff.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Send an email to Tim Cook and Phil Schiller.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

There was once a time when the exact opposite of this was the reason why Apple was successful....

----------

You do realise the liklihood is that iOS 7 (big overhaul of things like multitasking etc..) and refreshed ipad mini in Fall with Retina will do this without the need of a 'pro' version

As for better support for pen input.. bluetooth 4 stylus are doing much of that now.

http://www.cultofmac.com/188977/pogo-connect-a-pressure-sensitive-bluetooth-4-stylus-for-the-ipad-3/

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
There was once a time when the exact opposite of this was the reason why Apple was successful....

While it is true Apple used to focus on the pro market, I would hardly call them "successful" during this time frame... Especially compared to now.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
While it is true Apple used to focus on the pro market, I would hardly call them "successful" during this time frame... Especially compared to now.

I meant they were successful in attracting the 'pro' market, especially in the design / print media industries. :)

But yes the consumer market has certainly been a stock price riser, sadly however to the detriment of the 'professional' users in many cases. *macpro etc..*

I mean seriously have we had any real innovations in professional software from Apple in the last few years ? Apple really needs to put the 'macintosh' back into focus rather than focusing squarely on being a 'me too' electronics company that they seem to have adopted lately.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you own a mini and want a pro version to mimic a laptop then you've just told yourself you don't need a mini and need a laptop.

FrozenDarkness like others have said, Apple used to actually give two ***** about the pro user. I'm not certain their success is fully attributed to pissing on the pro user so simple consumers can have pretty machines.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There is no reason why an iPad can't appeal to both consumers and pros....apps! Many businesses have already adopted iPads as a tool for them, do what's the fuss about? The OP is just another person who wants files access etc. It is not necessary. An iPad is an iPad, not a Mac. In fact, in many ways it is better than a Mac. To the poster who said it was little more than a large iPod Touch - it runs iPad apps - the iPod Touch does not! This is the difference.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I wouldn't need one or buy one. But I like the idea of an 12" or 13" iPad Pro.
Add the following on your feature list: expandable storage/memory, through a SD-slot for example.
I think there will be a market for it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The "Pro" I'd Like

iPad Mini "Pro"

• Big RAM (maybe 2GB+) so that multitasking has plenty of memory to work really well. Pinching RAM but offering multitasking is a miserable conflict to shave very little off of the unit cost.
  • A SD-type slot, so that those of us that would like more than 64GB could add whatever amount of "more" we desire. I own the 64GB and I strain to keep about 7GB free. I would love to stick in another 64GB for $30-$65 more or maybe 128GB for $95+. Then Apple could keep clinging to 16, 32, 64 and let those of us who desire a little more have our cake too.
  • Newer gen processor (though I think the existing one is quite good)
  • Retina (though I think the existing screen is quite good)

There are many features in iOS that could be better but I'll quit with that short list of hardware advances. Personally, I'd pay a pretty good premium over current pricing for just those 3-4 additions (I'd be quite happy with just the first two).

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
How about we just let the ipad be an ipad, its perfect for what its designed for. Whats so wrong with laptops nowadays that folks want it also in a tablet form? Portablilty you say, c'mon is it that serious..I mean really??

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

I have a suspicios felling you heard about the surface pro....

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
I have a suspicios felling you heard about the surface pro....

5 hour battery life.
Can't run iOS apps.

----------

sounds like the Surface Pro...

Does it run iOS apps?
Can I get 10 hour battery life from it?

----------

How about we just let the ipad be an ipad, its perfect for what its designed for. Whats so wrong with laptops nowadays that folks want it also in a tablet form? Portablilty you say, c'mon is it that serious..I mean really??

Can a laptop get 10 hour battery life?
Does the laptop weight under 3lb?
Does the laptop support touch and pressure sensitive stylus?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Can a laptop get 10 hour battery life?
Does the laptop weight under 3lb?
Does the laptop support touch and pressure sensitive stylus?

of course no, no and no..However:

1) not a deal breaker as its not expected although it would be welcomed.
2) todays modern laptops are fine unless you have some dissability of sorts
3) Its a laptop most consumers can careless either way

a laptop is laptop and tablet is tablet. Two different devices for two different purposes.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
of course no, no and no..However:

1) not a deal breaker as its not expected although it would be really nice.
2) doesn't need to unless you have a dissability of sorts
3) Its a laptop most consumers can careless either way

a laptop is laptop and tablet is tablet. Two different devices for two different purposes.

Adding features to a tablet doesn't make it no longer a tablet

Adding a camera to a laptop, and it's still a laptop.

Are you saying the macbook air that weighs less than 3 lbs are made for disabled people?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i would fully attribute apples run of success 95% to the consumer. The main reason to me is that consumers have a shorter upgrade cycle than businesses. Look at some companies, still running on Windows XP. Apple would not be where they are today if people still held onto their iphone 3Gs in droves.

Zarkizon

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
The way I look at it is that the iPad is the "pro" model with the better specs, and the iPad mini is the everyday consumer model.

I don't really care for the tech specs at this point, because there's no software that actually utilizes their entire potential. For example, I would love it if there was a real, full version of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro on the iPad, but all there is is watered down versions.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
The way I look at it is that the iPad is the "pro" model with the better specs, and the iPad mini is the everyday consumer model.

I don't really care for the tech specs at this point, because there's no software that actually utilizes their entire potential. For example, I would love it if there was a real, full version of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro on the iPad, but all there is is watered down versions.

It's more like:

MacBook 13"
MacBook Pro 13"
MacBook Pro 15"

13" being the iPad Mini equivalent.

The iPad Pro isn't meant to totally replace a laptop, so a full version of photoshop isn't needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.