Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 AM   #1
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
This site is getting over run

I understand that Android is growing with popularity. I understand that Apple isn't the be all and end all of Tech but The poison spreading about this site is ridiculous. I know we have the "alternate" section but its hard to avoid.

You can barely go into a thread without someone saying Android this or Android that. There is even a thread asking "How Apple is innovative". Why are we getting questions like that? It has to be a wind up surely?

It seem people are out to get Apple on this site and I'd almost go as far as saying that the Android stuff is out weighing the Apple stuff.

I know this isn't my site an my opinion isn't worth much but it would be great if you can move it all completely away from the main site. e.g. 9to5Mac has a sister site called 9to5Google. Good thing about that is you don't even have to fish through the dross to read and talk about Apple.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is nothing new. The Alternative section was created so that people with Android and other non IOS devices would have a place to post. If an article offends, then avoid it...I don't really see an huge increase in the "Apple Flaming" type of postings you describe...It's always been that way, and tends to come and go. January is a slow month too.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000
 
Confuzzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Find 20-25 regulars, whose opinion, advice and overall contributions you rate and then add them to your contacts. Go to Forum Spy to look at what is active at any given moment, and your chosen few are highlighted in Postit yellow so you can filter out the noise that way
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:55 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
I normally go to the "New Posts" part of the site. It would be nice if this site didn't feature an "alternate" section. This isn't a general site its an Apple site. Isn't it?

I don't come here to talk about football I find a site to suit my needs. Not sure why Android users can't do the same?
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Phil A.
macrumors 68040
 
Phil A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Telford, UK
I agree with the OP that it's definitely getting worse - that's one of the main reasons I didn't bother renewing my contribution subscription this year
__________________
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure. ~Murphy's Law
Phil A. is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:41 AM   #6
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I normally go to the "New Posts" part of the site. It would be nice if this site didn't feature an "alternate" section. This isn't a general site its an Apple site. Isn't it?

I don't come here to talk about football I find a site to suit my needs. Not sure why Android users can't do the same?
You can block the alternatives forum from "New Posts" in User CP.

Go to "Edit Options" and add 157 to the "Exclude Forums" box.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:47 AM   #7
MonkeySee....
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
You can block the alternatives forum from "New Posts" in User CP.

Go to "Edit Options" and add 157 to the "Exclude Forums" box.
Ahh. You did tell me this in a separate thread. I didn't realise it was just "157" that needed to be added. It seems to have worked.

I was posting in a thread once and by the time the US woke up it got moved to the "Alternate" part of the forum and some guy accused me of trolling.

I know its my responsibility to avoid these posts but its very hard
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:57 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I just ignore those posts. Obviously if you can't see the innovation in Apple products, then you're probably not an Apple consumer to begin with.

I don't like reading journalism type posts either - Go post that on your blog, not here.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:17 AM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
IMO the site has got better in the last 6 months.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I understand that Android is growing with popularity. I understand that Apple isn't the be all and end all of Tech but The poison spreading about this site is ridiculous. I know we have the "alternate" section but its hard to avoid.

You can barely go into a thread without someone saying Android this or Android that.
I think this problem does not exist. It is probably a psychological problem of some users.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
IMO the site has got better in the last 6 months.
As far as the moderation is concerned, yes.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #11
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
You say "it's hard to avoid" the posts you disagree with, but what that tells me is that you're interested in hearing other viewpoints enough to check them out, despite the knowledge that someone is going to say something you don't like. I think that's healthy and good, and shows you like to learn new things.

I think it's just a matter of focusing on being confident in your choices. If you walk through your neighborhood and see all sorts of different shops that sell different goods, you should be able to walk right past them all, and go directly to the Apple Store. Unless you need apples, in which case you go to the grocery store.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
And as far as I know, there is no rule stating that Apple consumers are not allowed to be interested in Android if they have Apple products. Many posts concern people that want to know the differences between them and/or talk about what made them switch.

I personally use an Android phone but will stay on this forum, not only because I still hold hope for an iPhone that is fit for me but also because I am a proud owner of a Macbook and Apple TV.

And like others mentioned, if you don't like it, just ignore it. It's not their fault if you get annoyed by the posts that you do not ignore.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog || Focalitic Forums
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Like this thread in the alternate forum which seems to have no purpose other than being a vehicle for trolling and/or Apple bashing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1528118

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
And as far as I know, there is no rule stating that Apple consumers are not allowed to be interested in Android if they have Apple products. Many posts concern people that want to know the differences between them and/or talk about what made them switch.

I personally use an Android phone but will stay on this forum, not only because I still hold hope for an iPhone that is fit for me but also because I am a proud owner of a Macbook and Apple TV.

And like others mentioned, if you don't like it, just ignore it. It's not their fault if you get annoyed by the posts that you do not ignore.
Maybe someone should create an AndroidRumors site for Android fans.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:55 PM   #14
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Maybe someone should create an AndroidRumors site for Android fans.
Android fans can still be iPhone/Mac fans.

I don't really see the problem. Just read past it.
wordoflife is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:56 AM   #15
Solomani
macrumors 68000
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Like this thread in the alternate forum which seems to have no purpose other than being a vehicle for trolling and/or Apple bashing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1528118
Maybe someone should create an AndroidRumors site for Android fans.
There's Cult of Android. But like everything else in their universe, it's a "copy" of Cult of Mac.

But maybe they feel that paying attention to all-things-Apple is just more interesting and exciting. Can you blame them? So even if they HATE the idea of buying or using Apple products, they are still magnetically drawn to Apple-related forums and discussions of Apple-related products.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:09 AM   #16
MonkeySee....
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
You say "it's hard to avoid" the posts you disagree with, but what that tells me is that you're interested in hearing other viewpoints enough to check them out, despite the knowledge that someone is going to say something you don't like. I think that's healthy and good, and shows you like to learn new things.

I think it's just a matter of focusing on being confident in your choices. If you walk through your neighborhood and see all sorts of different shops that sell different goods, you should be able to walk right past them all, and go directly to the Apple Store. Unless you need apples, in which case you go to the grocery store.
It is hard to avoid. Its like reading a heading saying "Volkswagens are un reliable". I know I should just pass it by but its too ridiculous to pass.

Its my own fault. I have blocked the other forum now which is much better.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:17 AM   #17
Solomani
macrumors 68000
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
You say "it's hard to avoid" the posts you disagree with, but what that tells me is that you're interested in hearing other viewpoints enough to check them out, despite the knowledge that someone is going to say something you don't like. I think that's healthy and good, and shows you like to learn new things.
I think it depends on the context of their posts.

If they are merely writing their opinions, like they prefer this thing to that thing, then that's fine. No two people will have the same preferences.

But if they come here simply to get a rise from bashing and baseless criticism of Apple/Mac/iOS, then clearly their intent was to provoke. You think that should be tolerated? I don't think so. But then again, what I think is not necessarily the policy of MR.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:58 AM   #18
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
The thing is that people own devices from both companies. Comparisons will always be made because they're competing products.

I have a Nexus 7 (not mine but I can use it any time), iPad and iPhone. It's surely better for me to talk about the Nexus in the alternatives forum than to talk about it in Apple ones.

It is annoying when the alternatives crowd comes into the main forums talking about Android though.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:16 AM   #19
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
It is annoying when the alternatives crowd comes into the main forums talking about Android though.
This is the main problem, its said over and over again and it gets more annoying with time.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:04 AM   #20
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Maybe someone should create an AndroidRumors site for Android fans.
I'm a Mac user, I think this forum here is best for me.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog || Focalitic Forums
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 PM   #21
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
I'm a Mac user, I think this forum here is best for me.
So you can annoy iOS users about how android is better? I'm not saying you're the one who is doing that but a few of people do.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Android fans can still be iPhone/Mac fans.

I don't really see the problem. Just read past it.
That's hard to do when you have IOS in the forum spy and stuff like this pops up.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...9#post16712319
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:10 PM   #23
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Hmm, no... I think we need more tolerance, not segregation.

I'll never forget being horrified as a young boy when my grandparents pulled up to a gas station in the Arizona desert, and my grandmother said, "I'm not going out there... there are DIRTY INDIANS out there."

Once you've seen how ugly people can get when they are used to being around "their own kind," you tend to realise that more diversity is what we need. These principles are not isolated to race, religion and so on... it applies to all forms of tolerance.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
Hmm, no... I think we need more tolerance, not segregation.

I'll never forget being horrified as a young boy when my grandparents pulled up to a gas station in the Arizona desert, and my grandmother said, "I'm not going out there... there are DIRTY INDIANS out there."

Once you've seen how ugly people can get when they are used to being around "their own kind," you tend to realise that more diversity is what we need. These principles are not isolated to race, religion and so on... it applies to all forms of tolerance.
Bunk.

This is computer stuff we're talking about not MLK's philosophy.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #25
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
IMO the site has got better in the last 6 months.
That's because you have only been back for 3 weeks.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is online now   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to run run 2x OS X Mavericks and one install of Win 7 on my MBP Manuelrodrigues OS X Mavericks (10.9) 8 Apr 22, 2014 07:51 PM
Creating the iOS game Run Crab Run SambaPanda iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 Jul 14, 2013 10:42 PM
[Game] Run Tappy Run (by Tapps) - Universal App fwatanabe iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jul 16, 2012 03:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps