Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:37 AM   #1
robbiejd
macrumors newbie

Is it possible to save a paid app removed from app store when restoring from backup?

I'm looking to swap my defective iPad with a new one from the apple store but don't want to lose a video app that I bought that apple has since removed from the app store.

I've restored from iCloud before on other devices and know that the apps are re-downloaded post restore and I'm worried that I won't be able to get this app back as it is no longer available to the public.

Can someone please walk me through this process so I don't lose one of my most utilized apps when I replace my iPad.

Thanks!
robbiejd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
balamw

Can you create your own local backup in iTunes on your Mac/PC? That should preserve it for you.

B
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
This is actually a lot easier than you think, you go to your /Music/iTunes Folder, inside this folder is all your Music and your Applications, if you safe the Folder that has your Applications you're good to go.
But, in a way you don't need to do anything, you just sync the new one with iTunes and you're OK, the new device will even ask it if you want to restore.

It's even better, lets say you update an App, the old ones are removed to the trash, if you put that one back in the Mobile Applications Folder you have the Old one back and it was already registered in your name so you won't loose it.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4
dancj
macrumors regular

The important thing is to make sure you use iTunes for the backup, not iCloud. If you use iCloud then you'll lose any apps that are gone form the App Store.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:08 AM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
The important thing is to make sure you use iTunes for the backup, not iCloud. If you use iCloud then you'll lose any apps that are gone form the App Store.
Even if you use iCloud as a restore option, you can still restore the app via iTunes like the above poster mentioned. It's not gone for good if you use iCloud, it just won't get restored to your device.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps