Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
When ripping compilation CD's they used to go into the compilations section of iTunes, but they've stopped doing it. Even if I check CD info before ripping and make sure "part of compilation" is checked. I have changed the CD info for Album artist to various artists, but I'm sure I did this before and they still went into compilations. Now they are going in various artists. However, if I locate the iTunes folder in the iTunes media file in finder the 'new' compilations have gone into the compilations folder. Why are they not showing in the compilations in iTunes and how do I get them there?

I thought I'd sussed it last night. When re-ripping if it I clicked get track names it puts everything back to the original info, and then if I don't change the album artist to various artists it goes into compilations. However, when I tried ripping the second CD of the compilation I got the same issue as before, even though I didn't change any of the info prior to ripping.

Any ideas why this is happening? Once it's ripped in iTunes is there any way of changing the album info so that it appears in compilations? I've tried changing artist and album artists, deleting artists and album artists, checked the box saying art of a compilation but it doesn't move it.

It's very confusing, all the info appears exactly the same as those that go into compilations :confused:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's well know You could try selecting the tracks hit CMD+I and tick the compilations box, but it sounds like you've tried that. I've learned to live with it. Itunes11 is even worse, and I have more music either duplicated or thrown into random compilations without along um art.

Grr

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I've just found that if I quit iTunes and restarted it they went into compilations, why didn't I think of this before :eek:

I also imported the whole disc as 1 track as it's gapless music but on my iPod it can't play gaplessly. Having the whole disc as 1 track is a work around for this. However, when I ripped each CD in this way (there are 3 CD's in this particualr compilation) and created one album out of these 3 'new' tracks they went into various artists again. I tried everything I had before but to o avail. However, through trial and error I figured out that to go into a compilation each track artist needs to be different (can't just be various for example). I labelled the track artist as Disc 1, Disc 2, and Disc 3 and low and behold they moved to compilations. What a faff lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.