Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Hey,

I was wondering if it is possible to pause a mirroring stream from my mac on the apple tv?

For example, I have it activated, showing some photos to some peopel on the tv, and hit sort of a PAUSE command that freezes the images while I go trough my other pictures and then it the same PAUSE command to have it back on normal mirroring?

Thanks!

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Hey,

I was wondering if it is possible to pause a mirroring stream from my mac on the apple tv?

For example, I have it activated, showing some photos to some peopel on the tv, and hit sort of a PAUSE command that freezes the images while I go trough my other pictures and then it the same PAUSE command to have it back on normal mirroring?

Thanks!

Can't you pause a slide show in iPhoto?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This is a one-way deal. Only the computer has control. TV is a dumb receiving device.

Buy some sort of IR remote for the computer if it's not conveniently arm-length.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I think I did not explain my thing the right way. Let's say I am in my room and some guests are in the living room in front of the tv. I am showing them content from my computer using mirroring but let's say I don't want my guests in the living room to see what I'll be doing for the next 10 seconds while mirroring. This is why I ask if there's a sort of PAUSE fonction for the mirroring instead of turning it off, browse trough some files and then putting the mirroring back on for my guests to see what I want to show them..?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If all your photos are in iTunes, you can have iTunes do the mirroring and your viewers will only see that and not your whole desktop. Maybe in the future there will be another App that does this but for now only iTunes.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I think I did not explain my thing the right way. Let's say I am in my room and some guests are in the living room in front of the tv. I am showing them content from my computer using mirroring but let's say I don't want my guests in the living room to see what I'll be doing for the next 10 seconds while mirroring. This is why I ask if there's a sort of PAUSE fonction for the mirroring instead of turning it off, browse trough some files and then putting the mirroring back on for my guests to see what I want to show them..?

Aaaahhh, so basically you don't want your guests to see the pictures as you put them in a slideshow before you're ready?

I don't think there is an option because mirroring mirrors everything. You could shut off airplay for like 10 minutes while you're organizing them I guess?

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
hehe, you guys answered my question very well, it's not possible,

I remember back in university, a teacher had is macbook pro connected with a wire to a projector and every once in a while, the image from the projector would freeze while he was working on his computer sorting things out and it would come back on, like a PAUSE fonction, that's why I was wondering

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.