Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

messiry

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Dear experts, i just got my new 27" iMac (i5, 680MX, 1TB Fusion) now i would like to test that i have no problems with my hardware, display, etc. how would i do this? which tools?

thank you for your guidance here, i am sure many other would be also interested to check their new iMac's,,,it's quite big investment.

Cheers!!

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Honestly Im not one to try to stress test a new iMac to find faults..
All I will be doing is checking for obvious cosmetic damage, That the specs are as I ordered, and then Im going to use it.. with a smile

I reckon If I look hard enough I'll find something not quite perfect. and i'd rather not!

If a 'fault' isnt apparent in my every day use, then to me.. its not a fault.

I dont want to spoil my new toy feeling by looking for miniscule imperfections that would then bug me.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have to say, I had a long list of things to do and I did have a good close inspection, put it through its paces but I didn't do any of the formulaic tests.

I had a shopping list ready, but didn't go through with it. Probably too lazy. Or didn't want to find any faults as I really don't want to wait for weeks to get a replacement. Besides, with AppleCare I am sure problems will be sorted whenever they arise.

Here's my shopping list in case it helps:

Image retention test:
1. Set your background to dark gray (Preferences>Desktop&Screen Saver>Solid colors> and look for the dark gray at middle top row of solid colors
2. Pull up safari and go to your fav website and leave it up on your screen for 10 minutes (example, you can leave anything static on your screen)
3. Minimize Safari and see if you have IR

Other checks:

Dead pixels?
Backlight bleed?
Stuck pixels?
Scratches on aluminum?
Scratches on glass?
Yellowing on screen?
Uniform color across screen?
Level display or crooked?
Image Retention?
Fan noise?
CPU matches order?
GPU matches order?
RAM matches order?
Camera works?
Speakers work?
Fusion drive matches order?
Brand of hard disk (Would appear the Seagate Baracuda ST1000DM003 is better than the Western Digital WD10EALX)?

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
You should of course check a lot of things to ensure that you got what you paid for. You don't buy a car without test driving it, right?

I did check that all the hardware was correct and that it worked as it should, I checked for image retention, dead and stuck pixels and yellow tint.

The only "issue" I've had so far is a little bit of backlight bleeding in the bottom corners but I can barely notice it even I turn the brightness up to the max and look at the screen from an extreme downward angle. But then again, it's pretty much impossible to get a screen nowadays without any backlight bleeding whatsoever. If you have then consider yourself super lucky.

I'm extremely satisfied with my 27" iMac so far.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
The point I'm making is this

If I go and look for problems - you bet I'll find them.

If there IS a problem. Ill see it in normal use. Ie. no need for IR testing etc.

It will become obvious quickly if any issues are there. And if they are apple will sort it.

I'm coming from a genuine positive headspace of assuming its ok unless I see otherwise

As oppose some people who have tied themselves in knots assuming their machine will be faulty and then going out to look for the faults.

I doubt anyone has absolute perfection. So if you look hard enough you will find something that will just disappoint you. You may not even have noticed until you went looking

Once you know about a tiny tiny flaw in a display. You will constantly be drawn to it.

Everyone's tolerance of imperfections is different. I'm a fussy woman. But I have faith in the product I bought and the AppleCare. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise

So I'll save myself the stress and just enjoy it

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Check optical drive

I just bought a used Imac 24 inch and it will not read audio CD.

messiry

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
many thanks foe the reply, of course i would like to enjoy the iMac, however the investment made is really big, and i found that others had some common issue such the IR. i am testing it now and will let you know,, but defiantly this iMac worth each $ paid.

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
Dear experts, i just got my new 27" iMac (i5, 680MX, 1TB Fusion) now i would like to test that i have no problems with my hardware, display, etc. how would i do this? which tools?

thank you for your guidance here, i am sure many other would be also interested to check their new iMac's,,,it's quite big investment.

Cheers!!

Key, test for me was to see if there are any dead pixels as I find them very annoying. Download Pixel Check and run it.

Otherwise quick look for dents/dings and off you go - enjoy it!

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands

Cheers!!

Hmm... when I get mine that I ordered 3 weeks ago I will only be checking the following and hoping nothing stands out (or else for me it means another 6-8 week wait):
1. Hardware specs match what I ordered.
2. No dents or scratches on body (I'll accept small scratches on the backside)
3. Nothing is visibly wrong with display (dead pixels).
4. Machine shuts down/starts up/restarts ok.

If the above checks out I'm a happy camper.

messiry

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Key, test for me was to see if there are any dead pixels as I find them very annoying. Download Pixel Check and run it.

Otherwise quick look for dents/dings and off you go - enjoy it!

Many thanks for this, my iMac has none of these issues :) happy about that, wish the same for you guys, now i will register the apple care.. and thanks for the support.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Other checks:

Dead pixels?
Backlight bleed?
Stuck pixels?
Scratches on aluminum?
Scratches on glass?
Yellowing on screen?
Image Retention?
Fan noise?
CPU matches order?
GPU matches order?
RAM matches order?
Camera works?
Speakers work?
Brand of hard disk (Would appear the Seagate Baracuda ST1000DM003 is better than the Western Digital WD10EALX)?

Great list!
I didn't have a list, but I literally did every single one on there in the course of checking my machine.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Great Check List

Anyone who says you shouldn't stress test or check your iMac out is misleading you. The iMac can be stressed, its not a paper towel. It's a hardcore piece of equipment and can handle 10 minutes of a checkerboard, and or checking to make sure your fans are ok, etc. You have 14 days to check your iMac out, and thats why Apple lets you get a replacement within 14 days. So if you don't want to check it, then I have a few cars I would like to see you as well ;)

I have to say, I had a long list of things to do and I did have a good close inspection, put it through its paces but I didn't do any of the formulaic tests.

I had a shopping list ready, but didn't go through with it. Probably too lazy. Or didn't want to find any faults as I really don't want to wait for weeks to get a replacement. Besides, with AppleCare I am sure problems will be sorted whenever they arise.

Here's my shopping list in case it helps:

Image retention test:
1. Set your background to dark gray (Preferences>Desktop&Screen Saver>Solid colors> and look for the dark gray at middle top row of solid colors
2. Pull up safari and go to your fav website and leave it up on your screen for 10 minutes (example, you can leave anything static on your screen)
3. Minimize Safari and see if you have IR

Other checks:

Dead pixels?
Backlight bleed?
Stuck pixels?
Scratches on aluminum?
Scratches on glass?
Yellowing on screen?
Image Retention?
Fan noise?
CPU matches order?
GPU matches order?
RAM matches order?
Camera works?
Speakers work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.