Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I need some advice from some fellow Apple users. I'm deciding between the baseline Macbook Air 11'' and the baseline Macbook Air 13''. I will use for internet browsing, YouTube, homework (Microsoft Office) and maybe every now and then some gaming - GTA IV and watching Movies on iTunes. Also maybe some Google Sketch-up. What do you guys think? I have a school laptop but would like to buy my own laptop that I can download what I want on it and not stick to the schools rules/regulations/agreement.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
This is like the 50th thread on this right? :D

I mean if you want to do gaming on it I would suggest the 13" because of the larger screen. I have the 11" since its not my primary computer and I just wanted it for traveling.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The 13" give you more screen space and is only marginally bigger, plus it has twice the hard drive space. I vote 13", but it is a matter of preference.

Can you go to a nearby store to compare them in person? Either machine will be fine for what you want to do with it.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Go with the 13" unless you are ONLY going to use it for web browsing and listening to music.

If you have papers to write for school, trust me, you're going to want the 13".

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
For me personally, this would depend on how I use my computer on a daily basis:

-If I traveled frequently, didn't need "all-day" computing, but had to use my computer during that time, I would strongly favor the 11". For home though, I would have to buy an external monitor because I wouldn't want to work with the resolution constraints all the time. This goes against my minimalistic philosophy though, so unless my job demanded it, I wouldn't go this route.

-If I didn't meet the above requirements, or I did travel, but I needed more battery life, I would go with the 13" without a second thought.

The higher resolution will help with Excel. This might not mean too much now if you're a student though.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
If you want the best portability, go with the 11" and an external screen for home. If you don't really need the portability and want the screen real estate, then the 13" is for you.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
To me the Air is all about portability but it still has to be useable, which is why the 11" is something of an oddity. With all the windows most folks have open simultaneously, 11" just isn't practical. Also, save your $ a little longer and bump the specs up -- this baby can't be user upgraded and you want it to last.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
If you need to write up papers on the computer or use it for long periods unplugged, you're going to appreciate the 13". If you are just browsing, taking notes and listening to music, the 11" is insanely good for that.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I just bought the 13" MBA in my sig. Coming from a 13" MBP and my goal was to not compromise on my computing experience while at the same time getting the lightest computing package possible (and staying with OSX).

I really like my 13" MBA BUT it doesn't really feel that different from my MBP. I think if this will be your only computer go 13" or if you need the battery life because the battery life on this computer is fantastic.

But if you are looking for a truly OMG I can't believe this is a computer kind of lightweight machine then the 13" MBA might disappoint.

Still it is an excellent machine. I haven't tried the 11" MBA except at the Apple store. The battery life limitations and the fact that I use my laptop as my only computer for both work and play and without the option for an external monitor made me sure I couldn't handle the smaller screen 24/7.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
The battery life limitations and the fact that I use my laptop as my only computer for both work and play and without the option for an external monitor made me sure I couldn't handle the smaller screen 24/7.

Battery I can understand, but the 11 is nearly at parity with the 13" as far as performance, and you can totally use it with an external display. Just like the 13. Unless you mean that you don't have one/access to one.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Coming from 2011 i7 MBP 15"

DEcided to try the 11" first -- LOVE IT !!!

Use external monitor 99% of the time (Apple 24" LED) and the speed of the 1.7/i5/128 11" air is great! For everyday tasks no different than my i7. For rendering an imovie it is slower but the catch is... it is also SILENT! THe 2011 MBP would ramp fans up within 30 seconds and was totally annoying! The air gets to ~80degC CPU with fans at minimum and stays there! Perfect!!!!!

I am going to do a BTO with 8G of ram and the 256G SSD but the proc I am going to leave at the i5. Less heat - no noise. For intensive tasks I have a 2012 i7 2.6 mini (audio production station). For the office the 11 air is killer. And for the dozen times I use it as a laptop it is super light and totally useable.

I added a $15 usb2/gigabit ethernet and usb3 card reader (mono price) and now have all the connectivity I need. Should Apple (please!!) come out with an updated thunderbolt display (24" I hope) with USB3, TB and Ethernet ports I will get that too...

To me, the Air and mini are the two best Apple computers. Honorable mention for the Retina 15" for a gorgeous screen + CPU power... for those who work that way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.