Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Hello,

I think I got overzealous and god myself stuck in a corner. I had been squeezing the last driblets of life out of an old Dell Inspiron laptop (most of my work was done on my iMac at work, or my iPad at home...it can be done).

Anyway, I bought the latest version of VMWare with the hopes of running Windows 8 in it. Only after purchasing the $50 Win 8 upgrade did I realize my mistake.

At this point, I'm looking for any solution that fits what I have, or routes I can take to get a cheap Windows install disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated...most of my wife's workflow revolves around applications that only work in Windows...

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I don't personally have any experience with Windows 8 but apparently you can activate the Upgrade copy the same way you do with Windows 7.

Here's a tutorial - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.html

The attached batch (.bat) file in that tutorial just changes "MediaBootInstall" to "0" and then runs "slmgr /rearm". This is the exact same method used for activating a Windows 7 Upgrade Clean Install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.