Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Downloaded Qemu and started to configure but got into problems right away.(On powerbook G4 1.67 10.5.8)

First problem (solved):

Error: pkg-config binary 'pkg-config' not found
So I downloaded it, installed it but didn't work, then found a site which mentions homebrew but couldn't get that to work, maybe no ppc code??
But I soon found out it was installed in /Opt, so moved to /Usr/bin and so on and got it to work.

But then got this:

glib-2.12 required to compile QEMU

So, downloaded gtk+-2.12.3.tar.bz2 and started to compile but already in configure I got the next Errors:

checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5 atk >= 1.9.0 pango >= 1.17.3 cairo >= 1.2.0) were not met:

No package 'glib-2.0' found
No package 'atk' found
No package 'pango' found
No package 'cairo' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

:confused::confused:
I want to install glib-2.12 but it needs glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5, what the hell???
It needs a greater version of itself to install???

What should I download and where so I can then compile Qemu?
And what about the other needed packages?

Cheers

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
MacPorts is brilliant - all dependencies are handled automatically. Just a heads up - if you have to build GTK it's going to take you a very long time!

I haven't used MacPorts in a while, but on FreeBSD Ports (on which MacPorts is based) it is as simple as:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/qemu && make install clean

All dependencies are then resolved and built in turn, until we finally get on to building QEMU itself. I don't know what machine you have, but the general rule of thumb is to issue:
Code:
make -j n
where n is the number of CPUs/cores you have +1.

You will also need Xcode installed - but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Good luck, and please share with us if you get it compiling!

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
MacPorts is brilliant - all dependencies are handled automatically. Just a heads up - if you have to build GTK it's going to take you a very long time!

I haven't used MacPorts in a while, but on FreeBSD Ports (on which MacPorts is based) it is as simple as:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/qemu && make install clean

All dependencies are then resolved and built in turn, until we finally get on to building QEMU itself. I don't know what machine you have, but the general rule of thumb is to issue:
Code:
make -j n
where n is the number of CPUs/cores you have +1.

You will also need Xcode installed - but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Good luck, and please share with us if you get it compiling!

Powerbook 1.67, the one before the High res.

It does not matter if it takes a long time, but I find it strange that I need a newer version of GLib to install the old version?????

I just wait for a day of two and if there are no people which have the answer I am going to download a 60 MB file which I rather avoid(Capped internet).

Cheers Perry

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Downloaded Qemu and started to configure but got into problems right away.(On powerbook G4 1.67 10.5.8)

First problem (solved):

Error: pkg-config binary 'pkg-config' not found
So I downloaded it, installed it but didn't work, then found a site which mentions homebrew but couldn't get that to work, maybe no ppc code??
But I soon found out it was installed in /Opt, so moved to /Usr/bin and so on and got it to work.

But then got this:

glib-2.12 required to compile QEMU

So, downloaded gtk+-2.12.3.tar.bz2 and started to compile but already in configure I got the next Errors:

checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5 atk >= 1.9.0 pango >= 1.17.3 cairo >= 1.2.0) were not met:

No package 'glib-2.0' found
No package 'atk' found
No package 'pango' found
No package 'cairo' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

:confused::confused:
I want to install glib-2.12 but it needs glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5, what the hell???
It needs a greater version of itself to install???

What should I download and where so I can then compile Qemu?
And what about the other needed packages?

Cheers

http://www.kju-app.org/

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That's what I'm wondering. Why are you trying to compile it when you can just download and run it?

Cause that one is 5 years old and it just does not seem to work on my machine, tried with linux, windows and never got it to work, they say VPC was slow, try installing windows in the old one, I stopped it, unbearable.

So, I just want to try the newer one out.

-----

I downloaded MacPorts by the way, seems to be easier, let it run overnight but Internet connection got lost so it stopped halfway.
Takes a lot of time.

I know what compiling does and is, but I wonder why it takes so long, what does it actually do?

-----

Now I get this in Macport, strange it already installed a few packages before:

rror: Couldn't determine your Xcode version (from '/usr/bin/xcodebuild -version').
Error:
Error: If you have not installed Xcode, install it now; see:
Error: http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html
Error:
Error: org.macports.extract for port zlib returned: unable to find Xcode
Error: Failed to install zlib
Please see the log file for port zlib for details:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zlib/zlib/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: curl openssl zlib pkgconfig cyrus-sasl2 kerberos5 glib2 libffi xz gnutls libgcrypt libgpg-error libtasn1 lzo2 readline jpeg libpixman libpng libtool autoconf help2man p5.12-locale-gettext m4 automake ossp-uuid python27 bzip2 db46 libedit python_select sqlite3 texinfo
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: Processing of port qemu failed

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cause that one is 5 years old and it just does not seem to work on my machine, tried with linux, windows and never got it to work, they say VPC was slow, try installing windows in the old one, I stopped it, unbearable.

So, I just want to try the newer one out.
Oh, ok. I get that.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
On Mac OS X 10.5, zlib 1.2.7 requires Xcode 3.1 or later but you have Xcode 3.0.

Xcode 3.1.2 Developer Tools DVD .DMG 995.85 MB:eek:

No thanks, that's 33% of my monthly internet package and that just for installing Qemu which isn't that big.

If only I could install Glib 2, then the build would go ahead without MacPorts

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Might be my system, I upgraded all the way up from 10.0:eek: without a wipe or a new Install, actually I did a while ago but it had all kinds of strange problems after importing settings so I reverted back to my old System.

Just does not work, slow, crashes and so on.
Last time I tried importing a VPC machine, the progress bar never progressed and I could see in iStat menu's the Read/Write speed was 1 MB/s or less, stopped it after 1 hour and 100% CPU.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What a difficult process this is.:confused:

Installing Glib gtk+-2.12.3

So, downloaded gtk+-2.13.5
checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.17.6 atk >= 1.13.0 pango >= 1.20 cairo >= 1.6) were not met:

So, I always seem to need a newer version to install the old one, just plain stupid.

Tried it another way and downloaded from http://www.gtk.org/download/macos.php and followed the instruction from https://live.gnome.org/GTK+/OSX/Building but then get:
sudo sh gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
Checking out jhbuild (2.32.4) from git...
git: 'pull' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
Did you mean this?
shell
Update of jhbuild failed

Before this I downloaded git 3 times, the first one said Universal but was not, 50 MB wasted, second didn't work either, then searched for GIT PPC, downloaded it, installed but was in the wrong place, had to move them manually.
Now I think the Git build is an earlier one since it doesn't know PULL.

All this downloading dependencies for just a small program.

This is why I don't like the free Unix/Linux "software", it many times does not work, start compiling and you need to download A to Install, start compiling A and it says you need B to install, and so on, just stupid.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Might be my system, I upgraded all the way up from 10.0:eek: without a wipe or a new Install, actually I did a while ago but it had all kinds of strange problems after importing settings so I reverted back to my old System.

Just does not work, slow, crashes and so on.
Last time I tried importing a VPC machine, the progress bar never progressed and I could see in iStat menu's the Read/Write speed was 1 MB/s or less, stopped it after 1 hour and 100% CPU.
Q has never really worked that well for me. It runs, I even got Win98 installed and working once. But it's such a problematic thing I just gave up on it and ran VirtualPC 7.

It may be that even if you get it compiled you still have the same issues.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Q has never really worked that well for me. It runs, I even got Win98 installed and working once. But it's such a a problematic thing I just gave up on it and ran VirtualPC 7.

It may be that even if you get it compiled you still have the same issues.

Maybe I should buy an Intel Mac, would make things a lot easier.

This "project will probably find it's end sooner than later, if I had unlimited internet I would download amore recent Dev.Tools and some other packages but now it's just to much of a pain.

GTK+ Manual pages Sux as well, not really helpful.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Dont end the project now...

I won't (yet) but will wait a day or so and try again.

If this does not work I'll wait until I am back from Singapore where I have access to fast internet, will download Developers Tools there.

Actually my sis send me a parcel but I was just to late to ask for a CD with Dev.Tools.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Powerbook G4 1.67 Max. 2 GB but I have the well known lower slot problem, thanks Apple for not releasing a firmware update.

Slightly off-topic, but "lower slot story" is hardware failure (solder joints). And it's sometimes fixable with hot air soldering.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Slightly off-topic, but "lower slot story" is hardware failure (solder joints). And it's sometimes fixable with hot air soldering.

I don't think I agree here (politely), there is a fix which works for some people by mapping the Memory in Open Firmware, some got lucky, not me though.

Here is the link to that fix.

I could try to what you say but I am in Indonesia now and I do not have access to either a heat gun nor an oven.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.