Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Can someone explain, did this agreement they had ban the company's from poaching staff from each other, or did it also stop them from hiring employees from these other company's who approached them? Like an Apple employee just apply's for a Palm job but due to the agreement Palm weren't allowed to hire them?

As I said in an earlier post on this thread. The way I read it, this agreement was to stop companies actively poaching staff from one another. It was not to put any barrier on staff wanting to change companies of their own accord. So, the Google HR department was not allowed to call up Apple employees at their desk and offer them a job. But, if someone from Apple wanted to work at Google and approached them first, that was fine.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
He's confused with Apple Insider. MacRumors is mostly neutral in regards to Apple, except for a few posters here and there on each side. The vast majority are here because they are Apple users and interested in what Apple does, good or bad.

I don't know what the percentages are, but I still think the majority of people here are pro-Apple (and I am not saying that is necessarily a good or bad thing). If that is not the case, oh well.

My point was that when the original poster posted "And people call Samsung scum" and then said another user had "the morals of a 3-year-old", he wasn't adding anything to the discussion and was being insulting.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
No, everyone should be able to make their case for or against Apple (or whoever they want) without being insulted by others. There was no reason for telling someone they have the "morals of a 3-year-old" simply because of a disagreement. People should be able to say what they want without being attacked. How am I not being open-minded?

Thats all fine. But if you re-read your original post it sounded like you were saying if you make a negative comment against Apple/Jobs you should get be ready to get slammed.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't know what the percentages are, but I still think the majority of people here are pro-Apple (and I am not saying that is necessarily a good or bad thing). If that is not the case, oh well.

My point was that when the original poster posted "And people call Samsung scum" and then said another user had "the morals of a 3-year-old", he wasn't adding anything to the discussion and was being insulting.

You'll also noticed he was "Banned" by the time you got to replying to him.

----------

So MacRumors bans people with dissenting opinions now? Good to know.

No, they don't. They ban people who post against the rules. Having often a "dissenting opinion", if what you said were actually the case, I'd have been banned a long time ago (and probably quite a few posters here would be quite happy about it).

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Just shows what a complete dick Steve Jobs was. Threatening a lawsuit if the other party does not agree to an illegal activity.
I`m glad that some companies like Palm have bosses with integrity.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
You'll also noticed he was "Banned" by the time you got to replying to him.

----------

No, they don't. They ban people who post against the rules. Having often a "dissenting opinion", if what you said were actually the case, I'd have been banned a long time ago (and probably quite a few posters here would be quite happy about it).

I wouldn't have been happy about it. You for one speak your mind intelligently and give your true feelings regardless of the forum. I appreciate that. Not many around here anymore that do that.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
As I said in an earlier post on this thread. The way I read it, this agreement was to stop companies actively poaching staff from one another. It was not to put any barrier on staff wanting to change companies of their own accord. So, the Google HR department was not allowed to call up Apple employees at their desk and offer them a job. But, if someone from Apple wanted to work at Google and approached them first, that was fine.

That's what I thought after reading some of the comments, I read it as including someone wanting to change companies themselves but the majority seem to think it's the poaching employee's that it covers. Hence my question.

Last edited by a moderator:

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Thats all fine. But if you re-read your original post it sounded like you were saying if you make a negative comment against Apple/Jobs you should get be ready to get slammed.

Well, that wasn't my intention at all.

Did you honestly think you could slam Apple and not get some sort of reaction on a rather pro-Apple discussion board? Since this is an area to discuss things, you should intelligently make your case (and so should Apple fanboys), but there is not need to insult others.

I was obviously saying that even the Apple fanboys need to intelligently make their points as well. Nobody needs to be insulting, and there is plenty of room for respectful disagreements.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
What an angry man Stevd was. I like him less and less each day. Not that Tim is doing a better job though.

Steve often acted like a child....although his childlike behavior is mentioned at times in stories, his behavior was like this example every single day.

Another side of Steve was his "my way or the highway" attitude.

And people on this website wonder why apple rarely has business partners....for Apple's entire history.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Absolutely. I've also been in a company where a co-director was a scared clueless ****, and he operated in exactly the same way. When luckily he ended up with a great product thanks to the skills of his employees, he protected it by threats, fraud, and bullying tactics, rather than in any way trying to encourage our employees to carry on creating great things.

The outpouring of hero-worship that followed Jobs' death was just bonkers. What was that about?

There are some guys at Apple who can do great stuff that matters. With luck, they may now be allowed to get on with doing it, and with a lot more luck they might be able to avoid getting too bogged down in lawsuits on the way. I'm sure the same applies at Samsung and Microsoft (and Google, probably).
Right...

And without Steve Jobs, Apple was about to go belly up despite all those "brilliant" Apple employees.

apple2aapl

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Everyone is so quick to judge! The decisions Steve made, regardless if they were wrong or right, have put Apple and it's employees, shareholders, and customers in a great place. Steve was not a good or bad man, he was a man, who made an impact. While everyone else is scrutinizing Apples practices and the actions of company officials, I will be appreciating the struggles that have had to take place for me to enjoy the THINGS I have.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Everyone is so quick to judge! The decisions Steve made, regardless if they were wrong or right, have put Apple and it's employees, shareholders, and customers in a great place. Steve was not a good or bad man, he was a man, who made an impact. While everyone else is scrutinizing Apples practices and the actions of company officials, I will be appreciating the struggles that have had to take place for me to enjoy the THINGS I have.
It is not right or wrong. *It is wrong and ILLEGAL. *It is not right in any way shape or form. *I am damn happy the judge is making this public. It showing some more of the under handed crap top management does.
sorry it might of helped everyone BUT the employees. It did not help the employees in any way shape or form. Hell it hurts everyone who works in that field by artificially pushing down our wages and benefits. Yeah I want to see Apple and others on this get slammed and screwed over big time. Part of it is because it is wrong and part of it is because long term it equals more money for me as it will cause the industry average wage for software devs to go up, which means my pay goes up more with it.

The big guys tend to set what the average pay is. They now will have to pay their employees more to keep them from leaving which means pay goes up across the board.
People do not tend to jump ship with out another job lined up. This prevents jobs from getting lined up to jump ship.

So no it hurts the employees and really the people who benifit the most are shareholders and Apple. Customers chances are helped and at best break even. Employees are hurt. Hell all employees in the industry are hurt by this.

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
He's probably up there suing God for various patent and IP infringements, although God probably has some good lawyers too.

NoneOfYourB

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I don't think it hurts employees.
If Palm would look for a talented programmer they'd just place an ad and you would be free to apply for the job.
If they targeted you specifically they'd know exactly what you are working on and what you learned at apple.
In that case you'd be a higher level employee at apple and know perfectly well that you are valuable to competing companies.
So if you didn't care working for Apple anymore or want more money your resume would help you.

So whats he problem here? Earning far more than 100K and don't have the balls to apply for a better job or ask for more...
Pay for a negotiator!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

How can you state this, what ever laws Steve Jobs and Apple broke is perfectly fine and acceptable because it helped Apple!!!! So you fully support corporations consciously choosing to ignore the law and do what ever they want to do regardless of who's rights it infringes on?
If a corporation is incapable of getting where it is by following simple things like laws covering poaching, then it states an awful lot about that corporation, namely it's not very good.

Apple broke the law, then threatened a competitor who refused to agree to the breach of that law which could be seen as a form of blackmail, if you need to defend that, I think you need at look at your morals.

I can tell you many corporations 'try' to ignore laws or twist them to suit them, usual surrounding employees rights, but if they go to court over it, they often alway's loose because the Judge will remind them I dont care what you say, the law is the law, period! It is NOT open to interpretation.

Last edited:

stacecom

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013

I'm trying not to read this as "The ends justify the means", but I'm having trouble doing so.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
Working At Apple

What would you do - Work at Apple with the risk of never being able to get another job again, or do you never work at Apple?

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Just to show you how crazy this "non compete" stuff was in the 90's, when I left my job with a tech company and applied at another competitor, I was told by the CEO who interviewed me that he signed an agreement with my old company and others in the chain that forbid hiring of management for a period of 3 years or it would cost $30k. So my interviewer asked me if i could come up with the $30k and then he would hire me! Talk about getting thrown under the bus. My next call was to my lawyer....

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Everyone is so quick to judge! The decisions Steve made, regardless if they were wrong or right, have put Apple and it's employees, shareholders, and customers in a great place.

You listed employees. Funny. This is what the issue is about. Jobs conspired (and blackmailed) to the detriment of (some of) its employees.

While everyone else is scrutinizing Apples practices and the actions of company officials, I will be appreciating the struggles that have had to take place for me to enjoy the THINGS I have.

You go right ahead. Damned those infernal people who were potentially shafted so you could have those things. Are you also in favor of sweat shops and/or slave labor? Were you one of those people who hated that fact that Foxconn was audited because damn those who want better conditions for themselves as long as you get products they love? :rolleyes:

apple2aapl

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
How can people state, this, what ever laws Steve Jobs broke is perfectly fine and acceptable because it helped Apple!!!! So you fully support corporations consciously choosing to ignore the law and do what ever they want to do regardless of who's rights it infringes on?
If a corporation is incapable of getting where it is by following simple things like laws covering poaching, then it states an awful lot about that corporation, namely it's not very good.

Apple broke the law, then threatened a competitor who refused to agree to the breach of that law which could be seen as a form of blackmail, if you need to defend that, I think you need at look at your morals.

I don't necessarily endorse or support it, however I'm a realist and know that it happens, and so does everyone else who has some idea of how corporations and the people who run them operate. I'm saying, we could pick out every negative aspect of every individual and corporation, or look at what benefit they've brought to me and those around me. Apple has made a significant difference in the way that I live, and I appreciate the hard work and difficult decision making (wrong or right) that has had to take place in order for me to live the life that I do.

If you think you have the things you have, or are able to do the things you do, without someone, somewhere in time acting in a manor that you would disapprove of, you are incorrect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.