Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/01-23-2013/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/23/wind-waker-hd-fall-2013/

This morning's Nintendo Direct confirmed two new Zelda games for Wii U, namely a HD remake of GameCube game Wind Waker with improvements to gameplay and graphics, and a brand new entry that will address series conventions like "completing the dungeons in a certain order", and to "play by yourself." The Wind Waker HD remake is confirmed for release "by this fall."

Also they mention a new Zelda game will come at some time later but who couldn't guess that.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/01-23-2013/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/23/wind-waker-hd-fall-2013/

Also they mention a new Zelda game will come at some time later but who couldn't guess that.

I am so happy, if you had asked me what would I like to see on the Wii U more than anything, I would probably have said a Windwaker remake along with the obvious new Mario and Zelda.
Can't explain how excited I am for this. I spent ages playing this game on the GameCube.

Renzatic

Suspended
Can't explain how excited I am for this. I spent ages playing this game on the GameCube.

Probably for the same reason I got excited for this

...and then deflated, because it's only an incredibly well done fan trailer. Why, Nintendo? WHYYYY?

Though an HD remake of Wind Waker would be my 2nd choice. It was the last of the great Zeldas in my opinion. Twilight Princess was alright, I guess. I just didn't like the cheesy "darker and edgier" direction they took the series in with it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I still play Wind Waker today :) Best Zelda game in the series by far (well for me).

And this time round lets hope we wont have to listen to the "i dont like the kiddy look' BS it got when it first came out.

Renzatic

Suspended
And this time round lets hope we wont have to listen to the "i dont like the kiddy look' BS it got when it first came out.

First person to say that gets a rock chucked at them. :mad:

Windwaker is easily the best looking, most atmospheric, and most charming game in the series, and has stood the test of time far, far better than the rest. You can thank the "baby kiddie" look for that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Can't wait :)

Read a really cool list of summaries for Zelda games. The one for Windwaker was "a story about growing up, exploring, and coming of age". Sums that game up so well.

Maybe they'll add in some more bonus content too. And the soundtrack had better be fully orchestrated!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
First person to say that gets a rock chucked at them. :mad:

Hear hear!

Personally, I like Ocarina of Time best, but Wind Waker is superb in its own right, and can stand up there with any of them.

I never understood the "Cel-da" controversy...I guess people like to complain. It is hard to push the boundaries when people want edgy, new stuff that is ... just like the old stuff.

Renzatic

Suspended
Hear hear!

Personally, I like Ocarina of Time best, but Wind Waker is superb in its own right, and can stand up there with any of them.

It's hard for me to choose between any of the first 3 3D Zeldas. Each one of them have some special thing about them that make them stand out from the rest in the series, and makes each one of them compelling in their own right.

Ocarina of Time was the best "classic" style Zelda ever made. It's got everything in it, and it does it all very well.

Majora's Mask. Well, if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably pick this one. It's the biggest departure the series has made gameplaywise. The groundhog day loop, the constant threat of the clock relentlessly counting down, and the way you get deep into everyone's story. I found it really interesting.

It also helps that it's got this very, very sinister and weird atmosphere going on.

Wind Waker. It's like playing every cool storybook adventure ever made, rolled up in a stylish package. How could you not like it?

So, yup. All three of them are good. I think it's a shame Nintendo has gone with the more "serious" style for the later Zeldas, because they just don't seem to have the same charm they used to.

...or maybe I'm getting old and crotchety. :p

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I think it's a shame Nintendo has gone with the more "serious" style for the later Zeldas, because they just don't seem to have the same charm they used to.

...or maybe I'm getting old and crotchety. :p

I would agree with that. Though I never owned a Wii, I played Twilight Princess on my ex's Wii and couldn't get into it, God knows I wanted too. The fact that it was a serious style in standard definition did not help at a time when we were being blown away by HD graphics on the PS3 and Xbox.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I LOVED Wind Waker. Only thing I didn't like was the way you had to change the wind direction, it felt cumbersome. Other than that, the sea exploring was amazing and I spent a lot of time in the game. Majora's Mask might be my favourite with all the townspeople and their problems that you were trying to solve.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
I still think the original Legend of Zelda is the best of the series. Absolutely fantastic gameplay, music is amazing. It took me years to finish. And I don't think that many people got very far in the Second Quest.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Oh Nintendo, you know how to make me buy a Wii U.

The do have a way of chipping away at one's ability to resist...if not Mario...if not Mario Kart...if not Donkey Kong...if not (fill in the blank), then Zelda will usually do the trick.

Their intellectual property is top-notch. I respect them for not doing a Disney, and milking everything for as much as possible (Disney Cruise Line--really?), even if they could use the money.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
omg. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda. I loved it! That aside, no I will not be buying a wii u to replay my favorite game. How does nintendo think that re-releasing old hits is a feasible business model? Pro Tip if you have nintendo stock jump ship now, because if you thought the waters were rough before... you just wait.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
omg. Wind Waker was my favorite Zelda. I loved it! That aside, no I will not be buying a wii u to replay my favorite game. How does nintendo think that re-releasing old hits is a feasible business model? Pro Tip if you have nintendo stock jump ship now, because if you thought the waters were rough before... you just wait.

Wow, vitriolic!
It's not a business model. It's one game, and the first time Nintendo have made a "HD" update. You know, the kind of thing Sony, Microsoft, Konami, Capcom have all been highly successful doing :rolleyes:
Well done. You're not buying a Wii U, you don't have to mention it in every Wii U thread ;).

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Wow, vitriolic!
It's not a business model. It's one game, and the first time Nintendo have made a "HD" update. You know, the kind of thing Sony, Microsoft, Konami, Capcom have all been highly successful doing :rolleyes:
Well done. You're not buying a Wii U, you don't have to mention it in every Wii U thread ;).

Turns out I don't think you can control what I have the right to say or not regardless of whether you agree with me. Money talks more facts than fanboys. Sorry bro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.