Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have no problems with Siri but I'm using it for basic things like checking weather, setting reminders and alarms. I'm glad I have it. It agree its not being used to its full potential.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
What? Apple must be one of the most worldwide-release and worldwide-accessible friendly tech companies out there. Devices are launched close to simultaneously, and services catch up very quickly. In this aspect, they are light years ahead of Google, Amazon, Netflix, and pretty much everybody else too. (And don't get me wrong, I'm more of an Android user) I never heard anybody say that Apple only cares about America :S so I was surprised.

Until iOS6 was released, Siri was pretty much useless in the UK

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
yup. i love how it learns your usage.. say for example: i take a couple of bus and subway routes for my work commutes. after just a short time, google now learned which bus and subway lines i take automatically. so now when i walk near a stop or station, google now will alert me of the schedule, and what time the bus or subway will arrive.

same with sports. it automatically learned which teams i follow, and it will give me the upcoming schedule, game info, and results.

I know a couple of people who were left completely scared ******** when their Android handset sounded an alert one morning and it said "better leave now, traffic on your usual route is dense, that is if you want to be at the office on time".

:eek:

The thing learned the route, the usual time of departure of the person, and his time getting to work. And from that, cross-checked usual traffic patterns vs that morning's patterns... all without anyone asking anything of it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It doesn't surprise me Apple released a narrow and feature crippled version of Siri, so it could trickle out capabilities one at a time to have a tool to promote each iteration of hardware. This could easily take 5-10 years to all trickle out.

Are there things Siri can do on iPhone 5 that it can't do on 4S?

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
When I used an iPhone 4S the first time, I immediately tested Siri for everything. Now, I must say, I havn't thought/used Siri for months. It just isn't reliable - long loading times and dependability on a network for setting local things is just nog a good idea. If the voice-analysation would run offline and only then detect if it's necessary to connect to the web for let's say images or so, it'd be way faster.

Maybe they don't want to do this because this would cause users to need to update the analysation-process every week or so, and some people might not have newer versions installed when searching thus giving problems.
But perhaps the always-online-stuff is only for the beta - afterwards updates won't be quite as frequent I would think.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I have no problems with Siri but I'm using it for basic things like checking weather, setting reminders and alarms. I'm glad I have it. It agree its not being used to its full potential.

It's funny that some of those simple tasks are done with Siri, only because frankly, it's less annoying than unlocking the phone and going into the proper app. Something Google solved way back when with lock screen information and widgets instead, which means its faster to just look at the lock screen than ask Siri or any other voice assistant for the same data.

M

Mr.damien

I could imagine how android fanboys would say that Siri is a killer Android-Only feature if Apple didn't buy it.

Now it's just a useless Apple feature. :rolleyes:

M

Mr.damien

Quickly, how do you manipulate screen brightness on iOS ?

That is, without "Home button -> Settings -> Brightness and Wallpaper".

Double tap on home button -> slide left -> brightness on my iPad. Blazing fast.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada

Step 1. Double tap "Home button".
Step 2. Swipe to the right.
Step 3. Adjust brightness with slider.

Next question?

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
If only Siri were good or useful. As it stands now, Google Voice Search is light years ahead of it.

----------

I could imagine how android fanboys would say that Siri is a killer Android-Only feature if Apple didn't buy it.

Android already has a killer feature that we don't have on iPhone - a quality OS that doesn't appear to have been made specifically for babies.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Until iOS6 was released, Siri was pretty much useless in the UK

It still is isn't it?

I mean realistically, yes you can do voice control of things like texts/calls/search/etc but even stuff like TV schedules are still missing.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

It works both ways. If it had been released as an Android feature, Apple fanboys would slate it as being useless.

The fact is though, its been useless on iOS. Google Now, with less development time seems to have the edge. Obviously it cant do stuff like texting and such, however thats down to iOS being locked down, not Google limiting their app.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
That's a good point. When Siri eventually comes out of beta, I would bet it'll be more standalone. It works fast on Wi-Fi and passable on LTE/4G but Google's voice search on the iPhone shows you can do transcription immediately without a data connection. That's where Siri needs to be.

But Siri is never going to out of Beta... Beta is Apple's new excuse for everything that doesn't work well. They still advertise and sell using it, but don't have to make it work as well as advertised.

So why would they ever take it out of beta? They can have their cake and eat it too, and legions of fans will defend them no matter what anyway. "It's just beta".

cptdavep

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
We need real AI

Siri and other voice apps will all have limited use until they have proper offline AI. I hope this is something we'll see in the next decade or so.

I want to be able to have a proper conversation with an artificial intelligence that actually understands the meaning of what I say, and can access any data or perform any function on the internet or connected devices without having to guess what I want based on a limited list of what it knows how to do. And I want it everywhere, not just on my phone.

I want it to be listening all the time, so all I need to do is say a keyword and it's on.
I want it to work offline and instantly.
I want it to be able to find out anything where the information exists online, not just from a few select apple partners.

Imagine you're sat at your desk, you're cold so you ask siri to turn the heating on and it does it.
Imagine you're out and you worry you left the oven on - ask siri and it will tell you.
Imagine you're at home and have lost your phone, you ask siri (on your home intercom) and the phone rings.
You have a question about anything and siri can tell you.

Until voice control is all these things it will remain an occasional tool of limited use.

Oh, and she would need to obey Asimovs Three Laws... ;)

Renzatic

Suspended

If you're using an iPad, sliding four fingers up, swiping once to the left on the little task bar, then moving the brightness scrubber til you're happy is the way I do it. I'd say it'd take about the same amount of time to do that as it would to tell Siri to "set brightness to x%".

It'd be an entirely different story on the iPhone, where you do have to go to settings to change the brightness.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It works both ways. If it had been released as an Android feature, Apple fanboys would slate it as being useless.

The fact is though, its been useless on iOS. Google Now, with less development time seems to have the edge. Obviously it cant do stuff like texting and such, however thats down to iOS being locked down, not Google limiting their app.

There is no Google Now on iOS, only Google Voice Search. Google Now is an Android exclusive features as it requires much deeper ties to the OS.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
There is no Google Now on iOS, only Google Voice Search. Google Now is an Android exclusive features as it requires much deeper ties to the OS.

Its a very minor point. They both use the same voice technology. The only real difference is one is for android (and can perform system commands, like Siri) and the other cant.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Step 1. Double tap "Home button".
Step 2. Swipe to the right.
Step 3. Adjust brightness with slider.

Next question?

Now do it on something other than an ipad.

Are there things Siri can do on iPhone 5 that it can't do on 4S?

Yeah, Apple doesn't artificially limit software features based on hardware. Last time I checked with every new phone come a new iteration of iOS where software features become talking and selling points of the new hardware. Which leads us back to the first point. It hasn't happened yet but it will.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Apple needs to improve SIRI's accuracy. I find myself needing to repeat several times - so its quicker to do the task manually.

deja-vu-apple.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.