Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:58 AM   #1
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Audio recording in Bootcamp

Hey there. When I bought my Macbook Pro Retina 15", I tried it with my USB 2.0 audio interface (Presonus 22VSL). It worked so good, I got rid of my dedicated PC. However, since using it more, I'm noticing drops in audio and overall USB issues with this device. I may return the interface and try out a new one, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for troubleshooting the USB on this thing. I've read some articles that mention killing "KBDMGR.EXE" which was reported to cause dropouts, but these are old articles: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...udio+interface

I'm just curious if anyone has anything I can try. I'm sorta desperate at this point since I really banked on this (a potential foolish thing to have done). I've already set the laptop to max performance, disabled sleeping USB, all drivers are up to date from what I can tell. I did do a USB latency test (provided via Presonus' website), and I notice occasional spikes in latency about a minute apart.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

In my experience, DPC (I'm assuming your referring to that) spikes every minute are the WiFi driver searching for access points.

Try disabling your Wireless Adapter while recording - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...etwork-adapter
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:13 PM   #3
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
In my experience, DPC (I'm assuming your referring to that) spikes every minute are the WiFi driver searching for access points.

Try disabling your Wireless Adapter while recording - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...etwork-adapter
I will definitely try that. Thank you! I have another somewhat related question. If I decide to try a different interface, and want to go the firewire route via thunderbolt adapter, will I be potentially subjecting myself to similar spikes?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Audio recording really isn't my thing but I doubt a Firewire adapter would fix the audio dropouts your experiencing, its possible but I doubt it.

Try making a post describing your problem on http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/

Oh and FYI kbdmgr.exe is now called "Bootcamp.exe". The guide you were reading is very old.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

For the firewire idea, I was more thinking that maybe it's on a different IRQ or something. I've also read that USB sends data via packets whereas firewire is a constant stream, or something of that nature. Apparently people report better throughput and lower latency on firewire. I'll try the disabled wireless first (and maybe Bootcamp.exe just for giggles). Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac