Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:16 AM   #251
Towelie1288
macrumors regular

just a heads up for people that wanna play civ 5 on the new imac late 2012 27" with 680mx i got an email from aspyr and its official civ 5 doesnt support the 680mx yet will update soon ----gave no timeframe
Towelie1288 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #252
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie1288 View Post
just a heads up for people that wanna play civ 5 on the new imac late 2012 27" with 680mx i got an email from aspyr and its official civ 5 doesnt support the 680mx yet will update soon ----gave no timeframe
Curious.... did you by any chance download your Civ5 from the Apple Mac App Store? Or was it from the Steam version? (there are differences between the two)
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:47 AM   #253
Towelie1288
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Curious.... did you by any chance download your Civ5 from the Apple Mac App Store? Or was it from the Steam version? (there are differences between the two)
i got it from steam with all expansions packs for like 15 bucks its was a great deal
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:52 PM   #254
Jindra12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
I got it from iTune.
Jindra12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:31 PM   #255
Foxer
macrumors 65816

I have a new iMac i7 with the better GPU. This replaced a 2011 iMac that was also max-ed out.

CIV V plays better on the new machine with graphic options set to the mid-range. On the old machine, I could count on the terrain become a red and white checkerboard after the game got to about the mid-point, and progressively worse as I went on. It still did this on the new machine, but to nowhere near the same extent.

I have both the Steam and Apple store versions, and had the same issues with both. (I bought the App Store version when it came out, hoping that it would resolve the problem, in fact. Obviously, it didn't.)

That said, the game is still very playable IMO on an iMac. And, as was said above, there is always the dreaded Boot Camp option.

Now if I could only find Civ 2 somewhere for OS X.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:11 PM   #256
Towelie1288
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
I have a new iMac i7 with the better GPU. This replaced a 2011 iMac that was also max-ed out.

CIV V plays better on the new machine with graphic options set to the mid-range. On the old machine, I could count on the terrain become a red and white checkerboard after the game got to about the mid-point, and progressively worse as I went on. It still did this on the new machine, but to nowhere near the same extent.

I have both the Steam and Apple store versions, and had the same issues with both. (I bought the App Store version when it came out, hoping that it would resolve the problem, in fact. Obviously, it didn't.)

That said, the game is still very playable IMO on an iMac. And, as was said above, there is always the dreaded Boot Camp option.

i understand what you mean but the issue isn't with the iMac , its the grapic card Civ 5 doesnt support the new 680MX on the new iMac in max settings and it sucks cause it crashes more often now

Last edited by Towelie1288; Jan 18, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:00 PM   #257
Jindra12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxer View Post

Yeah I have same experience as the above said. I couldn't play CIV IV after I played CIV V for few days. I'm hooked to CIV V's features and artworks. I like CIV IV for quick turns.
Jindra12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games