Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I've been trying to figure out if I'm able to play the HBO movies I formatted in MP4 using HB on my MBA and watch them on my p.c. laptop windows 7?

I noticed that each show/episode is opened using VLC player on my MBA, so would I therefore need to download VLC to my pc laptop to watch these shows on my pc or can windows media player play them without issue.

Is there a universal player that will read these episodes for MAC and PC? I'm very curious because I prefer to travel with my pc laptop on the road - the MBA is too heavy. Besides, I won't be in the office 'till next week to test this out. I left my laptop at work.

Thanks guys for your knowledge in this.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
I think pretty much everyone is confused by your... tortured wording.

Think critically about it, maybe even try it yourself. You haven't even given enough information about the files, so no one can help you. In the end, this is a completely ridiculous question anyway, just effin' try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
The MBA is too heavy?

Anyway, .mp4 files using the H.264 and x.264 codec can be played back by VLC Player in Windows.

But then again, you could try it yourself to get an answer.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I think pretty much everyone is confused by your... tortured wording.

Think critically about it, maybe even try it yourself. You haven't even given enough information about the files, so no one can help you. In the end, this is a completely ridiculous question anyway, just effin' try it.

It's all there and indicated MP4 file format. I don't have access to my pc in the office, which I also indicated.

And the question was, if a pc requires VLC to play mp4 formatted movies/shows using Handbrake on a MBA.

----------

The MBA is too heavy?

Anyway, .mp4 files using the H.264 and x.264 codec can be played back by VLC Player in Windows.

But then again, you could try it yourself to get an answer.

Well yes - The MBA is heavier than my Vaio Z at 2.4 lbs. Thanks for your reply. Will windows media player work since it's mp4?

nfilg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
I use vlc on OSx Mountain Lion, windows 7 and 8 no problems with mkvs or mp4 and codecs/update work fine too. Some people I know use gom player or bs player on their windows machines but I think VLC works great on most platforms.
I've Tried vlc on linux ubuntu, windows 7 & 8 and also on Mac Osx Mountain Lion. 10.8.2

Windows
Get VLC for Windows
Mac OS X
Get VLC for Mac OS X
Get VLC for iOS
Sources
You can also directly get the source code.
GNU/Linux
Get VLC for Debian GNU/Linux
Get VLC for Ubuntu
Get VLC for Mint
Get VLC for openSUSE
Get VLC for Gentoo Linux
Get VLC for Fedora
Get VLC for Arch Linux
Get VLC for Slackware Linux
Get VLC for Mandriva Linux
Get VLC for ALT Linux
Get VLC for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Other OS
Get VLC for FreeBSD
Get VLC for NetBSD
Get VLC for OpenBSD
Get VLC for Solaris
Get VLC for Android
Get VLC for QNX
Get VLC for Syllable
Get VLC for OS/2

p.s.
On ipad I use Buzz player for mkv files.

atticus18244fsa

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Waterloo, ON
It's all there and indicated MP4 file format. I don't have access to my pc in the office, which I also indicated.

And the question was, if a pc requires VLC to play mp4 formatted movies/shows using Handbrake on a MBA.

COLOR="#808080"]

----------

[/COLOR]

Well yes - The MBA is heavier than my Vaio Z at 2.4 lbs. Thanks for your reply. Will windows media player work since it's mp4?

VLC is your so called "universal player". Install it on your Windows machine and mp4s will be abled to be played. I somewhat doubt WMP will be able to play mp4s. Oh wait I just googled it like you could have and it can't. End of story.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
You need proper codecs. You can look these up yourself, but I find divx is a good place to start. I usually use VLC or GOM (although it's a personal preference).

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I use vlc on OSx Mountain Lion, windows 7 and 8 no problems with mkvs or mp4 and codecs/update work fine too. Some people I know use gom player or bs player on their windows machines but I think VLC works great on most platforms.
I've Tried vlc on linux ubuntu, windows 7 & 8 and also on Mac Osx Mountain Lion. 10.8.2

Windows
Get VLC for Windows
Mac OS X
Get VLC for Mac OS X
Get VLC for iOS
Sources
You can also directly get the source code.
GNU/Linux
Get VLC for Debian GNU/Linux
Get VLC for Ubuntu
Get VLC for Mint
Get VLC for openSUSE
Get VLC for Gentoo Linux
Get VLC for Fedora
Get VLC for Arch Linux
Get VLC for Slackware Linux
Get VLC for Mandriva Linux
Get VLC for ALT Linux
Get VLC for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Other OS
Get VLC for FreeBSD
Get VLC for NetBSD
Get VLC for OpenBSD
Get VLC for Solaris
Get VLC for Android
Get VLC for QNX
Get VLC for Syllable
Get VLC for OS/2

p.s.
On ipad I use Buzz player for mkv files.

Thanks so much for taking the time. I appreciate it.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
perhaps give us a bit more info on the files so that we can help you better. And also not to be rude but understanding exactly what you wanted us to know about your problem was a bit tough to get out of your post as was said before. could you tell us what settings in HB you used to create the files? the encoding and such...so that we can best give you what you desire.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
VLC is your so called "universal player". Install it on your Windows machine and mp4s will be abled to be played. I somewhat doubt WMP will be able to play mp4s. Oh wait I just googled it like you could have and it can't. End of story.

I didn't google it, but I recall reading somewhere here that VLC may not work. I tried a search, but could not locate it, which is why I posted. It's alright. I'll figure it all out when I get to my office.

----------

perhaps give us a bit more info on the files so that we can help you better. And also not to be rude but understanding exactly what you wanted us to know about your problem was a bit tough to get out of your post as was said before. could you tell us what settings in HB you used to create the files? the encoding and such...so that we can best give you what you desire.

It's okay. Just ignore my request. Appreciate your time. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.