Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
cmclean3
macrumors newbie

OS X Server Home Network Set up Questions

Long time reader first time poster...

I'm in the middle of upgrading our home network PCs to Macs and have a few basic questions.

Firstly i'm planning to purchase a imac or mini mac to serve as the main os x server computer. I'm then going to set up network user log ins with open directory so users can then use a macbook air (or any future macs) to log in to the network and access much larger storage drives connected to the imac/mini mac - mainly for itunes and iphoto libraries since that is the MBAs weakness. i'll also be using server for other features but these are the main questions i have first.

(1) Can the imac or mini thats the server, also be used as a client machine and be logged into using a network log in? Or does the server stay on as a server computer that cant be used as a normal client computer if that makes sense? if it cant it would seem a waste to buy an imac for this purpose.

(2) If the MBA is taken outside of the network (and not in any wifi area) can users log in or do they need local machine logins? If so is there any mac os x feature which then syncs the local log in and the network log in?

(3) lastly can the server computer run plex media server or would a user have to be logged into the server machine as a client to be running this?

thanks in advance for any help
cmclean3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking