Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Yet another antiquated horsepower penis

As I told another poster, these vehicles may not be to your taste, but you have to give credit where credit is due. The Corvette is an amazing sports car. Able to give a driver one of the best driving experiences out there. I may choose to buy a Z06 over a GT-R, but I won't discredit the GT-R. The GT-R is an amazing piece of engineering where the car weighs 3800 lb., only had 485 HP when it debuted( up to 520 HP now I believe), but somehow able to go fast quickly and drive really well. I may choose the ATS over the 3 series, but it doesn't mean the 3 series is still one of the best driving compact sports sedans available.

Just because the owner may be compensating for something, it doesn't mean it takes away from what the car is. BMW drivers may be the biggest jerks in the world, but BMW's are still good vehicles that deliver an amazing driving experience.

Don't take the driver and use them to discredit the car.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Great car. I love the seven speed manual, with one minor quibble: reverse gear should've been placed to the left of 1st gear IMO.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
All well said, and I do like the looks of the car and what they have done with the interior and all, but the heart of the thing is an antiquated gas guzzler. There is no arguing around that.

Yes there is, there isn't a suitable replacement for it. Electric is still an unknown if it is a viable replacement for the ICE( Tesla, Volt, and Leaf shows promise though). Hybrids are overly complex which add weight( not good in a sports car not called the Nissan GT-R).

Turbo 6's, V8's, V10's, etc will remain the choice for sports cars until there is a suitable replacement. What is out there right now are just prospects.

Plus, the sound that the Corvette, Aventador, GT-R, etc makes enhances the experience of the vehicle. Electrics can't match that. :p

Last edited:

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
LOL, my S40 R-Design AWD gets 31.4MPG with a Turbocharged 5 cylinder and with the PoleStar engine management package and stiffer suspension I regularly leave American Muscle freaks in the dust. Because there is a big problem with those cars.

1. on anything but a perfectly dry racetrack those things spin/burn out like there's no tomorrow.
2. The people that drive them often don't have a ****ing clue how to do it properly.

A Camaro 1LE would rape you around the track... The ignorance

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I wonder if the new season of Top Gear on BBC starting shortly will have any comments on the new Corvette?

In the past, they have been disparaging at best.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Real world relevance? I said in my earlier post that these cars may be great on a dry summer day on a race track. On the streets of New Jersey? Good luck buddy. I regularly leave the muscle freaks with spinning wheels and way to low suspension hanging way back. The only thing these penises are good for is straight half-miles on a pristine dry racetrack.

The Camaro 1LE handles pretty well hence why he said around the track. Same with the Mustang GT with the track pack. They are not the best handlers in the world, but they are not the 1/4 mile muscle cars of old.....

Plus your car is AWD so yes in snow and wet conditions, your car will have better grip due to power going to all 4 wheels compared to RWD vehicles like the 'Vette, Camaro, and Mustang. Doesn't necessarily mean your car is better though.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Real world relevance? I said in my earlier post that these cars may be great on a dry summer day on a race track. On the streets of New Jersey? Good luck buddy. I regularly leave the muscle freaks with spinning wheels and way to low suspension hanging way back. The only thing these penises are good for is straight half-miles on a pristine dry racetrack.

A Camaro or Mustang maybe, but the Vette is actually very good bang for the buck around a track.

I agree, real world application it might not be that great for you. However, for someone that likes it as a hobby, maybe going out on a weekend and throwing it around some back roads is how they have fun?

As someone who has owned a bunch of sports cars and will always own sports cars I can say that I don't buy them, because of them being efficient. Heck, in downtown Chicago its more of a hassle to own a car period.......but as a hobby and on weekends they are a lot of fun.

----------

I wonder if the new season of Top Gear on BBC starting shortly will have any comments on the new Corvette?

In the past, they have been disparaging at best.

Yeah, they are pretty rough on the American companies mostly because of HP/liter.........but the z06 although they made some comments of it still being a pushrod were pretty complimentary of its performance vs cost of the cars it held its own against or beat.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yeah, they are pretty rough on the American companies mostly because of hp/litre

"Americans have no idea how to extract real power from an engine, so they make them huge in the hope that you won't notice"

Clarkson isn't subtle, but he's often funny - and this from a committed "enviro-mentalist".

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia

MotorTrend took the 1LE to the track, and gave the keys to pro drive Randy Pobst and just listens to what he has to say

Link

And to your comment about wheel spin, its 2013, The Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger Hook very well!

"Americans have no idea how to extract real power from an engine, so they make them huge in the hope that you won't notice"

GM's Small block LS7 V8 at 7 liters is 3x smaller than AMG's 6.2 liter V8... Clarkson is an idiot

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004

Clarkson isn't subtle, but he's often funny - and this from a committed "enviro-mentalist".

The shows anti-American stance is entertaining, but I wish people would stop using it as an objective evaluation of a car.......

This is the show where they bashed the GT500 because it made 440 wHP...... They obviously did that for entertainment value as I am sure they know power is lost during the transfer between the engine and the wheels. If Top Gear was objective, they wouldn't have done that.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

Yes, I love Clarkson! A lot of his stuff is tongue in cheek, so it isn't really meant to be offensive.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
The shows anti-American stance is entertaining, but I wish people would stop using it as an objective evaluation of a car.......

This is the show where they bashed the GT500 because it made 440 wHP...... They obviously did that for entertainment value as I am sure they know power is lost during the transfer between the engine and the wheels. If Top Gear was objective, they wouldn't have done that.

I wish Ford would get off there high horses:rolleyes: and take the GT500 to the Ring... There would be a lot of quiet people

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I wish Ford would get off there high horses:rolleyes: and take the GT500 to the Ring... There would be a lot of quiet people

The GT500 can't handle the 'Ring. The brakes would fail/catch fire about half way into the first lap. :D :p

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
The only thing these penises are good for

In my many years of driving sports/GT cars, I've come across a lot of folks that like to disparage the cars (and their owners) by equating them to mid-life crisis machines, or the owners are compensating for something, or... well whatever.

Basically it just means you can't afford it. Right?

is straight half-miles on a pristine dry racetrack.

Glad you think that. I normally tear up a local race track which has 10 turns (left and right), goes up hill and down, short straights and long ones, etc. But I guess my car is only good for straight lines, huh?

jas

----------

There would be a lot of quiet people

Yeah, and most of them would be Ford people. ;)

jas

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
LOL.. I forgot the GT500 had suck brakes, well I haven't driven both yet but the Camaro ZL1 supposedly handles better. The ZL1 lapped the ring in 7:41.27

Yeah, pretty much every review has the ZL1 being faster around the track despite the huge power advantage to the GT500.

Here is one segment of C&D's lightning lap. The ZL1 easily beat the GT500 around the track( the GT500's time is listed at the end of the video).

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
In my many years of driving sports/GT cars, I've come across a lot of folks that like to disparage the cars (and their owners) by equating them to mid-life crisis machines, or the owners are compensating for something, or... well whatever.

Basically it just means you can't afford it. Right?

Oh so true.........I've found that the people who talk to me about my cars either love them and are car enthusiasts, or just people who are bitter. There will always be people trying to rain on other people's parades.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, pretty much every review has the ZL1 being faster around the track despite the huge power advantage to the GT500.

Here is one segment of C&D's lightning lap. The ZL1 easily beat the GT500 around the track( the GT500's time is listed at the end of the video).

YouTube: video

Camaro 1le and Zl1... Faster around the track than a , M3, M5, Audi S6, C63 Black series.., Boxters S, 911 S

What happened to the gossip about American cars that can't handle around the track?? :confused:

:D:cool:

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Afford? Sure I can afford it. But I prefer to spend my money on business class flights to Bora Bora or Maui before I waste it on a car with zero practical value, especially here in New Jersey. That being said, once the S40 hits it the end of it's warranty and/or I moved on to my next job in AP, I am in the market for a car that's actually more expensive, a Tesla S Performance.

I'll be sure to give you a jump when you run out of juice lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.