Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
spenser
macrumors newbie

How to stream music wirelessly

I recently purchased a surround system sound bar for my dorm room in order to have a better gaming and music experience. I purchased a soundbar that didn't have the capability to stream with bluetooth, and I am now finding that that is a key feature I would like to employ.

My question is this, is there any way that I can use the Apple Airport express (or any other product) to stream music from my iphone/mac to the soundbar. The input to the sound bar is via a line in/auxiliary cord. My school has a campus wide wifi network.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to let me know if you need any clarifying questions. All suggestions welcome.
spenser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

You should be able to connect your AirPort Express to the soundbar and play iTunes music via AirPlay.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3
d21mike
macrumors 68020

If the Sound Bar is connected to a TV, why not use an AppleTV since I believe it is around the same cost. However, the Express does allow you to create a local Wifi network as well if you have Ethernet Cable to your room.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
spenser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
If the Sound Bar is connected to a TV, why not use an AppleTV since I believe it is around the same cost. However, the Express does allow you to create a local Wifi network as well if you have Ethernet Cable to your room.
The sound bar actually isn't connected to the TV because my LG doesn't have any output ports– strange, I know–
Its wired to my xbox 360 and my phone currently.
spenser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenser View Post
The sound bar actually isn't connected to the TV because my LG doesn't have any output ports– strange, I know–
Airport express will suit you or check ebay there are plenty of Bluetooth receivers that will add bt to your soundbar.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:18 PM   #6
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I recently purchased a surround system sound bar for my dorm room in order to have a better gaming and music experience. I purchased a soundbar that didn't have the capability to stream with bluetooth, and I am now finding that that is a key feature I would like to employ.

My question is this, is there any way that I can use the Apple Airport express (or any other product) to stream music from my iphone/mac to the soundbar. The input to the sound bar is via a line in/auxiliary cord. My school has a campus wide wifi network.

Thanks for the help. Feel free to let me know if you need any clarifying questions. All suggestions welcome.
If you don't think you need the additional network features of the Airport Express, definitely go with the Apple TV. Then you have the additional benefit of streaming movies/videos, as well as music, for the same price.

BTW - what model is your LG TV?
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Or this for $25 from Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492T...music+receiver

This is what I have at my house for all of my Android Friends to use to play music through my Receivers. It also works on any iOS device. Haven't tried it with computers because any of my Macs just use airplay to my AppleTV's and/or Airport Expresses.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater