Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:52 PM   #51
daneoni
macrumors G4

I thought Apple was dead now that Steve is no more.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:52 PM   #52
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
You need to learn to read the news. Nobody expected a loss for Apple in Q4. Most expected poor quarter and this is exactly what happened. AAPL is $490 (-$24) right now in after hours. The profits were essentially flat compared to year ago reflecting shrinking profit margins. Expect APPL to continue going down from here.
Did you catch the fact that they had 14 weeks in fiscal Q1 last year and 13 weeks in fiscal Q1 this year? If you break it down by week they saw a 14% increase in profit year-over-year.
BC2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #53
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelink View Post
I cannot believe that after buying my stock at $100 its now worth over $15,000 and will soon be over $65,000! I hope these guys are right. This has got to be one of the best days ever!
Better sell quick before it goes back to $100.
AbyssImpact is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #54
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Wow; I'm frankly surprised at the news. Considering all the misinformation leading up to the Q1 results I was expecting for Apple to report a slight loss.

Keep up the great work Apple!
You must not be good at finance then. Where did you get that idea?!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #55
thelink
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaJuve View Post
Nice! Now let the stock get back to $700+; heck, even to $1000 would be fine.
Dude! It's over $15,000 right now! This is a time to celebrate!!! Woohoo!! ^_^
thelink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #56
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost187 View Post
What tha heck do you people even expect? A 100million iPhones every quarter? 47 Million is awesome.

It's not us that expect 100 million iPhone sales but these idiot analysts with their bloated expectations.

I'm one who realizes that Apple is still profitable whether they sell 47 or 45 or 60 million iPhones.
iMikeT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #57
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKaye View Post
CPU Net Sales at 10% - anyone have end over end statistics on this for the past decade? I remember the transition from "Apple Computer" to "Apple, Inc." and everyone's predictions that Apple computers of any kind were slowly going to die out. This seems to be shaping up to be true (especially now that the XSan and XServe are gone, however insubstantial their sales were, and the ever-pending Mac Pro update), even though Mac OS is about 12% market share. Death Knell for Apple CPU products, or business as usual nowadays in a highly diversified company with significant lock-in on several market verticals?
It's not as bad as you think.

All it's saying is that 10% of their revenue comes from Macs. It's just one product division. And it's still profitable.

Plus... people really like Macs. And it's the most profitable computer on the planet. You also need a Mac to code iOS apps.

That last reason alone is the reason they can't cancel the Mac.
Michael Scrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #58
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
The issue is that most of these analysts aren't qualified to be setting these #s or projections...in fact the only one setting guidance should be Apple.
Right. Then please explain why Apple's actual results quarter after quarter are much closer to analysts projections than their own? Nobody cares about Apple's own projections (well, obviously analysts take a look at them). This is true for all companies but especially for Apple which is known for low balling their projections (to make an impression with actual results). Nobody gets fooled by this game anymore.
lilo777 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #59
mjoshi123
macrumors 6502

And aftermarket share tanks 5% ....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #60
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This is the basic issue.

Apple didn't miss anything..in fact they beat their guidance which should be what matters along with increased profits and revenues..which were both up.

Meanwhile Google missed on their guidance and the stock went up. Meanwhile Apple makes theirs and it's down...

Just proves the market is manipulated.
I own Apple stock so I feel your pain.
The thing is, the closing price of $515 earlier today was a gain in anticipation of beating expectations. After Verizon gave their numbers, it gave AAPL hope. So it was priced higher to anticipate a beat, and would have gone even higher had it exceeded analyst expectations.

It missed, so it lost what was gained in anticipation, and then some.

Bottom line is, the stock price is priced for analyst expectations and rumor, not Apple's expectation and guidance. It's just the game and I suck at it for not selling at $700

It is too bad that expectations are so high, but it is understandable if they are (were?) the most valuable company in the world based on market cap. It is hard to keep momentum going.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #61
MyMacintosh
macrumors member

Quote:
The issue is that most of these analysts aren't qualified to be setting these #s or projections...in fact the only one setting guidance should be Apple.
who says they aren't qualified?
MyMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #62
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Say what you will, but the professional analysts were right!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #63
mackinmike
macrumors regular

There's no exciting product pipeline for 2013. Expect the stock to go down from here. It's the same old thing.
mackinmike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:56 PM   #64
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
Did you catch the fact that they had 14 weeks in fiscal Q1 last year and 13 weeks in fiscal Q1 this year? If you break it down by week they saw a 14% increase in profit year-over-year.
Analysts obviously knew the 14/13 discrepancy and planned accordingly. So the fact remains: AAPL missed expectations and is going down.
lilo777 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:56 PM   #65
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethana View Post
Stock is down because of this age old saying people:

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

Ethan
Except in this case they sold on the rumor and then sold again on the news.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:56 PM   #66
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
compared to 13.06 billion profit last year same time

if you really think best buy and other retailers are taking a hit on the iphone discounts you are naive
Eh yes they were, larger revenue this year, yet almost the same profit. Wall street wants to see growth year on year not stagnation.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:56 PM   #67
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

iPod sales being down YoY, isn't that much of a surprise, but the lower iMac sales was perhaps unexpected. I wonder if supply constraints of the new iMacs hadn't been an issue, if that could have resulted in YoY growth?

Even though we're used to/numbed by, and even expecting, these kinds of overall growth figures, they are very respectable nevertheless.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #68
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
iPod sales being down YoY, isn't that much of a surprise, but the lower iMac sales was perhaps unexpected. I wonder if supply constraints of the new iMacs hadn't been an issue, if that could have resulted in YoY growth?

Even though we're used to/numbed by, and even expecting, these kinds of overall growth figures, they are very respectable nevertheless.
iPad sales gotta be delaying/cannibalizing the sales of the imacs
unlimitedx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:57 PM   #69
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This is the basic issue.

Apple didn't miss anything..in fact they beat their guidance which should be what matters along with increased profits and revenues..which were both up.

Meanwhile Google missed on their guidance and the stock went up. Meanwhile Apple makes theirs and it's down...

Just proves the market is manipulated.
Isn't guidance just a form of stock manipulation anyway?
unlinked is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #70
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinmike View Post
There's no exciting product pipeline for 2013. Expect the stock to go down from here. It's the same old thing.
I'd wait a few weeks before believing that.

Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:00 PM   #71
bpfesq
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by damir00 View Post
Year over year decline in earnings.

Apple is in no danger of going bankrupt, but the bloom is clearly off the rose.
Right. People need to come to terms with the fact that Apple has shifted from a growth company to a mature company.
bpfesq is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:00 PM   #72
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream View Post
Eh yes they were, larger revenue this year, yet almost the same profit. Wall street wants to see growth year on year not stagnation.
Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.
lilo777 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:00 PM   #73
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post

It's not us that expect 100 million iPhone sales but these idiot analysts with their bloated expectations.

I'm one who realizes that Apple is still profitable whether they sell 47 or 45 or 60 million iPhones.
Exactly.

Apple is profitable... and that's what keeps a company in business.

It's not what spot they occupy on a market share chart of ALL companies or platforms...

It's how they handle their OWN day to day operations.

Apple is only doomed the day they cannot pay their rent. Fortunately... I'll never see that day in my lifetime.
Michael Scrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:01 PM   #74
HiRez
macrumors 601

As usual, record earnings for AAPL = stock gets hammered. Meanwhile, companies on life support with mounting quarterly losses get pumped up. The stock market makes no sense at all anymore, I'm getting out first opportunity I get.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:01 PM   #75
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.
Already done.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.
Peace is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion