Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #76
duffmanth
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Wow I'm surprised how Mac sales dropped considering the introduction of the retina Macbooks and new iMacs.
I'm not surprised about Mac sales dropping off, the whole PC market is dropping off. There's only a very small segment of the population that's going to pay $2000+ for a laptop anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #77
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

itunes store rev is up quite a bit even with that horrible app store change that came with ios6. Looks like we are stuck with it for a while =(.

TouchMint.com is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #78
devinher
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
75 million iOS devices in one quarter. Dayum.

Gross margins taking a hit -- is that due primarily to the Mini? If so, Cook was right to price it where he did.
Cook prepared everyone for the drop in margin, at least in part, by describing how margins on new products are lower until later in their life cycle. With Apple launching more new products than in any quarter in their history, they expected a hit to margins.

Any deterioration in margin, particularly of this size, is going to freak people out but it needs to be seen in context.
devinher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:03 PM   #79
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Already done.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.
That's not an increase. It's been 2.65 from the start.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:03 PM   #80
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

My poor AAPL stock. Whyyyy didn't I sell at $700, sigh.

I think the answer here is pretty obvious to most of us. iOS has stagnated. Apple thought they could float by with a few iterative improvements in the iOS within a five-year span, while beating off competition with patent lawsuits.

The reality is that those lawsuits have mostly failed, the present and future is becoming more about Big Data than Shiny Hardware, and Android has become "good enough" for most people. iOS by comparison looks and feels very last-decade. Smaller factors include Apple taking their eye off the Mac pro market, and increased competition in the music space from streaming services like Spotify.

I think Ive can help turn things around on the OS front, but how long will that take? The bigger question is, when will Apple get serious about data services? When will they fix iCloud, when will they start putting heavy R&D into data like mapping, geolocation, Siri advancements, etc? The current Apple looks to be treading water.
petsounds is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:04 PM   #81
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
I never said they were increasing it. Just pointing out the dividend has been declared.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:04 PM   #82
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.
$2.65 per share payable on Feb 14.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:04 PM   #83
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishake View Post
Ouch. For a regular company this would be great, but Apple used to be far from the norm.

The simple fact is they are no longer creating the trend, but trying to keep up with it. It's simple, they need to step their game up. Samsung is killing them.

Apple USED to have the best Ads.
Apple USED to have the best OS, iOS.
Apple USED to have the best phone.
Apple USED to have the best innovation.

This is no longer the case. Straighten up fellas, begin acting like you're part of the company Steve Jobs resurrected.
I believe in iOS 7 and future iOS products
Bahroo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:04 PM   #84
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Already done.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.
That's not enough. Roughly $2.65 * 4 quarters / $500 (AAPL price) = 2.12% annual dividend. Other tech companies (like Intel) pay more (around 4%).
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:05 PM   #85
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

anyone having problems with the audio stream?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:05 PM   #86
lazard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I never said they were increasing it. Just pointing out the dividend has been declared.
they declare a dividend every quarter...
lazard is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:05 PM   #87
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
I think Ive can help turn things around on the OS front, but how long will that take? The bigger question is, when will Apple get serious about data services? When will they fix iCloud, when will they start putting heavy R&D into data like mapping, geolocation, Siri advancements, etc? The current Apple looks to be treading water.
Agreed. iCloud is where it was 1.5 years ago. It still sucks when it comes to file syncing. It's hard to use for both users and developers. Every iPad is basically worthless without Dropbox... That tells us a lot.
TC03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:06 PM   #88
Ccwk
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I think the answer here is pretty obvious to most of us. iOS has stagnated. Apple thought they could float by with a few iterative improvements in the iOS within a five-year span, while beating off competition with patent lawsuits.

The reality is that those lawsuits have mostly failed, the present and future is becoming more about Big Data than Shiny Hardware, and Android has become "good enough" for most people. iOS by comparison looks and feels very last-decade. Smaller factors include Apple taking their eye off the Mac pro market, and increased competition in the music space from streaming services like Spotify.

This is someone that gets it, very good insight.
Ccwk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:06 PM   #89
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflender View Post

Imac was unavailable for most of the quarter.
Does the old saying "laptops outsell desktops" still apply?

I'd reckon more people are buying laptops anyway.

Has Apple ever broken down Mac sales between Macbooks and iMacs?
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:06 PM   #90
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Because AAPL "missed" analyst expectations.

Tell me this, AMD closed +11% after reporting deep loses yesterday, go figure...
do you people really not get it?

let's see, AMD with deep losses BUT far smaller than expected: stock up

Google with negligible YOY profit increase BUT significant slowing of decline in ad sales: Stock up

Apple with best quarter ever BUT decline in EPS and significant increase in costs: Stock down.

If you want to actually try to understand the situation, it makes perfect sense
you people smh is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #91
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.
Quote:
Already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's not enough. Roughly $2.65 * 4 quarters / $500 (AAPL price) = 2.12% annual dividend. Other tech companies (like Intel) pay more (around 4%).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
they declare a dividend every quarter...
Don't shoot the messenger.

Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #92
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm with you there. My girlfriend urged me to sell at $700 and, well, here we are.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:07 PM   #93
crazytrain
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Tell me this, AMD closed +11% after reporting deep loses yesterday, go figure...
With those losses, AMD is a target for takeover, hence people buy the stock, hence the price increases...
crazytrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:08 PM   #94
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger.

Don't worry - all of these people (including myself) probably own Apple stock. It is just frustration being let out.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:08 PM   #95
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Analysts obviously knew the 14/13 discrepancy and planned accordingly. So the fact remains: AAPL missed expectations and is going down.
It's their best quarter ever. Apple hit their guidance. These "experts" over-predicted - which says more about them as experts than Apple, and says a lot about how much manipulation goes on in the market.

It's amazing how people manage to turn their best quarter ever into a negative.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:08 PM   #96
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple sold 4.1 million Macintosh computers, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago period
minus 20% Mac sales

ouch

way below even the most pessimistic expectations, and definitely worse than the PC market
Speedy2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:08 PM   #97
racer1441
macrumors 68000

So, when will the SEC investigation begin on all the people manipulating the stock price with bogus stories the last few weeks?
racer1441 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:09 PM   #98
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Does the old saying "laptops outsell desktops" still apply?

I'd reckon more people are buying laptops anyway.

Has Apple ever broken down Mac sales between Macbooks and iMacs?
First quarter they didn't break down desktop vs laptop sales in as long as I can remember.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:09 PM   #99
lilo777
Banned

Time to change stock symbol from APPL to POS. POS is still available (I just checked)
lilo777 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:10 PM   #100
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
do you people really not get it?

let's see, AMD with deep losses BUT far smaller than expected: stock up

Google with negligible YOY profit increase BUT significant slowing of decline in ad sales: Stock up

Apple with best quarter ever BUT decline in EPS and significant increase in costs: Stock down.

If you want to actually try to understand the situation, it makes perfect sense
Get out of here with your logic!
Everyone is just bummed about the stock they own dropping. Denial, and disbelief. Look for acceptance early next week I own it too and decided to get over it already, it's reality.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion