Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
You need to learn to read the news. Nobody expected a loss for Apple in Q4. Most expected poor quarter and this is exactly what happened. AAPL is $490 (-$24) right now in after hours. The profits were essentially flat compared to year ago reflecting shrinking profit margins. Expect APPL to continue going down from here.

Sarcasm!

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
The "miss" came from the inability of Apple to ship the newest iMacs. The CPU sales of taking orders

It is really, really stupid for them to launch products in December, especially when they cannot crank out 1 million units. Mid-October should be the latest they have new products, and they should not take orders until they can ship the first 500,000 units of anything in 24 hours. It is a logistical failing, not a technological one.

The silver lining is that if you decide to buy a Mac and they are not available... you wait. In the PC world if you want to buy one and it is not available, you just go buy another brand with no love loss. So sales were delayed, they were not lost.

I ordered a 27" Fusion iMac on December 4th. I just had it delivered today. That sort of delay is inexcusable.

As for the valuations, I am stumped. A P/E of sub-11 makes no sense at all, and $130+ billion in the bank means the cash value of a share is about $128, or about 26% of the stock price. A solid dividend and record sales and ALL the negative iPhone and iPad predictions of the last month were disproved with this report.

I think there needs to be more personality presented by Apple, but only after they can give the logistical fulfillment of their newest products. That was the most disappointing thing.

The valuation plummet actually doesn't make any fiscal or analytical sense.

Good post.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I wouldn't touch the stock market with a ten foot pole. Or at this rate, a Galaxy Note 4. When wild rumors and analyst speculation command share prices like this, you might as well go play poker.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I'm with you there. My girlfriend urged me to sell at $700 and, well, here we are. :eek:

Wait for it to bottom and buy some more so you'll average down. It's absolutely ridiculous that the stock is getting hit the way it is when Apple reports a record quarter even if margins are a bit down because Apple's margins are still so large, it's almost absurd.

And even though Mac sales were down, they were more than made up for by iPad sales. The market should be rewarding Apple for developing the iPad so they cannibalize themselves instead of someone else cannibalizing them. It makes perfect sense for many people to use a Pad instead of a computer if they don't do intensive work on it.

$54.5 billion in revenue, $13.1 billion in profit, no debt, supposedly around $160 billion in cash by mid-year and now paying a dividend and the stock goes down 6% (so far)? Unbelievable.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
First quarter they didn't break down desktop vs laptop sales in as long as I can remember.

Ah... I see.

Well if the iMac sales actully did look bad on paper... then I can see why they'd omit them.

I'm sure iMac sales will pick up when people can actually buy them then :)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Wow; I'm frankly surprised at the news. Considering all the misinformation leading up to the Q1 results I was expecting for Apple to report a slight loss.

Keep up the great work Apple!

There's no way Apple would have had a loss. Wall Street expects growth. If they made less profit this quarter than last it would be a huge upset. If they took a loss, Wall Street would flip.

I'd have been shocked if this was anything but their best ever. Every quarter is always bigger than the last.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Wait for it to bottom and buy some more so you'll average down. It's absolutely ridiculous that the stock is getting hit the way it is when Apple reports a record quarter even if margins are a bit down because Apple's margins are still so large, it's almost absurd.

And even though Mac sales were down, they were more than made up for by iPad sales. The market should be rewarding Apple for developing the iPad so they cannibalize themselves instead of someone else cannibalizing them. It makes perfect sense for many people to use a Pad instead of a computer if they don't do intensive work on it.

$54.5 billion in revenue, $13.1 billion in profit, no debt, supposedly around $160 billion in cash by mid-year and now paying a dividend and the stock goes down 6% (so far)? Unbelievable.

disappointing guidance by Oppenheimer.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I wouldn't touch the stock market with a ten foot pole. Or at this rate, a Galaxy Note 4. When wild rumors and analyst speculation command share prices like this, you might as well go play poker.

Bad comparison. Poker is a game that demands risk management strategies and actually tests skill rather well, with top players winning consistently.

Should've said Black Jack.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
It's not us that expect 100 million iPhone sales but these idiot analysts with their bloated expectations.

I'm one who realizes that Apple is still profitable whether they sell 47 or 45 or 60 million iPhones.

Do you realise it is the same "idiot analysts" and their commentary that drove the stock to $700+? The price of any stock is driven by future expectations, bloated or otherwisei I suspect the main reason for the drop is the significant fall in gross margins. If the guidance from Apple for a 20% drop in Q2 revenues with lower GM, then earnings are forecast to drop quite significantly (still Stella by any other measure, but low by "Apple" standards)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
As for the valuations, I am stumped. A P/E of sub-11 makes no sense at all, and $130+ billion in the bank means the cash value of a share is about $128, or about 26% of the stock price. A solid dividend and record sales and ALL the negative iPhone and iPad predictions of the last month were disproved with this report.

The valuation plummet actually doesn't make any fiscal or analytical sense.

Welcome to AAPL. Those of us who are in long have seen this again and again. And again.

The wise move is to remain calm and hold (or buy on the dip). The stock always rebounds. The P/E is absurd (look at AMZN - yikes!) and Apple is still printing money. I fully expect to see $700 again, and beyond. Apple is no Microsoft. There is still plenty of market left to conquer and massive opportunity. Apple is still a minority player.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
What a surprise

Déjà Déjà Déjà vu Maybe next year they will die.

^ This is whats going to be said for years to come, just like it has for the last few years. Come one people Apple isn't going anywhere any time soon.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It's their best quarter ever. Apple hit their guidance. These "experts" over-predicted - which says more about them as experts than Apple, and says a lot about how much manipulation goes on in the market.

It's amazing how people manage to turn their best quarter ever into a negative.

Guys stop with this nonsense.

Apple's own guidance for Q4 (their fiscal Q1) quarter was $52 billion.
Market estimates were $54.73 billion.
Actual sales - $54.5 billion.

So, Apple guidance was way off. One might say that Apple's management are simply idiots.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Agreed. iCloud is where it was 1.5 years ago. It still sucks when it comes to file syncing. It's hard to use for both users and developers. Every iPad is basically worthless without Dropbox... That tells us a lot.

I have three iphones, two ipads, and a Mac Mini in my household all syncing through icloud....perfectly. In fact, icloud was the main reason I bought the mac (ditching a servicable W7 PC) and I couldn't be happier.

What issues are you having?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

When I see that pie chart I am very concerned, 56% of revenue is iphone (and probobly greater share of profits) and that is arguably their most vulnerable product at this point. ipads, ipods don't really have any great competitors imo, macs have their own following and aren't a huge share of revenue, but iphone is in a super competitive marketplace which is getting more and more brutal by the day, iphone 5 isn't really as inspired as I think it should have been and despite good sales I am concerned that this portion of their business is highly vulnerable in the near future. Guess we will see how it goes, sold my stock the other and and bought RIMM lol (hoping I can ride a little wave and then dump it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.