Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBubba

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks again.

Which card are you looking at specifically? Are you sure it has a TDP of 225W or less if it has 2 8-pin power connectors? If so, then sure, that seems like a perfectly fine way to make the card work.

I haven't had a proper look yet, I was just wondering in case I came across one. Probably Evga, but they are ugly and I can't stand gamer decals, not that it matters. The Gainward Phantom is a monolith.

Thanks for the response.
Just to make sure, TDP would be listed as Maximum Power Draw on most sites, or do I have to look specifically for the TDP spec?

Is that correct?

Many thanks.

linusmars

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
Dear sirs,

Today received ASUS GTX670 DC2 2DGD5.

I have mac pro 5,1 and ML 10.8.2 + driver 304.00.05f02 (as described on first post) but WHITE SCREEN.

I tried to boot the second HD with ML 10.8 + no driver installed
WHITE SCREEN.

PLEASE help me!!!!! any suggestion?

THANK YOU

Dillo2

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
GTX 660 Ti card kernel panic & won't boot

Asgorath:

I apologize for such a long post, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible on the first contact attempt.

I have a Apple MacPro 4,1 (not a Hackintosh) in which I have a stock GT120 graphics card. I recently upgraded Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I had previously attempted to make a GT 440 card work on Snow Leopard but had given up.

After the upgrade to Mountain Lion, I purchased a GTX 660 Ti card that I am attempting to install in slot 2 with the external power jumpers along with my GT120 card in slot 1. I have also tried reversing the cards with the same result. My monitor is connected to the GT120 card.

No matter what slot I install the card in, I get a kernel panic when I boot and the GT120 goes to sleep. I can only get the system to restart by removing the GTX 660 Ti card.

I have added the GTX 660 Ti to the cuda_supported_cards.txt as recommended prior to installing the CUDA drivers, which are:

CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.37
GPU Driver Version: 1.3.4.0 (304.00.05f02)

cuda_supported_cards.txt contents

GeForce GTX 660 Ti
GeForce GTX 670
GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GTX 690
Quadro CX
Quadro FX 3700M
Quadro FX 3800
Quadro FX 3800M
Quadro FX 4800

raytracer_supported_cards.txt contents

GeForce GTX 285
GeForce GT 650M
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Quadro CX
Quadro FX 4800
Quadro 4000

My GTX 660 Ti (which I purchased before reading this thread) has 3 gB of memory and I have performed the Netkas mod to open up the OpenCL memory (after backing up the original file).

Open the OpenCL file with a Hex editor and search for the following hex string:

find ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 73 e7
replace with ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 90 90

I have the following MacPro

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07

PCI Card Info from System Profiler with only the GT120 installed. I remember changing a kext file several months ago during the failed attempt to make the GT 440 work on Snow Leopard but I did not document the change or backup the file (shame on me).

GT440:

Name: NVDA,Display-B
Type: Display Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
MSI: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-1
Vendor ID: 0x10de
Device ID: 0x0640
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x106b
Subsystem ID: 0x0010
ROM Revision: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2
Revision ID: 0x00a1
Link Width: x16
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

With only the GT120 Card installed

The Adobe Premiere GPUSniffer reports the following:

2013-01-24 13:52:50.201 GPUSniffer[29576:707] invalid drawable
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.1.0
GLSL Version: 1.20
Monitors: 1
Monitor 0 properties -
Size: (0, 0, 1920, 1200)
Max texture size: 8192
Supports non-power of two: 1
Shaders 444: 1
Shaders 422: 1
Shaders 420: 1

--- GPU Computation Info ---
Found 2 devices supporting GPU computation.
CUDA Device 0 -
Name: GeForce GT 120
Capability: 1.1
Driver: 5
Total Video Memory: 511MB
Not chosen because of insufficient video memory.
OpenCL Device 1 -
Name: GeForce GT 120
Capability: 1.2
Driver: 1
Total Video Memory: 512MB
Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards

The Adobe After Effects GPUSniffer reports the following:

Texture memory: 512
Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 OpenGL Engine
Version string: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.1.0
OpenGL Version: 2.1
Has NPOT support: TRUE
Has Framebuffer Object Extension support: TRUE
Has Shading Language support: TRUE
Started compilation of GLSL shaders
Successfully finished compilation of GLSL shaders
Ignoring SM4.0 check for cards on mac
Return code: 3

I am not quite sure why this is now returning an exit code of 3.

I am of the opinion that the fact that the GT 440 is being reported is likely the problem but I don't know where to start to resolve the problem.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.37
GPU Driver Version: 1.3.4.0 (304.00.05f02)

Did you actually install 304.00.05f02? There's a link in the OP to the latest NVIDIA driver for 10.8.2, which you should install in addition to the latest CUDA driver. Remember, the graphics drivers and CUDA driver are separate packages, and you should install both.

Dillo2

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Did you actually install 304.00.05f02? There's a link in the OP to the latest NVIDIA driver for 10.8.2, which you should install in addition to the latest CUDA driver. Remember, the graphics drivers and CUDA driver are separate packages, and you should install both.

Yes, I did, but I went to the link in the OP as suggested, downloaded the driver again, installed it again, and rebooted the system.

Same results.

The file, BTW, was identical to the one I had downloaded and installed earlier today.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, I did, but I went to the link in the OP as suggested, downloaded the driver again, installed it again, and rebooted the system.

Same results.

The file, BTW, was identical to the one I had downloaded and installed earlier today.

Okay, it wasn't clear from your original post which graphics driver you were running. Do you have access to the 10.8.3 seed builds? The 660 Ti might be new enough that the 10.8.2 NVIDIA driver doesn't fully support the card, I don't know.

Dillo2

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Okay, it wasn't clear from your original post which graphics driver you were running. Do you have access to the 10.8.3 seed builds? The 660 Ti might be new enough that the 10.8.2 NVIDIA driver doesn't fully support the card, I don't know.

Sorry I was not clear about that. Others have reported success using the latest drivers that I am using. I don't don't have access to the 10.8.3 seed builds as far as I know.

Neanderphil

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006

I am currently running an EVGA 660ti Signature 2 FTW edition in my 2009 mac pro running 10.8.2 with the latest nvidia drivers. The card connects using 2x6pin and I have it installed in slot 1 (the double width slot) Works great in osx and windows 7, I have encountered no issues at all, primary use is for gaming in both osx and windows.

Dillo2

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
I am currently running an EVGA 660ti Signature 2 FTW edition in my 2009 mac pro running 10.8.2 with the latest nvidia drivers. The card connects using 2x6pin and I have it installed in slot 1 (the double width slot) Works great in osx and windows 7, I have encountered no issues at all, primary use is for gaming in both osx and windows.

Thanks for the response.

Do you have the original card installed in another slot or are you running with just the GTX 660 Ti?

I think my problem is related to an earlier failed attempt to make a GT 440 work on Snow Leopard, but I don't have a clue how to fix the problem. I am presuming one of the kext files I altered (without keeping a record of what I did) is the problem. My system is also a 2009 8-core Mac Pro.

Over the weekend, I will be installing the same card in a friend's Mac Pro so perhaps I can review the process on his system.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, might be worth trying a fresh install rather than an upgrade from 10.6.8.

Neanderphil

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for the response.

Do you have the original card installed in another slot or are you running with just the GTX 660 Ti?

I think my problem is related to an earlier failed attempt to make a GT 440 work on Snow Leopard, but I don't have a clue how to fix the problem. I am presuming one of the kext files I altered (without keeping a record of what I did) is the problem. My system is also a 2009 8-core Mac Pro.

Over the weekend, I will be installing the same card in a friend's Mac Pro so perhaps I can review the process on his system.

I am currently running with only the 660ti. I previously had the 4870 installed. I still have the 4870 stored safely if I ever need the EFI boot screen/safe mode.

linusmars

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
Upgrade.

RE-Install OSX 10.8 and everything work...

Upgraded to 10.8.2 and all goes so good... SOLVED!!! :)

funkahdafi

Suspended
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Workaround for problems with Parallels/Fusion

Hi,

some of us were having problems with virtulisation (Parallels, VMware Fusion etc.) after installing nVidia cards. Virtual machines would crash when 3D acceleration was enabled for them.

At least for Parallels, there is a workaround now:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=260537&page=2

Look for the posts by Parallels employee 'Serv', numner 29 and 31.

Thanks goes to @dpny for finding this.

I can confirm that the workaround does the trick.

ashurao

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
Paris, France
Hello,

in advance, I beg you to excuse me if the question has already been asked (and for spelling mistakes), but I have not found anything.

Is it possible to install 2 GTX 660 Ti in a mac pro without using external power?
Maximum consumption of this card is 150W, the power of PCI-Express connector 6 pins.

Does the card work if it is connected to a single 6-pin cable?

If not, is it possible to feed the second port 6 pins each card with an adapter SATA to 6 pin without damaging the mac pro?

Thank you in advance.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Is it possible to install 2 GTX 660 Ti in a mac pro without using external power?
Maximum consumption of this card is 150W, the power of PCI-Express connector 6 pins.

Does the card work if it is connected to a single 6-pin cable?

If not, is it possible to feed the second port 6 pins each card with an adapter SATA to 6 pin without damaging the mac pro?
Hi, given that Mac Pro provides up to 300W (75W x 2 from auxiliary power ports, 75W x 2 from PCIe slot) for 2 video cards, you could install 2 GTX 660Ti without using external power. Just remember to use 2 reference-spec cards, not overclocked or supercharged versions since these would very likely exceed 150W TDP. You just need two power cables like this type, and connect them in a cross pattern to the 2 cards. It should work fine as long as you get the appropriate power cables and video cards. Don't use any SATA power for video cards, it's not recommended and could be risky. If you don't push both cards under full load over a long period, they should work within the safe power limit.

Last edited:

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I got an issue with a Galaxgy GT 610 not working correctly on Mac Pro 2.1 not showing up on the Windows sides but on the Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion side some other issues, could a driver update fix everything? Any settings do I need on the Expansion utilty slot that should be used?

ashurao

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
Paris, France
Hi, given that Mac Pro provides up to 300W (75W x 2 from auxiliary power ports, 75W x 2 from PCIe slot) for 2 video cards, you could install 2 GTX 660Ti without using external power. Just remember to use 2 reference-spec cards, not overclocked or supercharged versions since these would very likely exceed 150W TDP. You just need two power cables like this type, and connect them in a cross pattern to the 2 cards. It should work fine as long as you get the appropriate power cables and video cards. Don't use any SATA power for video cards, it's not recommended and could be risky. If you don't push both cards under full load over a long period, they should work within the safe power limit.

Hello,

thank you for your answer. Interesting cable. I also thought about a solution like this.
However, I could not buy it, because it does not deliver outside the North American continent (but I could be wrong, because my English is not very good), and I live in France.
I will install these cards for Octane render, so I may push them to their limits. In addition, I wish to install a 3rd card for the screen.

It seems that I will have to use an external power supply. :-(

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I got an issue with a Galaxgy GT 610 not working correctly on Mac Pro 2.1 not showing up on the Windows sides but on the Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion side some other issues, could a driver update fix everything? Any settings do I need on the Expansion utilty slot that should be used?

I got it working on the Windows side cant get it to work correctly on the Mac side, I screwed up the Mac side I reinstalled Mac OS Lion on another harddrive while the the screwed Mac OS harddrive still in there to boot into Windows. Any know why a GT 610 wont work correct on Mac OS 10.7.5?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Hello,

thank you for your answer. Interesting cable. I also thought about a solution like this.
However, I could not buy it, because it does not deliver outside the North American continent (but I could be wrong, because my English is not very good), and I live in France.
I will install these cards for Octane render, so I may push them to their limits. In addition, I wish to install a 3rd card for the screen.

It seems that I will have to use an external power supply. :-(
Those cables can be found from Amazon.com or eBay, just try to give you an idea of what they look like. But for your rendering work, it's better to use an external power supply so you do not need to worry about internal power limit, besides you could choose more powerful GPU than GTX 660Ti. This thread and others can give you some idea how to use an external power supply in Mac Pro.

Pithism

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
This is a random question, but for some websites (specifically The Verge main page), the computer will freeze, and give me the spinning wheel of death and ill have to reboot.

Is this the evga gtx 660 fault or something else? havent really found a solution for it. Im assuming ill need to reinstall mac osx or something, unless their is another idea. Im hoping its not the GPU, because its been running great besides the website issues.

NM its a google issues, just tried on firefox and no issues.

Borman

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Just to confirm, if I hack my 1,1 machine (2,1 after being flashed, really) to run 10.8, all of those cards should work fine, right? Assuming they meet the power requirements and knowing the PCI-e limitation, of course.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Just to confirm, if I hack my 1,1 machine (2,1 after being flashed, really) to run 10.8, all of those cards should work fine, right? Assuming they meet the power requirements and knowing the PCI-e limitation, of course.

Yes. Note that Fermi generation cards (GTX 4xx, GTX 5xx) should work fine in Lion on a 1,1 or 2,1 system.

Borman

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Yes. Note that Fermi generation cards (GTX 4xx, GTX 5xx) should work fine in Lion on a 1,1 or 2,1 system.

Yeah, I had thought about just jumping to the 570. But since I am going to try the upgrade to Mountain Lion anyway, and the bit extra for say, a 660ti won't kill me.

skaneby

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
stockholm
I have the Asus Geoforce GTX 6600

Is it possible get this running on a MacPro early 2008 v 3.1 8 core on 10.8.2 ? If so can you point me to a guide line? After reading the post thought the card would work OOB. But no. I have installed the Nvidia drivers I could find.

Or is this config not supported at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.