Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
UK
are all giving up. the power switch isn't clicking properly, the silence switch doesn't click back and forward very well.

Im not impressed. ive had every iphone from launch and the build quality on this one is the worst, its less than 6 months old! it should last longer than this surely. Actually ive NEVER had any issue with any iphone ive owned before this one

I am going to take it back, however its got a tiny crack on the back in the glass where i knocked it.. ( the buttons were giving up before then anyway, so they are unrelated)

will Apple replace it, given the chipped class? and has anyone else had problems with their buttons?

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
It comes with a one year hardware warranty. If the problems you describe are indeed, I see no reason that apple won't replace it through warranty.

RossMacca

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
If you do go ahead and take it to Apple, can you post to let me know what happened?

My lock and volume-up buttons feel strange sometimes, but I'm worried if I took to the Apple store, they wouldn't be able to replicate the problem.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If you do go ahead and take it to Apple, can you post to let me know what happened?

My lock and volume-up buttons feel strange sometimes, but I'm worried if I took to the Apple store, they wouldn't be able to replicate the problem.

Describe strange. They probably won't replace it if it "feels funny" to you. That's kind of a personal thing that might not feel strange to someone else. You need to show that it either causes a problem or maybe even potentially cause of a problem leading it to not work properly.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Mine has already been replaced due to a home button that often registered double clicks when clicked once.Whole exchange process took maybe 15 minutes.Don't worry,take it back.
BTW,I've owned every iPhone model and this is the first one with any kind of problem,FWIW.
Apple's service is second to none.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
are all giving up. the power switch isn't clicking properly, the silence switch doesn't click back and forward very well.

Im not impressed. ive had every iphone from launch and the build quality on this one is the worst, its less than 6 months old! it should last longer than this surely. Actually ive NEVER had any issue with any iphone ive owned before this one

I am going to take it back, however its got a tiny crack on the back in the glass where i knocked it.. ( the buttons were giving up before then anyway, so they are unrelated)

will Apple replace it, given the chipped class? and has anyone else had problems with their buttons?

My i5 is holding up extremely well, the buttons are solid everything is solid

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If you can take your iPhone into the Apple store and show them that the power button doesn't click right and the silent switch doesn't move smoothly, then they should replace it.

As for the chipped glass, you can do one of two things: either don't mention it and hope the genius doesn't notice or hand the iPhone to the genius in a way that they drop it so you can say "you cracked my iPhone! It wasn't my fault."

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
UK

i will.
my silent button now does not work at all. so ill have to take it.

if they say they wont replace it, ill claim on my insurance for the accidental damage when i dropped it a few months ago.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
my volume up/down buttons wiggle and if I lightly tap it, they make this soft clicking sound.. my lock button and home button are solid though

Do I freak out and try to get it swapped for a refurb? Nope

edit: all buttons work as intended

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
UK
my volume up/down buttons wiggle and if I lightly tap it, they make this soft clicking sound.. my lock button and home button are solid though

Do I freak out and try to get it swapped for a refurb? Nope

edit: all buttons work as intended

I would have lived with buttons that made funny noises. I won't live with a phone that I can't tell if its on silent or not. That switch is now totally useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.