Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
KnightMan
Banned

Samsung And Diamond pixels.

Source
KnightMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this is something that will look different than a traditional screen, la pentile.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I wonder if this is something that will look different than a traditional screen, la pentile.
Its not pentile. its rgb. It very similar to what they used in the note II and what sharp uses in their ASV lcd panels.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Its not pentile. its rgb. It very similar to what they used in the note II and what sharp uses in their ASV lcd panels.
We don't know that it isn't Pentile, yet. But my concern is if you take content designed with square pixels and show it on a display with diamond pixels, there will undoubtedly be distortion. Maybe at a high resolution it would be imperceptible, though.

For example, here is a page that discusses the effect of using diamond pixels on DLP projectors. You can clearly see how text is distorted. That is what I meant by the comparison to pentile. This may be something that if used will create distracting artifacts on screen.

http://www.kguttag.com/2012/02/09/ti-dlp-diamond-pixel/
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
We don't know that it isn't Pentile, yet. But my concern is if you take content designed with square pixels and show it on a display with diamond pixels, there will undoubtedly be distortion. Maybe at a high resolution it would be imperceptible, though.

For example, here is a page that discusses the effect of using diamond pixels on DLP projectors. You can clearly see how text is distorted. That is what I meant by the comparison to pentile. This may be something that if used will create distracting artifacts on screen.

http://www.kguttag.com/2012/02/09/ti-dlp-diamond-pixel/
There won't be distortion. There are several types of lcd panels that have used no square pixels (s-pva), sharp ASV, many others. Not to mention at 440 ppi your not gonna be able to tell the shape of the pixel.

Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
There won't be distortion. There are several types of lcd panels that have used no square pixels (s-pva), sharp ASV, many others. Not to mention at 440 ppi your not gonna be able to tell the shape of the pixel.

All of those panels, though, have a similar layout that works with content created with square pixels. With a diamond it is very different. One square pixel can't be mapped to one diamond pixel, so it would result in a lower effective resolution when displaying pictures or anything not being rendered by the phone.

The document I linked to found that...
Quote:
The obvious problem is that a single pixel on a rectangular grid will cover part of at least 4 or more pixels on the diamond grid. So there has to be some scaling/filtering to map the pixels from the rectangular grid onto the diamond grid.

Any algorithm/filtering/re-sampling by necessity will be a compromise between jagged pixel artifacts and blurring.
At the high resolution, it may not be noticeable, so we'd have to see it in person to know for sure how it would look. I don't trust Samsung after their using Pentile layouts for so long.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices