Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

How to Merge Purchases between Two accounts

Ok so long time ago I was using an @comcast.net email account for iTunes, however a year later I switched to my MobileMe now I would like to take all my app and music purchases and just merge them into my @me.com account?

I do not think there is a way to do this, but can you contact Apple and will they merge the two together? It is so annoying having to use the old ID when I need to update an Old application.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

No, you can't merge accounts. You can change the email address on an account, but not merge purchase history.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID
Quote:
Apple IDs cannot be merged. You should use your preferred Apple ID from now on, but you can still access your purchased items such as music, movies, or software using your other Apple IDs.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:06 PM   #3
jamesdmc
macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. Comcast.net account with a long purchase history. I'd like to merge everything with my mac.com account, but no dice. I've just learned to live with it...sort of.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

You can authorize the device for both accounts and enjoy the content from each though.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
wicked23
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
You can authorize the device for both accounts and enjoy the content from each though.
How do you authorize a device for two accounts? My wife and I are trying to figure out the best way to combine out accounts into one.
wicked23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Do you both sync to iTunes using a single computer or do you each have your own computer?
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:13 AM   #7
new-to-mac
macrumors member

a bit off topic but is it possible to have 2 itunes accounts and have apps from both itunes accounts on the same ipad?

basically I have an itunes account linked to an email with a specific country. I would like to create a new itunes account with either the same email or a different email but with a different country and be able to access any app purchased with either itunes account at any time on my ipad without having to change apple id
new-to-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
kgs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-mac View Post
a bit off topic but is it possible to have 2 itunes accounts and have apps from both itunes accounts on the same ipad?

basically I have an itunes account linked to an email with a specific country. I would like to create a new itunes account with either the same email or a different email but with a different country and be able to access any app purchased with either itunes account at any time on my ipad without having to change apple id

Install apps, download music, etc

Log out

Install apps, download music, etc

Repeat.

Note that any updates to purchased apps require you log into the purchased account to update.

This lets you use existing apps and purchases. But all future purchases should probably be purchased on the new account.

Me? I just changed my AppleID email when I needed to.

Me@gmail.com

Logged in on AppleID.apple.com

Changed email

Now all my purchases are tied to that email. Not the old one. Don't create a new AppleID. Just change the email.
kgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-mac View Post

kgs covered this well. But, I'm not sure if it will work for multiple countries as Apple may have other restrictions or possibly some apps that are available in one country's store but not the other. Doesn't hurt to try though.
Pharmscott is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:34 AM   #10
new-to-mac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmscott View Post
kgs covered this well. But, I'm not sure if it will work for multiple countries as Apple may have other restrictions or possibly some apps that are available in one country's store but not the other. Doesn't hurt to try though.
Yes this was actually the main point. Some apps and movies are only available in some countries. Some apps are significantly cheaper in the US itunes store. I will give it a go and let you know how it works out.

thanks for the input
new-to-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 09:13 PM   #11
ewm3
macrumors newbie

apps to iPad from different computers

Hi
I have an iMac, Macbook pro and iPad 2
I usually download apps to iPad from the iMac - no problem
I tried to download apps to iPad from Macbook pro - problems!
I got an app and tried to sync the iPad from the Macbook Pro. I received a warning that all apps would be removed from the iPad. Also, all the apps appear 'greyed out' on the Macbook version of iTunes.
I used same account info, authorised computers etc.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by ewm3; Apr 4, 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: to add information
ewm3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:16 PM   #12
kgs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewm3 View Post
Hi
I have an iMac, Macbook pro and iPad 2
I usually download apps to iPad from the iMac - no problem
I tried to download apps to iPad from Macbook pro - problems!
I got an app and tried to sync the iPad from the Macbook Pro. I received a warning that all apps would be removed from the iPad. Also, all the apps appear 'greyed out' on the Macbook version of iTunes.
I used same account info, authorised computers etc.
Any suggestions?
Turn on manual syncing not automatic syncing.

You can then drag the apps into the iPad from the MBP.

You can only "sync" an iOS device with a single computer. It's best if you dedicate one computer to it, otherwise you have to set one of the computers to manual and i believe it is also a one way "sync" in that case.
kgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store