Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I lost $2,370 in Apple stock in the last 4 months. Not worth being happy about.

Where did you lose it, under the sofa?

Look, you're holding, I mean looking at it wrong.

Did you have to realize that loss and sell it? No?
If you buy more during this correction, how will you feel
when it goes back up again?

Bottom line: look at it as a possible opportunity to
make up for the slide of the last few months by
dollar cost averaging your investment.

Good luck.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
$350 seems highly unlikely, but if that's your target buy point, I can see why you like it when Apple does stuff wrong.

Based on my comment why would you say that? You have no idea what my history of purchases/sales are.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
This whole deal is being gamed by someone or someones.

Apple should just take their big pile of cash and buy as much of their own stock as they can, or take the whole company private and get over it.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Where did you lose it, under the sofa?

Look, you're holding, I mean looking at it wrong.

Did you have to realize that loss and sell it? No?
If you buy more during this correction, how will you feel
when it goes back up again?

Bottom line: look at it as a possible opportunity to
make up for the slide of the last few months by
dollar cost averaging your investment.

Good luck.

I don't know about other people, but this is how I look at it:

If I'm holding stock, I make money whenever it rises and lose money whenever it falls even if I don't sell. In this case, if I had known about the dip in advance somehow, I could have sold it all then bought again at the bottom, so I have lost potential money. When I sell, I just stop the ride and count my score.

Explained another way by valuing stock relative to money and money relative to stock:

If I sell or short then stock goes up, I lose money.
If I buy then stock goes up, I gain money.
If I buy then stock goes down, I lose money.
If I sell or short then stock goes down, I gain money.

Even holding money is essentially shorting the stock because if the stock price goes down, my money will be worth more relative to one share.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I don't know about other people, but this is how I look at it:

If I'm holding stock, I make money whenever it rises and lose money whenever it falls even if I don't sell. In this case, if I had known about the dip in advance somehow, I could have sold it all then bought again at the bottom, so I have lost potential money. When I sell, I just stop the ride and count my score.

living the dream. this is like saying if i put the right lotto numbers instead of the wrong one, i would've made millions of dollars.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Sorry, not impressed. I lost $100K, which is nothing compared to Tim Cook's $100 million loss.

Here is hoping Apple doubles the dividend soon to cheer me up a little!

I'm sorry I didn't impress you. I'll try harder next time. :rolleyes:

More importantly, why have so many eggs in one basket?

StevethePirate

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Those boo hooing the results can go **** themselves. I've still got a bucket of shares I bought at $12, I'm happy.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Well, you haven't lost anything until you sell. But yeah, the $700 peak seemed pretty obvious at the time. It definitely wasn't going any higher - after all, what new product would have pushed it above? The iPad mini?

I don't see how that was obvious at all... you had the iPhone 5 and potentially the iPad mini and a new TV. Quite a few people thought Apple peaked throughout their runup to 700 and got burned. There's no way to know this stuff for sure. People who study this stuff for a living are often wrong.

Even now, who's to say they won't quickly get back up to $600 or $700 or even higher? The year's just begun and Apple has China Mobile and NTT DoCoMo in its sights along with over 200 carriers that still don't carry the iPhone. And by adding T-Mobile to the mix, they're likely to dominate US smartphones for awhile... just a few years ago, some people were saying that Apple lost to Android in the US and wouldn't recover.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I went through the whole transition process. All I had to do was click the finalize trasnation and sell button. I balked and now I'm paying for it. So yes, I lost money one this one.

Well, I tried.

One last thought.
You won't have to pay the increased capital gains taxes if you had sold.
It will go back up.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
We are now truly in the Tim Cook era

Apple maps: LOL
iOS 6: the most pathetic update in iOS history
iPhone 5: only slightly taller, market wanted bigger screens like SG3
iPad 3: dead after 6 months
iPad mini: leaked months in advance, no retina
iMac: major supply issues

this is the Tim Cook era

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
they will badly need disruptive new product or at least leaps and bounds improvements to existing ones. And there are no winds of that for past couple years and counting.

Let's take Apple out of the picture for a moment.

Who else can we count on to deliver all these disruptive new products?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Yeah, they deserve it.

The problem isn't their "flat growth". It's the money in the bank.

Let's say you own $50K worth of Apple shares (so about 100 shares). They offered a $2.65 dividend per share. So you would make about $265 on your $50K investment.

Does anyone else see a problem with that? It's insulting to say the least.

iOS and Mac OS X are rotting, and rather then investing their cash in fixing stuff and making the most solid and wonderful ecosystem they can- they're sitting on it. But hey, we're getting another iPhone model (woo fragmentation) and some new laptops and iMacs that look and work precisely the same as the old ones in a bit. Go Apple!

They don't need to innovate to get ahead, they're already ahead of the game in every single area. It's just that the majority of their stuff doesn't work perfectly when it should, and combined with that insult of a dividend everyone is kind of wondering what the hell they have ~$130B in the bank for.

-SC

1Alec1

macrumors regular
We are now truly in the Tim Cook era

Apple maps: LOL You've got a point here, though its badness is exaggerated of course.

iOS 6: the most pathetic update in iOS history Have you SEEN iOS 5? I didn't even realize I updated.

iPhone 5: only slightly taller, market wanted bigger screens like SG3 Uh, it is bigger! Taller screen => bigger screen. Area = l*w. And it's not Apple's job to care what the market wants anyway.

iPad 3: dead after 6 months Explain because I have no idea why it would be "dead".

iPad mini: leaked months in advance, no retina Sold more than expected, stole full-size tablet market share because it was so good, and everything is leaked months in advance.

iMac: major supply issues Major not-being-updated issues; still a minus point for Cook, but as a previous iMac owner I can say that Jobs has done MUCH worse things in the past.

this is the Tim Cook era

Bold.

Last edited:

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Apple is not innovating. Apple is not disrupting.

Sure, so basically Google is disrupting right? Samsung is? HTC is? Microsoft is? Dell is?

Do we really want to live our life with Apple innovating OR do we just keep forcing our lives and Apple and cry for innovation? What is wrong with us?

It took 17 years for the industry to go beyond the PC to the hit MP3 player and then it took 6-7 years for the best smartphone to come out. What is wrong with you all?

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I took a mortgage on my house for $400,000, bought shares at 400 or so and sold at $700 about 8 months later. Easiest money I ever made. People were spitting at me saying how I had no experience. Shows how much the experts know.

Ecofriend

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Is it really that big a deal that profits didn't see a big rise, Apple still made more money than a lot of companies would ever dream. People need to look past projections and analysis, and view the company for what it is.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
I took a mortgage on my house for $400,000, bought shares at 400 or so and sold at $700 about 8 months later. Easiest money I ever made. People were spitting at me saying how I had no experience. Shows how much the experts know.

Haha, experts suck, really. It's supposed to be great if they beat the S&P500, but I've beaten it every year even with the ANALysts downgrading my stocks, and I'm a total noob. But realize that you could have lost money on that if your call was bad.

----------

Is it really that big a deal that profits didn't see a big rise, Apple still made more money than a lot of companies would ever dream. People need to look past projections and analysis, and view the company for what it is.

That's not how the market works. You buy based on what you think it will do. Otherwise, AAPL would be doubling every day.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
umm dont know how much investitors trust in those results, something fishy is going there.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Based on my comment why would you say that? You have no idea what my history of purchases/sales are.

The history doesn't matter. Whatever price someone buys at is the price from which he expects the stock to go up, and whatever price someone does NOT buy at is the price from which he expects it to go down... in theory. Of course, people would only trade the stocks they're looking at, and trade commissions limit who can trade and when, but you're apparently monitoring AAPL, and I just have to assume that you're buying in enough quantity to overcome $20 in commission.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.