Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:46 PM   #26
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
I think some people do not understand this product:

power for your MacBook + 10W USB using one power outlet...
That picture makes way more sense than the one in the article. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:46 PM   #27
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
I believe he means that two of the prongs are slanted, compared, to say, US plugs, which are straight. In the US, if you don't have the third prong (for the ground), you could flip your plug upside down, and still be able to plug in.

When I was living in Australia, I couldn't do that. Try flipping your plug upside down, and plug into the socket in the wall. the prongs will be at right angles to the connectors in the socket.

BL.
I think what he's saying is this plug adapter has the two slanted pins mirror to the Apple plug adapter*. So with the Apple Adapter the inserted in to the wall the power brick hangs below the point. With this one it would stand up above the power point.

Given our plug isn't reversible but it's seems the Apple plug adapter and plugbug plug adapter are interchangeable then buying a plugbug here might be useful where you wish our plug was reversible. Like the US/EU one is.

*by plug adapter I mean the lump of plastic with the pins, not the lump that has the transformer in it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:47 PM   #28
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Yes, I understand what "only goes in one way" means

I just mean that I'm hard-pressed to think of any reason (other than the poor design mentioned above) that you'd actually *want* to plug it in upside down.
You may have something plugged into one of the plugs in a 2-plug socket that is big enough that it impedes one way of plugging something into the second socket, but if you were to turn it upside down, it would still plug in.

Or, let's say that you have a power strip plugged into that bottom socket, and it can't be unplugged for some reason (assume all of the plugs on the strip are full). You have a battery charger for a camera you need to plug in, and normally, the charger faces down. plugging it into the top won't work, because it runs into the bottom plug. Flip it upside down, and you're golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
I think what he's saying is this plug adapter has the two slanted pins mirror to the Apple plug adapter*. So with the Apple Adapter the inserted in to the wall the power brick hangs below the point. With this one it would stand up above the power point.

Given our plug isn't reversible but it's seems the Apple plug adapter and plugbug plug adapter are interchangeable then buying a plugbug here might be useful where you wish our plug was reversible. Like the US/EU one is.

*by plug adapter I mean the lump of plastic with the pins, not the lump that has the transformer in it.
Very true. That would come in handy, and surely would have if it existed for some other things when I lived there.

The only thing I have a concern about is that, again, when I lived there (1995 - 1997) is that while we had the adapters that helped out, the voltage couldn't be swapped, so I'm assuming autoswapping or something similar is built in. I fried my razor when I was down there, because while I was able to plug it in, it couldn't swap from 110v to 240v, and wore out the razor.

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:59 PM   #29
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Or, let's say that you have a power strip plugged into that bottom socket, and it can't be unplugged for some reason (assume all of the plugs on the strip are full). You have a battery charger for a camera you need to plug in, and normally, the charger faces down. plugging it into the top won't work, because it runs into the bottom plug. Flip it upside down, and you're golden.
Or your in a hotel room and the only visible power point is placed to close to the furniture to plug in even an Apple USB charger.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:31 PM   #30
topmike
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
Personally I find our 3-pin plug a PITA. Aside from them always falling prongs up so you stand on them (probably the most painful thing you'll ever stand on) the earth pin is largely redundant nowadays as nearly everything is double-insulated so its only function is to open the gates on the line and neutral sockets.

I like the European design where the earth connector, if required, is on the edge of the plug.

As for PlugBug, it's a great idea but why can't you buy the individual plug separately? I don't reckon I'd ever need any more than the UK and EU ones so the other three would be a waste of money.
Well, now that you asked.....

The UK 13 amp square pin plug is used in a number of other countries, such as Ireland, Malta, Singapore and even the Middle East, however, it was designed for a specific purpose for the large British post-war domestic building programme. The plug has an integrated fuse, which replaced the necessity to have a whole house fuse box. :-)
topmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:44 PM   #31
Nermal

Quote:
You may have something plugged into one of the plugs in a 2-plug socket that is big enough that it impedes one way of plugging something into the second socket, but if you were to turn it upside down, it would still plug in.
Aha! Understood. All the 2-plug sockets at my place are horizontal so I haven't run into this, but I have seen the vertical ones so I can see where that's an issue.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:47 PM   #32
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncollingridge View Post
Why in the world does the UK adapter need to be so BIG! The Apple one is a fraction of the size and does the exact same job.
Agreed.

On the other hand, what is it with that vibrant red. You can be seen charging from 2 zip codes away.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:42 AM   #33
VAvW
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The PlugBug World is available at TwelveSouth.com for $44.99 / 39.99 / 44,99 EUR.
+$25, or even $30 to ship this bite sized gadget. http://twelvesouth.com/shipping-returns/
#fail
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 AM   #34
tgara
macrumors regular

I bought the original Plugbug a few months ago. I like it so much that I gave a couple as holiday gifts to my brother and my wife. I no longer need to carry my iPad or iPhone charger when I travel with my MBA laptop.

I may pick up this new international model and sell my US/Canada model. My only complaint about this device is the red color. I wish it was white instead to match the OEM Apple charger.
tgara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 PM   #35
pika2000
macrumors 6502a

Pretty nice concept. I wish they sell the adapters for each country individually. I mean why I should pay for the ones I may not need?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #36
Mactastic21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAvW View Post
+$25, or even $30 to ship this bite sized gadget. http://twelvesouth.com/shipping-returns/
#fail
According to the company's FB page "it will be available in Apple Stores worldwide next month." So maybe not so much a fail as a delay?

I've got the original and I'm getting one of these and giving my original away.
Mactastic21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:54 PM   #37
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Why not just carry a converter? At least that will work with all your devices?

A convert is only a $1.00 or so.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:42 PM   #38
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Why not just carry a converter? At least that will work with all your devices?

A convert is only a $1.00 or so.
Because that would mean that you would need a separate converter for a separate charger for your Mac, and a separate converter for a separate charger for your iPhone/iPad, as well as charge cords for both.

So you'd be looking at 6 different accessories for 2 devices alone, when that could be consolidated down to 4 (charger for the Mac, PlugBug, Int'l Adapter, charge cord for your iPhone/iPad). Much less to carry around.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #39
Coxy
macrumors newbie

Has anyone plugged a PlugBug into an iPad charger to create a dual USB charger? Just wondering if it works and how it looks.

Useful for those that have 2 iPads or an iPhone and iPad etc
Coxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:45 AM   #40
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davmeister View Post
I have to say I do like the solidity and design of our (British) 3 prong plug compared to others...even if it does stick out a bit
I thought that. Until the first time I stood on one barefoot. Damn things! :P

And I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it was white. Being red looks ugly IMO.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:29 PM   #41
rayjay86
macrumors regular

Considering buying this.

I'm traveling through Asia and ending in India this year and am wondering if the adapters that come will work for India. The two prong round adapter looks like it would fit but I'm not sure if that is for the European plugs or not...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion