Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1
davidra
macrumors 6502

Slowly for this newbie: ISO images

Sorry, but I've looked through 25 threads and I still am not sure about this. I am waiting for an iMac. I have a product key for Windows 7 but no disk. I am downloading an ISO file from mydigitallife and saving it to a folder on my PC. I want to be able to install it into Parallels on the Mac (which I have as well). What do I do with the ISO file after it's downloaded? Just burn it to a DVD and read it with the Mac? I've also tried looking on the Parallels website but everyone seems to assume you have a bootable disk with the ISO on it and I"m not sure how to make that using a PC....
davidra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #2
snorkelman
macrumors 6502

no need to burn the iso to a bootable disk if you're using it as install media for a parallels/virtualbox/VMware virtual machine, just transfer the iso over to the mac (via memory stick, network, or burning as a file onto a DVD-R)

then when you run parallels choose

'install windows or other OS from DVD or Image file'

then hit continue

at next screen it'll ask you for your source media, click the default 'Install from' entry and a drop down list will appear

select the choose an image file option and you can then browse to wherever your iso file is
snorkelman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Parallels can install Windows directly from an ISO, so no need to burn it to a disc. Either download the ISO to your Mac, or transfer it over from your other computer. Start Parallels and follow the onscreen instructions; it's fairly straightforward.

edit: ninja'd by snorkelman!
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
davidra
macrumors 6502

Continuing this thread....have installed Parallels 8. I have purchased a copy of Windows 7 32 bit, but people have said on the site that this key would work with an iso of 64 bit; I downloaded the iso as above from mydigitallife, which seems to be the most up to date copy. When I tried to install it, it took the key, began the installation, then gave me a message something like the key would not work with this windows iso. A black box was open, typical DOS looking box, with a message that said something about no boot available. The Mac froze; mouse wouldn't move, keyboard wouldn't work. The Window said to release the mouse press Ctrl/Alt (which of course doesn't exactly exist). I tried a number of possibilities but couldn't release the mouse so I shut down the Mac and restarted it with no problems. My take-home message, I suppose, is that you can't use a 32 bit key with a 64 bit ISO?? I'd really rather have 64 bit, and I can't install the 32 bit because I'm waiting for my external drive to show up. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidra View Post
Continuing this thread....have installed Parallels 8. I have purchased a copy of Windows 7 32 bit, but people have said on the site that this key would work with an iso of 64 bit; I downloaded the iso as above from mydigitallife, which seems to be the most up to date copy. When I tried to install it, it took the key, began the installation, then gave me a message something like the key would not work with this windows iso. A black box was open, typical DOS looking box, with a message that said something about no boot available. The Mac froze; mouse wouldn't move, keyboard wouldn't work. The Window said to release the mouse press Ctrl/Alt (which of course doesn't exactly exist). I tried a number of possibilities but couldn't release the mouse so I shut down the Mac and restarted it with no problems. My take-home message, I suppose, is that you can't use a 32 bit key with a 64 bit ISO?? I'd really rather have 64 bit, and I can't install the 32 bit because I'm waiting for my external drive to show up. Any suggestions?
  • There is no such thing as a 32-bit or 64-bit key. Retail copy's of Windows 7 come with both 32 & 64-bit discs.
  • "the key would not work with this windows iso"... That's not a error message I have ever seen, nor is it a error message that even exists in Windows Setup. Windows (7) doesn't ask you to enter a Product Key until after setup is finished, and even then its optional (there's a skip option).
  • "no boot available" Again, write down the exact error message.
  • Ctrl (Control) and Alt (Option) are on the lower left hand side of a Apple Keyboard.
---

I'd be happy to give you a walkthrough on how to install Windows in Parallels Desktop 8 but its not a piece of software I own. Your doing something wrong, I'm not exactly sure what. The other possibility is you bought a fake Product Key and/or have a bad ISO?

P.S. Please separate your thoughts into paragraphs.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:38 AM   #6
davidra
macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll try it again tonight after work. The key is from a brand new educational version of Windows 7 32 bit; I am sure it's valid. I guess my question regards the iso file. A number of posts here referred to mydigitallife as having the up to date iso files, but given this I'm not sure those are functional. I will give it another shot....thanks. Sorry for the lack of specifics on the error messages; I wasn't expecting them and got involved in trying to shut things down.....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

=\ I've downloaded a trial copy of Parallels Desktop 8. I'll post back with a Windows 7 install guide in a little bit.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Here are the 64-Bit Windows 7 ISO's:
Parallels seems to let you install any version you want with any ISO (by blocking ei.cfg), so it shouldn't matter which one you download.

Last edited by Quad5Ny; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Once Windows 7 is installed, Windows itself should get a prompt to enter a Product key. You can try entering it in Parallels but you said that gave you trouble before.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
davidra
macrumors 6502

That may have been the issue; I remember the product key request came up very soon after I clicked on the iso file and it started installation. I guess this time I'll try just leaving it alone.....I'm wondering how long it takes to actually install from the ISO file?

And if I get the "wrong key" message I'll make sure I correctly transmit it....

Last edited by davidra; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

I didn't have time to run through the full install on Parallels but its usually somewhere around 5-15min depending on how fast your computer is.

Remember uncheck "This Version Requires a Product Key". Then when asked what version you want to install, choose what you purchased. The educational copies are usually "Windows 7 Professional".
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:11 PM   #12
davidra
macrumors 6502

Ahh. Thanks. The problem was that I had checked (requires key) in Parallels. The installation went fine; I've not been prompted to enter a key at this point. You may not know this, but where can I go to try and enter the key, or should I just wait for it to ask me at some point?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidra View Post
where can I go to try and enter the key, or should I just wait for it to ask me at some point?
Follow these instructions.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac