Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:47 PM   #76
absynth
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
Too late apple; in the face of stiff competition from the galaxy S3, all you could give us was a bland iPhone 5!

My iPhone 4 contract is up and I'm seriously looking at the galaxy note 2 or waiting a few months more for the galaxy S4 ... Which I'm confident will outdo apples iPhone 6 as all apple seems to be concerned about these days is rushing out under spec'd products knowing people will buy whatever ... Then bring out updated versions 6 months later knowing apple sheep will spend spend spend again (citing the iPad mini ... Which I refuse to buy as I know the retina model will be out soon ... As it should have been in the first place!)

Can anyone give me a VERY good reason why I shouldn't buy a galaxy over an iPhone (knowing I've been an apple user for 15 years so I'm pretty clued up on owning many apple products).
Because they make cheap and ugly phones? if you are gonna go with android, coming from apple, I'd expect people to look for quality build and good design, like the Sony Xperia Z...

Sony seriously upped the ante with their new Z line of phones and tablets.
absynth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:34 PM   #77
dmx3698
macrumors newbie

Why

4.8 inch screen doesn't make sense. By going 5 inch screen that will make it a cinema view screen.
dmx3698 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:25 PM   #78
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
well thats no fun. we want more choices!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:35 AM   #79
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
I realize that plastic is cheaper than aluminum but the latter is a very cheap material too (and there's not much of it used in an iPhone shell "as is"). How much of a difference could switching the shell material make in the cost of the "cheap" iPhone? $10? Maybe $20?
It's not just the cost of the material, but the cost of machining the aluminium. Still, I've wondered the same thing—how much more could aluminium really be adding to each iPhone?

Quote:
I perceive the concept of a need for a cheaper iPhone to be something that competes with the really cheap Android smart phones (which can be had for much less than $300, $500, or $700 off contract) is going to take more than just replacing a little aluminum with a little plastic. That switch helps cut unit cost (a little). I would think much more would have to be cut to have a shot at a truly cheap iPhone that still gives Apple it's target margin.
Question: Should Apple be holding onto that 'target margin'? It's over 70% on the 64 GB iPhone by some estimates! Whatever it is, it's clearly the highest in the industry when you look at Apple's profits. When you buy an iPhone (especially the 64 GB model), mostly you're just contributing to that huge pile of cash Apple sits on. If Apple wants a more competitively priced phone, perhaps the only thing that really needs to 'be cut' is their profit margin.

Perhaps by adding a plastic option and marking it down, while maintaining the high price on the aluminium model, Apple will be trying to reinforce the perception that metal is a high-quality material, while plastic is cheap. Marketing, after all, is about consumer perception and pricing has more to do with what people are prepared to pay, than what an item actually costs to manufacture.
kalsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:08 AM   #80
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

I honestly think they will phase out the "S" model of iPhones. As already pointed out, minor updates like the S model phones just aren't going to cut it anymore.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:32 AM   #81
VoR
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Perhaps by adding a plastic option and marking it down, while maintaining the high price on the aluminium model, Apple will be trying to reinforce the perception that metal is a high-quality material, while plastic is cheap. Marketing, after all, is about consumer perception and pricing has more to do with what people are prepared to pay, than what an item actually costs to manufacture.
Not sure why this metal/plastic comparison keeps coming up. Do people fawn over the minimalist form of an aluminum drink can before they chuck it in the nearest dustbin?
You're right, it's all about perception.
VoR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:32 AM   #82
Dreamer2go
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
Well I for one am moving to a Galaxy exactly because of the bigger screen! Take my advice, go into a phone shop and play around with a galaxy note 2 and then an S3 ... Then use your iPhone and you'll see why Apple needs to bring out a 5" screen model.

Apple haven't been a 'leader' for a LONG time ... all apple are concerned about is making things thinner, even at the expense of loosing key components like optical drives (and look at the iMac with the SD slot on the back!!!!).

People call apple buyers sheep and as an apple user for 15 years I've never liked this term; but now I think it's true ... Just look at what apple is bringing out in comparison to the competition ... and the price!
I have a S3. Too big for my hands... I couldn't use it one hand.
I like the iPhone 5 screen size. One hand use, genius... especially when I'm driving (to use maps)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion